Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
SA Rockstar: The legendary Musician's Lounge competition that succumbed to the pressures of fame, drug abuse, changes to GBS, and sex addiction, and sank into obscurity forever.

But now it's back! Just in time for a new year; when all of that bullshit that happened last year is instantly forgiven and forgotten, and everyone gets a second chance.

Theme: Your New Year's Resolution for 2015
Choose a song that reflects what someone might decide to drunkenly tell their friends they're going to do as soon as they recover from their hangover and finish eating all the candy in the house.

For example:

Manky posted:

Nat King Cole, "Straighten Up and Fly Right"
Jonathan Richman, "I Was Dancing in a Lesbian Bar"
ZZ Top, "Sharp Dressed Man"

Deadline: Saturday, February 14th, 2015 (Valentine's Day)
That's next year, you have plenty of time! This probably encourages a romantic theme, but that's by no means a requirement.

Rockstar FAQ:

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Do it! Have fun! Make music! Let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
And to start us off, I spent yesterday and today recording this:

Shake It Off - Taylor Swift

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sounds like someone got a can of whupass for Christmas. Great OP and stellar entry there.

What do we think about keeping the voting thread in either NMD or ML this time? GBS is, I don't know, still kinda bad.

And if we don't have enough submissions in the end for a voting thread, the next one needs to be a Toxxstar.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Awesome, I'm glad to have Rockstar back! I hope all the entries are as strong as this first one. And that there are more entries. I'm stuck in a snowstorm away from my equipment, but I'll be back to it tomorrow.

I've got Go With the Flow - Queens of the Stone Age

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Manky posted:

What do we think about keeping the voting thread in either NMD or ML this time? GBS is, I don't know, still kinda bad.

Haven't really looked at GBS much for a long time, but if everyone thinks its still going to be a lost cause to post it there, sticking to NMD/ML works. We didn't ever even post anything in NMD before, did we? Just kinda gave up on the whole thing?

e:

CaptainViolence posted:

I've got Go With the Flow - Queens of the Stone Age
Hell yes.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 29, 2014

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
Taking the title literally, I'm tentatively calling "I wanna gently caress you" by Akon.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 29, 2014

onionmaster
Oct 11, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That is fantastic.

I'm gonna do RV by Faith No More , in the style of pre-Eliminator ZZ Top in their slower mode.

The narrator is already either very drunk or hung over, and the guests he has aren't listening to him, but would go and find his kids if he wasn't so drunk. I think it lends itself well to desert blues. Already, have worked out an arrangement. Just need to do it to a click and with proper vocals, then probably will add bass and drums. Since I reckon a lot of people would be going for party songs this ought to form a nice contrast.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Haven't really looked at GBS much for a long time, but if everyone thinks its still going to be a lost cause to post it there, sticking to NMD/ML works. We didn't ever even post anything in NMD before, did we? Just kinda gave up on the whole thing?

I think something did get posted in NMD, but it got less views and votes than the GBS thread got. Now, I suppose, it doesn't matter.

And if I decide to get off my rear end and do something for this, it's likely to be "Hakuna Matata", since that's my actual new year's resolution.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am kind of looking at doing this again, except the last time I did, I got literally zero votes that didn't come from my goonbandmates.

On the upside, I just looked up the song I'm considering and I actually have to learn a different chord fingering in order to get the right sound. I have to work at this? But... :effort:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Do it! Still plenty of time left. Votes are less important than doing it and having fun with it. Plus, if we don't get many entries this time, I doubt anyone will want to try running this thing again... :(

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yeah, the more entries the better. I'm mostly recorded, just need my friend to lay down part of a vocal track and then add some accordion. I definitely hope there are more than four or five entries.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Oh poo poo. Can't wait to hear this.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
I'll give the Replacements' "I Will Dare" a try -- seems like good preparation for February Album Writing Month (are any of you guys doing that as well, BTW?).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

treasureplane posted:

I'll give the Replacements' "I Will Dare" a try -- seems like good preparation for February Album Writing Month (are any of you guys doing that as well, BTW?).

that was what I was going for. cocks. Well, I can't guarantee I'll finish anything, so you take it. I'll find something else.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

treasureplane posted:

February Album Writing Month (are any of you guys doing that as well, BTW?).
I want to at least give it a shot. Tried it a few years ago and didn't finish, but it was a good exercise.

