Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Ah poo poo, this lines up semi-closely to what I was going to be doing all January anyway. I'm. . .kind of in.

Basically, I'm doing an independent study next semester to create a tabletop RPG that's designed to be played in the browser of a phone, tablet, or laptop--sort of Jackbox style. I'm trying to make a dungeon crawlish RPG with a living digital rulebook/character sheet that's built so that you can introduce new players to it and let the game interface kind of naturally teach them how to play and automate things for them to avoid the whole "okay, now memorize this book before you can have fun" problem RPGs struggle with. My semester starts late January, and I'm hoping to have a prototype of it done by then.

So I'm making something that's actually meant to be played face to face, but that uses the internet to do so (and would hopefully work just fine with Skype). I'm also going to be spending more time programming and trying to wrangle database hosting than I will be making game rules, and what I'll have by the end is going to be stupidly stupidly prototypish and unfinished--odds are strong I won't be able to pull off inter-device communication in only a month. All that said, this seems close enough that I'd love to enter as a semi-contestant--possibly not eligible for prize-winnings, but still posting updates and commentary here. Is that cool with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Well, this is what I have so far.

It's still very much in progress and full of placeholder stuff that makes it unusable. My goal is to have it good enough that someone could use it as a module/GM screen type thing by Valentine's Day. I also decided that figuring out stuff like how much data I can realistically display on the screen before poo poo gets hard to use should take priority over any sort of networking logic, since usability needs are probably going to end up demanding pretty radical redesigns to the project, so this doesn't really fit the contest at all.

• Locked thread