Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

briang posted:

the rams have not had a winning season since 2003.

Ways to improve the team:
Fire brian schottenheimer
cut jared cook, jake long, joe barksdale, scott wells immediately
actually discipline players for committing drive-killing penalties and/or giving up big plays
cut Shaun hill

That's a start.

Not emptyquoting. Schotty is a moron and sucks and has always sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can't even begin to give a poo poo about the Redskins at this point, especially if they keep Haslett or fire Gruden.

From the top to the bottom burn everything to the ground.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The only thing good about this season is that we aren't the niners.

Cap hell is coming. :suicide:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BexGu posted:

From the top to the bottom burn everything to the ground.

For me the solution was to start cheering for the Ravens. I went to the Browns game on Sunday. It was an incredible experience. The stadium is really nice, people were friendly, and it took me less than 15 minutes to get out of the city after I walked to my car. And I left at the end of the game along with everyone else. Relative to the unmitigated shithole that is FedEx Field it's like night and day.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I've never met someone who seriously and completely changed sports rooting interests as an adult, I hope you do it because it seems like a smart move. I don't even start rooting for a World Cup team until its the quarterfinals and I know who's good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My dad has gone CLE-PHI-DEN over his 70 years.

But that matched geographical relocations and new wives.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pron on VHS posted:

I've never met someone who seriously and completely changed sports rooting interests as an adult, I hope you do it because it seems like a smart move. I don't even start rooting for a World Cup team until its the quarterfinals and I know who's good

I figure I can root for both teams since they're in completely different conferences and rarely play each other.

A few years ago I was chatting with my grandmother, and we talked about football teams. She's a huge Ravens fan, and I mentioned I was a Redskins fan. She just looked at me with the weirdest look and flat out said "WHY?"

I didn't have an answer for her. :(

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
The only good thing I can say about the Bucs is they didn't gently caress themselves over getting Mariota. Also that Steelers win was pretty funny.

Good gravy everything on offense but the receiver position is a mess. If they can get something that resembles an offensive line and Mariota turns out well, the offense can be serviceable under new coordination. My expectation is 5-11 after starting 3-2 and having a massive mid-season collapse.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

marioinblack posted:

The only good thing I can say about the Bucs is they didn't gently caress themselves over getting Mariota. Also that Steelers win was pretty funny.

Good gravy everything on offense but the receiver position is a mess. If they can get something that resembles an offensive line and Mariota turns out well, the offense can be serviceable under new coordination. My expectation is 5-11 after starting 3-2 and having a massive mid-season collapse.

Yeah that or they draft Winston because they know the majority of the fan base wants him. (I don't)

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

MindlessHavok posted:

Yeah that or they draft Winston because they know the majority of the fan base wants him. (I don't)

Don't speak of my greatest fears. Knowing the Bucs great history of quarterbacking, this would sadly not surprise me.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.

MindlessHavok posted:

If the JFF to Dallas situation is any indication, Bucs are taking Winston and it's going to be amazing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I feel like the Bucs have been just churning through Qbs.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

euphronius posted:

I feel like the Bucs have been just churning through Qbs.

It was more or less Freeman to Glennon, and I don't even count McCown. I can't remember who was before Freeman. There have been higher turnovers (Browns, Cardinals, Raiders).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

It was more or less Freeman to Glennon, and I don't even count McCown. I can't remember who was before Freeman. There have been higher turnovers (Browns, Cardinals, Raiders).

There was a year where Byron Leftwich started then it went Josh Johnson then Freeman. Before that it was pretty much Jeff Garcia/Brian Griese. Sprinkle in Tim Rattay, Luke McCown, Chris Simms and Bruce Gradkowski for a couple years...

Brad Johnson/Shaun King and Trent Dilfer for years before that and I got nothing before that off the top of my head. Testaverde but I'm sure there was some guys between him and Dilfter. So yeah not a WHOLE lot but god drat that's a rough list.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Josh Johnson looked pretty good from what I remember. But everyone thought Freeman was a no doubter.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Josh Johnson looked pretty good from what I remember. But everyone thought Freeman was a no doubter.

I thought Johnson looked good too. That rookie season of Freeman's was something else...cant really blame anyone for thinking they'd found the Franchise QB.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

Holy poo poo a Titans fan

We need to get him in captivity so he can breed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For me the solution was to start cheering for the Ravens.

