Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
So I suppose a bit of background:

I met my wife a little over 3 years ago and we got married last October. She grew up on a farm around dogs and I grew up in the city having never owned a dog. We currently are in a dog-friendly apartment building (we have a 4 year old cat who did spend his kitten years with a border collie) and are in the process of buying a house. My wife has been hounding me (no pun intended) to get a dog for awhile but I've been hesitant just due to our work schedule and arrangements. The work schedule has slowed down dramatically and I now feel we have the availability and resources to be able to adequately care for a dog. Having grown up in northern Canada she really wanted a Husky but I was not keen having done some research and seeing that they are really high strung, very demanding and prone to separation anxiety due to being pack animals. After discussing it at length, we agreed that a good breed for us and our future life would be a Border Collie. We are both quite active and we wanted a breed that is intelligent, would fit an active lifestyle, and would be well behaved around people and children. I am still quite hesitant about getting a dog but my wife is very supportive of my concerns about making sure the dog receives plenty of attention and exercise and training. I intend to put the pup into training right away. Crate training for sure, and obedience training as time goes on. We have agreed that we will not get a puppy until the summer when we can take 3+ weeks off each back to back to ensure we have a solid 6-8 weeks to be home during the first couple months of ownership.

We have a long time before we will take on a pup but I'm doing the leg work now so I can be sure we're making the right choice. I suppose I'm a little uptight in that I want an ethical breeder that has pups with a strong lineage. I've done some preliminary searching but all I seem to find is geoshitties sites that are obviously puppy farms. What do I need to be looking for?

More to the point, what else should me and my wife be discussing and be prepared for venturing into this? I'm about as careful as they come and I feel we're ready but what else aside from what I've listed above should we be looking at? Is there anything else with a Border Collie breed that we should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't realize Border Collies were that demanding. I consider us active but now I'm not really sure we're that active. We are still open to breed suggestions and I do like the Australian Shepard. We'll definitely look into it.

• Locked thread