Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Metapod posted:

LeBeau is likely only going to be involved with personnel decisions while Horton will control everything else.
No...

Rotoworld posted:

Dick LeBeau - DL - Titans
Titans hired Dick LeBeau as assistant head coach/defense.
LeBeau will run the Titans' defense despite not having the title of defensive coordinator. DC Ray Horton will stay on staff, but is being demoted after opposing offenses ran through his unit for an average of 137-plus yards per game on the ground. The Titans also gave up the ninth-most passing touchdowns in 2014. LeBeau was the Steelers' defensive boss the previous 11 seasons, and Horton worked under him in Pittsburgh from 2004-2010. LeBeau's Steelers units were unimpressive the past couple years, but they were awfully old groups. There isn't much to build around in Tennessee aside from DL Jurrell Casey.
Horton's star is pretty much done rising it appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

swickles posted:

Its so strange to see Lebeau do anything but retire or take some cushy "replay coordinator" type gig or even a TV job (no clue how that would work given his age though, most networks want youthful looking guys).

Not surprising at all. That dude loves coaching football.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sataere posted:

Not surprising at all. That dude loves coaching football.

I wonder if Lebeau considers the Titans to be his Gordian knot. Like, if he can solve that mess he can solve anything.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chichevache posted:

I wonder if Lebeau considers the Titans to be his Gordian knot. Like, if he can solve that mess he can solve anything.

Little does he realize it is actually Schrodinger's cat

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Does it really count as Schrodinger's when you know the cat is dead, and what's more, beginning to smell?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sataere posted:

Little does he realize it is actually Schrodinger's cat

Pretty sure they're actually a sample of nihil informis.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

football fuckerman posted:

No...

Horton's star is pretty much done rising it appears

this is going to end really poorly if true

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Probably Magic posted:

Does it really count as Schrodinger's when you know the cat is dead, and what's more, beginning to smell?

I just meant they were alive, but dead inside.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Ken Norton, Jr. the seahawks LB coach and abuser of goal posts, is now the Raiders defensive coordinator.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

warcrimes posted:

Ken Norton, Jr. the seahawks LB coach and abuser of goal posts, is now the Raiders defensive coordinator.

Best of luck to him. Hope he can turn Mack into what we hoped Irvin would be.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
marty morhinwig got hired as the ravens qb coach last week. I cant remember if i recognize his name because he's good or because he's awful.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The coaching staff of the raiders gives me no hope for the future.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

marty morhinwig got hired as the ravens qb coach last week. I cant remember if i recognize his name because he's good or because he's awful.

Marty Mornhinweg won the coin toss in OT and elected to kick instead of receive back when OT was sudden death from the start.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Isn't he the guy who screamed at his team then got on his Harley and rode off like a western hero during practice to make a point

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You remember him because he's awful. He was OC for the Eagles before, failed at that, went to OC for the Jets I think, sucked at that too, so now he's demoted and only kept around because he's worked with people who aren't total poo poo. If memory serves he did other things in the past too that led everyone to think he was alright, but he actually wasn't. Flacco is lucky the dude won't be calling plays.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

he was the QB coach/Offensive coordinator for the Packers and 49ers from '96 to 2000 then he became a bad playcaller/bad head coach in the 2000s

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

He is being hired so Harbaugh has a sniff of what he lost in CamCam

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

True and Real posted:

He is being hired so Harbaugh has a sniff of what he lost in CamCam

cam and morninhweg ran entirely different offenses. harbaugh's hiring him because he knows him from when they were both on the eagles

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

cam and morninhweg ran entirely different offenses. harbaugh's hiring him because he knows him from when they were both on the eagles

It was a joke about awful coordinators dude

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

True and Real posted:

It was a joke about awful coordinators dude

why do you have a posting medal

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Lowtax gave me the medal of honor for my distinguished service in the posting wars of 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Best of luck to him. Hope he can turn Mack into what we hoped Irvin would be.

Mack already is what you hoped Irvin would be. I'm hoping he can turn Mack into the best defensive player in the NFL.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Most Jokes Explained 2014

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

football fuckerman posted:

Most Jokes Explained 2014

Current record to beat: 2

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Lamadrid posted:

The coaching staff of the raiders gives me no hope for the future.