I'm so disappointed in you right now.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Cut:
Harris
Stephenson
Allen
Jenkins
Mays
Fasano
Maybe Devito I dunno I kinda like Howard and Bailey as the ends
Owens
Fleming

Keep:
Mauga
Hudson
Daniel
Definitely Hali
Probably Coleman to help cover up the hole we suddenly have at safety
GIVE ALL OUR MONEY TO HOUSTON IMMEDIATELY

Draft: CB, LG, RT maybe, WR in the late rounds

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I figured you would want to cut all of the Wide Receivers that didn't have a touchdown this season.

All of them

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

The Bills have signed 10 players to reserve/futures contracts: S Deon Broomfield, G William Campbell, LB Jimmy Gaines, WR Caleb Holley, DE Bryan Johnson, G D.J. Morrell, WR Tobias Palmer, CB Rod Sweeting, DT Jeremy Towns, QB Jeff Tuel.

Tuel Time returns.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Ostentatious posted:

I figured you would want to cut all of the Wide Receivers that didn't have a touchdown this season.

All of them

Nah, don't do that. They're not a terrible unit, all in all.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If you go a whole season without getting a WR a TD, it's not 100% on them.

Last time was 1964. That's ~3 years before the Super Bowl era. That embarrassment's on the organization as a whole.

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 30, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Chargers offseason priorities:

1. Extend Philip Rivers and Eric Weddle. Their current deals expire in 2015.
2. Sign King Dunlap to a multi year deal
3. Sign Brandon Flowers and Eddie Royal
4. Bring in some capable guards/centers in free agency. We need guys who can protect Rivers now, we can't start three rookies and let them grow into it. Rivers will die if that happens.
5. Bring in another WR, someone with some speed, be it through free agency or the draft.
6. Draft OL and DL. While we need to bring in free agents that can protect Rivers, we still need to be concerned about the future. We need guards and a center, along with some DEs and DTs. Corey Liuget is the only for-sure starter in 2015.
7. SS and OLB are a secondary priority in the draft/free agency

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

sweet thursday posted:

Last time was 1964. That's ~3 years before the Super Bowl era. That embarrassment's on the organization as a whole.

Eh Kelce is the best target on the team by far.

It is kind of crazy that this happened with an Andy Reid coached team though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

Dwayne Bowe looked like one of the better receivers in the league before Alex Smith got there, as I recall it at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

Dwayne Bowe looked like one of the better receivers in the league before Alex Smith got there, as I recall it at least.

He had a couple of 1100 yard years, one with a lot of TDs, then tanked with the rest of the team in 2012. Signed a big contract and has sucked since then.

Todd Haley has a lot of faults but I do think he mostly does a good job with wide receivers, he was the coach for most of those two good years.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

He had a couple of 1100 yard years, one with a lot of TDs, then tanked with the rest of the team in 2012. Signed a big contract and has sucked since then.

Todd Haley has a lot of faults but I do think he mostly does a good job with wide receivers, he was the coach for most of those two good years.

So do you think Bowe just sucks now or what? I was hoping if he left in FA we might get him for a cheap one year prove-it deal like we had with Bennet.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man I don't know, he still does some cool stuff now and then but it's really rare and he seems to have trouble getting open. Part of that could be because there aren't any other wide receivers worth covering on the Chiefs, but Kelce is pretty good out of the tight end spot and we've seen that work here before.

I'd probably be cautiously optimistic about signing him if my team had a good decent existing deep threat and his job was to get open on intermediate stuff, hopefully with some room to run. That was always where he was at his best.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Chiefs offense was 16th in scoring, exactly average. They did do stuff with passing, its just that Alex can't throw great outside the hashes because it requires more strength

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Bowe always struggled with separation, but as the years and injuries have piled up, it's just gotten worse. He manages but he's not a guy who will explode on another team. His hands are too inconstant.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Parmesan Basil posted:

Cut:
Harris
Stephenson
Allen
Jenkins
Mays
Fasano
Maybe Devito I dunno I kinda like Howard and Bailey as the ends
Owens
Fleming

Keep:
Mauga
Hudson
Daniel
Definitely Hali
Probably Coleman to help cover up the hole we suddenly have at safety
GIVE ALL OUR MONEY TO HOUSTON IMMEDIATELY

Draft: CB, LG, RT maybe, WR in the late rounds

What about Eric Fisher? I don't know if I hate him with all my guts or like him.