I was thinking of The RPM Challenge, though. What the hell is the difference?

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 15, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Goddamit, this was what I wanted to do before I even saw your 2nd post. For the best I guess, your version is drat good.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:neckbeard: Yay! :dance:

I am not a musician, nor do I pretend to be, but I do love music and I've always loved SA Rockstar. Y'all do amazing work and I've gotten some VERY good tunes from past contests. I was very unhappy that GBS 2.0 ruined everyone's fun, so I'm super-glad to see you guys giving it another try. I really hope this takes off again.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
What's up folks? Not much time left now, so let me know if you would prefer a bit of a deadline extension. Or you know, if it's just not happening.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Out. New job, super-busy, feel like eight asses. Sorry.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Still in. Got a couple more tracks to record, but we haven't hit the deadline, have we? I thought it was Valentine's Day.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Still plugging away on my track. Definitely will get it finished.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Sweet. Yeah deadline is still Valentine's Day.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I hate to be that guy but what is the policy on duplicate entries? If it's cool I'll submit my Shake It Off rendition.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Go for it. I think it would be hilarious for everyone to do the same song sometime.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

That would be a pretty awesome Rockstar, that should definitely be the theme at some point. It'd be tough picking the song, though.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

poo poo!!!!! I may be able to get something in under the deadline. I have a dental appointment tomorrow that I took off work for, so I'll see what I can bang together in eight hours.

e: Would U2's Beautiful Day be acceptable?

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 10, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Well, it isn't gonna get any better so I might as well just post it.

Here is my rock version of Shake it Off.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 11, 2015

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I guess this is it.
Beautiful Day

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So we're leaving tomorrow open as the last day to submit, right? Because I really want to finish a song for a damned change, and I do indeed have nothing else going on that day.

edit: Alternative Pants and Cmdr Shepard, both great entries.

CaptainViolence posted:

Yeah, the more entries the better. I'm mostly recorded, just need my friend to lay down part of a vocal track and then add some accordion. I definitely hope there are more than four or five entries.

I can't want to hear this either, I've been trying to get some of that 'dion down. (I started working on Play the Game last weekend.)

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 13, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I didn't get laid or finish my track! I'm going to bed. I'm like...1/3 to 1/2 done. I'm going to try to finish tomorrow, I had a lot of fun starting from scratch today. Here's what I've got so far, sans laughably bad vocals.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Here we go. Ended up not getting a trumpet laid down, but I got my girlfriend to do some vocals instead of my friend, and I'm pleased with it, even if it's hells of long.

https://soundcloud.com/captainviolence/go-with-the-flow

PS you guys should make your entries downloadable, my mp3 player is suffering from a severe lack of U2 and T-Swift covers (and the other one when it's done)

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 15, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got 15 minutes left by my clock! I got my first hardware synth (an MS-20 mini) two weeks ago and here's my first lovely cover:

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/the-model-demo

MS-20 used for everything except the choir and vox.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I will upload in just a minute! I have a last second entry! (I don't know if it's allowed given it's 15th here?)

Edit: Uploaded anyway. It's lousy but it's together. My bassist wasn't available so I used an octave down pedal. My would-be singer decided to disappear when I went to record too. So it's me "singing" and trying to bury it while still technically having it there.

There's no real EQing, mixing or mastering. It was a hodgepodge I started about three hours ago and I just wanted to submit something.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 15, 2015

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Okay here's my entry. Daft Punk's Harder Better Faster Stronger

Anybody need an extension?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hawklad posted:

Okay here's my entry. Daft Punk's Harder Better Faster Stronger

Holy crap. I know what I'm voting for! I'd love to redo vocals for mine but I'm okay with what I submitted. No need for an extension for that.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hawklad posted:

I'm going to see what I can get done in the next...four hours. Then I have to evacuate to a friend's place because I lost water yesterday and I am dying for a proper poop and shower.

Edit: I'm out. :downsrim: :nexus:

Manky fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 16, 2015

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Where do you guys think we should do the voting thread? NMD or GBS?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I haven't browsed GBS in a while, has it calmed down from when it got all crazy? GBS is how I found Rockstar and ML in general, so exposure is always good, but if it's still super crazy there I'm not opposed to just a NMD thread.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Ask us about being Rockstars
Tell us your favorite song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Ask us about being Rockstars
Tell us your favorite song.

There's an idea.

• Locked thread