I'm down with JDR and Musgrave is a good coach to develop Carr, but I get that it's really edgy to hate every coach, ever.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not excited about JDR, but we could do worse. Definitely the most experienced coach we've had in god knows how long.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I'm not excited about JDR, but we could do worse. Definitely the most experienced coach we've had in god knows how long.

Yeah, I mean, I get Davis wanting to avoid the "hot new assistant" as that hasn't really worked out for us lately. I'd have preferred Trestman(e: as OC), as I think the development of Carr should be the #1 short term goal. This team isn't going to the playoffs overnight no matter who's coaching so let's get guys in that can develop our young talent and oversee a transition from 'lovely' to 'mediocre'. JDR has successfully done that before and Musgrave and Norton are good choices to tutor the young guys. JDR is going to be the DC, so I'm not hung up on anyone's job titles.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

Art Shell wasn't that long ago!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SA2K posted:

Art Shell wasn't that long ago!

Wow I'd forgotten he was out of football for 6 years before Oakland hired him the second time around. I figured he was off somewhere coaching OL.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Lions hire Joe Marciano to replace special teams coordinator John Bonamego, who got poached by CMU. Texans/Vikings fans, how was Marciano?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Grittybeard posted:

Wow I'd forgotten he was out of football for 6 years before Oakland hired him the second time around. I figured he was off somewhere coaching OL.

1979 United States International University - HC
1980 Murray State University - OC/QB
1981 University of Cincinnati - OC/QB
1982-1991 Oakland Raiders - QB/WR
1992-1994 Oakland Raiders - OC
1997-1998 Idaho State University - HC
1999 Mobile Admirals - HC/OC/QB
2006 Oakland Raiders - OC

That was the resume of Tom "Bed and Breakfast" Walsh.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

Mack already is what you hoped Irvin would be. I'm hoping he can turn Mack into the best defensive player in the NFL.

How many sacks did Mack get last year?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Lions hire Joe Marciano to replace special teams coordinator John Bonamego, who got poached by CMU. Texans/Vikings fans, how was Marciano?

Towards the end of his tenure Houston's special teams were consistently some of the worst in the league, including dead last in 2012, if you believe FO's numbers. He is not remembered fondly by Texans fans; I'm sorry.

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Cheer every time you start past the 20 on kickoffs.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Bill Musgrave is awful. Good luck.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parlett316 posted:

Isn't he the guy who screamed at his team then got on his Harley and rode off like a western hero during practice to make a point

Yes. He also lost the Jets a game last year by calling a timeout that he actually didn't have the power to call.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

warcrimes posted:

I'm down with JDR and Musgrave is a good coach to develop Carr, but I get that it's really edgy to hate every coach, ever.

Not trying to be edgy at all.JDR and Musgrave are uninspiring to say the least.What can I say I loved Hue, was amused by Cable, and really liked Allen.But JDR just says nothing to me.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

warcrimes posted:

How can anyone be excited by Musgrave

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Lamadrid posted:

Not trying to be edgy at all.JDR and Musgrave are uninspiring to say the least.What can I say I loved Hue, was amused by Cable, and really liked Allen.But JDR just says nothing to me.

How the hell did you really like Allen? Did you watch the games he 'coached' this year? In any event, I'd rate JDR as a solid choice, not anything to do cartwheels over. "no hope for the future" is a pretty silly, though.

SA2K posted:

How can anyone be excited by Musgrave

Excited? Never said that. I'd have been excited if we'd gotten Trestman as OC, his work with QBs(as an OC/QB coach) is pretty drat impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

JDR was probably the best choice for a rebuilding team out of all the HCs available on the market. It's even better that he actually wants to be in Oakland, too. I mean, hell, look at what he did with the Jags. Five .500+ seasons and 4 under .500 while the defense was mostly mediocre to great during his tenure. That's not bad considering the situation. I can see him doing very well in Oakland as long as he has proper support from Davis and the GM. Carr, Mack and L Murray* are a strong foundation to build around. Anything is possible! Dream big!

*if he hasn't been assigned his mandatory Raiders RB injury

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 8, 2015

• Locked thread