Shoulda kept the other guy.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Bowe always struggled with separation, but as the years and injuries have piled up, it's just gotten worse. He manages but he's not a guy who will explode on another team. His hands are too inconstant.

Inconsistent because he gets thrown to like 2 times a game?

Prorat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 30, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Texans went 9-7 with a menagerie of poo poo at QB. This is good

They go from a 4th place schedule (Bills and Raiders) to a 2nd place schedule (Bengals and Chiefs) which is a pretty lateral move considering they played the Bengals this year anyway. Go from playing AFCN and NFCN to AFCE and NFSC. So the schedule looks a little easier. A lot depends on a) how much the division/Bortles improves and b)if they can get anything out of their upcoming draft/Clowney/the rest of the 2014 non-contributors

I think there's a real chance at being a 10+ win team, maybe better depending on how the QB situation ends up

Andre Johnson and Jonathan Joseph probably get cut if they don't restructure, I have no doubt Kareem Jackson is back either way

There aren't any other really significant free agents

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
texans are a cool team and i hope they figure out their qb situation and sign back a cheap old aj80 on a discount and get great because they're fun as poo poo to watch on defense and only a mediocre qb away from being rad

hawks exceeded expectations and locked down every major player minus russ (which will happen) and i hope we either grab diamonds out of the draft at OL/WR or through some limited FA signings to keep our window open a few more years but there is no way i can say i'm anything but ecstatic about the team's direction and how well our front office is running things. it's amazing being able to say that after so many decades of ineptitude at everything seattle as a city does (eg. bertha, mariners, sonics, getting an nhl team, loving rent and parking)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The Texans did not suck this year. At 9-7 they were near-precisely mediocre.

This is a vast improvement.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

briang posted:

the rams have not had a winning season since 2003.

Ways to improve the team:
cut jared cook, jake long, joe barksdale, scott wells immediately
actually discipline players for committing drive-killing penalties and/or giving up big plays
cut Shaun hill

That's a start.

I hope you mean Davin Joseph and not Joe Barksdale. Joe's actually been fine. The Rams just need a RG and a Center and the line should be good.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Titans are awful. Blowing the team up and starting all over is the only answer. I can't think of a single positive thing from this season.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Another Dolphins 8-8 season but I'm confident that streak is going to end next year. I'm confident because there is no way the coming poo poo show of a lame duck coach who can't control his team isn't going to poo poo the bed and land in the basement. On the bright side that might give the eventual new coach and general manager a high draft pick to work with.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
All in all, like the progress from the Vikings this year. Injuries to the line + ineffectiveness on the left side didnt help but Teddy really made the best of it.

Would like to see OL and a WR in the draft because Kalil has gone off the deep end, Johnson is still loving awful and Jennings is getting old and expensive, and who knows if Patterson can learn to run a route. Patterson has so much raw potential bit the knocks on him in the draft are coming true.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

I am the opposite. I thought it was a fun year and losing Foles right the O line got healthy was rough. But it was a fun year and they played to their talent level I think.

I am excited for the offseason to see how they patch up holes.

This is a good point. It's really hard to get mad at the team for going 10-6 just like last year when the schedule was way more punishing. The reason this year didn't result in the playoffs was the rest of the NFC just being a bit better. Even if we win the Skins game we're still on the outside looking in because all our losses were in the NFC. It's a tough break but you can't do much about it. Plus we had the most turnovers in the league and still broke the franchise record for points scored. Imagine what we'd do if we weren't turning the ball over 4 times a game.

Next year's schedule looks like it's about as hard as this year's or maybe a bit easier so we'll see what happens. I think with the right pieces on defense and a healthy Foles we can go 13-3 or better.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Eh Kelce is the best target on the team by far.

It is kind of crazy that this happened with an Andy Reid coached team though.

Andy always has loved his tight ends. I only watched half of one Chiefs game this year so I can't tell but it seems like he isn't running the sort of crazy passing offense he did in Philly. It's a lot more TE passes and screens and what not like Andy circa 2003.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

axeil posted:

Andy always has loved his tight ends. I only watched half of one Chiefs game this year so I can't tell but it seems like he isn't running the sort of crazy passing offense he did in Philly. It's a lot more TE passes and screens and what not like Andy circa 2003.

Oh I know and he isn't at all. It's just funny that people were worried he'd just bring that over to the Chiefs, and instead he's completely adapted the offense to the personnel, because oh what a shocker, Reid is a good coach.

• Locked thread