Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Vindictus is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i played this Korean MMO called Priston Tale often at an internet cafe and I really liked it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Good costumes

Good shoulders

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Yea tbh I don't mind the cosmetic cash shops. Cuz poo poo like that I'd always optional. How a game like Tera does it tho, it turns into garbage.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i know a guy who still plays maplestory on private servers

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If Dragon's Dogma Online ever gets a western release I'm probably going to give that a spin even though it already sounds terrible

I wanna roleplay as a pawn in voicechat with pubbies

Hopefully all the quick chat macros are just Pawn sayings so ctrl+f1 makes me dude say "What a large tree."

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

i know a guy who still plays maplestory on private servers

maple story owns, brother

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
If an mmo isn't made in America it's bad

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the last American mmo was Defiance which sucked and before that was Rift which also sucked well cya

oh ... and Firefall, but it's awful garbage!!!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if an mmo is made it's bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF14 is the exception to the "all MMOs are bad" rule because FF14 is actually cool and good and fun

well I never tried Guild Wars 2, I hear it's OK as well

WoW is the most boring goddamn thing, its success baffles me even more than the success of MOBAs

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

FF14 is the exception to the "all MMOs are bad" rule because FF14 is actually cool and good and fun

WoW is the most boring goddamn thing, its success baffles me even more than the success of MOBAs

Spoken like someone who wasn't playing MMOs before WoW came out. WoW was the first MMO that didn't slam your dick in a car door

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zenintrude posted:

Pretty much confirmed at this point:

https://twitter.com/Sliwinski/status/560156310625587200

Anyone in the market for people with no marketable skills?

What a shame, joystiq was pretty good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Spoken like someone who wasn't playing MMOs before WoW came out. WoW was the first MMO that didn't slam your dick in a car door

was everquest really that bad?

I used to play the Discworld MUD. that was actually pretty cool.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Almost literally every aspect of Everquest(and generally speaking its contemporaries) was significantly more painful than WoW. In EQ, it's possible to create a character, walk into the town you start the game at, and immediately be killed by NPCs who are automatically hostile to you. You will also discover that there are almost no quests in the entire game. You can't see enemy levels without typing in a /con command for each individual enemy, and there are super high level enemies that are not distinguished from the others all over the place. There's also no map. That's the first 5 minutes, and it gets worse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Almost literally every aspect of Everquest(and generally speaking its contemporaries) was significantly more painful than WoW. In EQ, it's possible to create a character, walk into the town you start the game at, and immediately be killed by NPCs who are automatically hostile to you. You will also discover that there are almost no quests in the entire game. You can't see enemy levels without typing in a /con command for each individual enemy, and there are super high level enemies that are not distinguished from the others all over the place. There's also no map. That's the first 5 minutes, and it gets worse.

This was way back in the day tho and doesn't really exist anymore. High level enemies are still present but a lot more obvious.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry I should have edited out the present tense language, that's all pre-WoW.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Wow also does lots of things right. For example, combat is super snappy - most warrior abilities go off instantly, for example, and the game has very precise movement. Even MMOs that came significantly after failed to have that same feeling of snap.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wow also managed to somehow make Warcraft lore dumber and chose loving toontown art direction. No matter the gameplay, if your game looks, sounds, and reads retarded, you made a poo poo game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Wow also managed to somehow make Warcraft lore dumber and chose loving toontown art direction. No matter the gameplay, if your game looks, sounds, and reads retarded, you made a poo poo game.

Warcraft was always toontown art direction, though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chumbler posted:

Warcraft was always toontown art direction, though.

What? Look at the box covers and you'll see that's not true. Sure it wasn't quite as serious as Diablo or Starcraft, but it wasn't anywhere near the level of WoW's cartoon colors and downs syndrome tauren.

Like, I was 11 when WoW came out and I thought it looked dumb and childish. WC3 was at least 13/yo cool

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
actually if you don't like the WoW art style, it's you that's the retard

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
nasgate made teh original "diablo 3 would look better if it was grimdark as gently caress" photoshop on reddit... in my headcannon

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Sometimes I like to imagine that there's a world where Remedy didn't become obsessed with imitating television poorly at the expense of their actual games, or at least learned their lesson after Alan Wake.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

nasgate made teh original "diablo 3 would look better if it was grimdark as gently caress" photoshop on reddit... in my headcannon

I don't play bad games, so why would i care about D3?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hm sounds like we got a huge flamer over here, boys. lets wrangle him and drive him around the town

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

FF14 is good because it's an above-average clone of WoW circa 2008 with a buttload of content, but it's still just a bit inferior to WoW in almost every respect except graphics and music. The only real reason to play it is because you've played WoW for years and are burned out on that world but still want to play a similar game for some reason.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Although if the FFXIV expansion lowers the ridiculously long GCD, prunes abilities a bit so you don't have to have gigantic toolbars full of multiple versions of each spell, and makes it so I don't have to slog through dozens of terrible story missions just to get to the gilgamesh and ultros fights then I will definitely buy it

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
FFXIV has WoW beat on keeping old & levelling content relevant with it's dungeon roulette that gives you good poo poo for running low-level dungeons, and the way they level characters down to match those dungeons works very well too. It's something I wish WoW could do so you could experience old dungeons & raids with a group at level.

Although, with as lovely as everybody behaves in WoW pugs maybe not.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I just wish they didn't make it so your higher level abilities don't work when you're scaled down, because keeping separate bars for different level dungeons is really annoying. The dungeons are also more interesting and challenging than modern WoW, but the horrible GCD holds them back from being as good as they could. But yeah, the way FF14 handles low level content is pretty great. It might get annoying down the road if they're 3 or more expansions in and still expect people to run the 2.0 dungeons, but for now it's a cool feature.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adam Bowen posted:

I just wish they didn't make it so your higher level abilities don't work when you're scaled down, because keeping separate bars for different level dungeons is really annoying.

Yeah that is irritating. I imagine it would probably be a nightmare to try to balance all those extra abilities in lower-level stuff but it sure is jarring to be suddenly missing your opener or execute or whatever it took away.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBE1sGbOUco

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nasgate posted:

I loved the WoW look when it came out because it pretty much looked like WC3. The idea that I could jump in and basically be one of my dudes on the ground from that game was loving amazing.

I've liked a few MMOs since WoW came out and the game has a lot of flaws(that's part of what you sign up for when you play an MMO) but I think it's probably still #1 for MMOs in my book. Having 10 years of content behind it is a big advantage.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Video Games are pretty dang cool. thank you world for the creation of video games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Final Fantasy 13 is cool and good. What's everyone's favorite character? Mine is Hope. He goes from a whiny dumb baby to being legit rad. Lightning on the other hand doesn't change at all through the whole game. :\

Vanille and Sazh also are very awesome

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
sazh is the greatest character in 13 trilogy imho

also hope goes from dumb baby to cool researcher back to soulless dumb baby in lightning returns because toriyama has literally no idea what he is doing

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

sorry I must've missed the part where hope went from insufferable angsty teenager to something else?

EDIT: in the first FF13 I never bothered playing the rest

Ekster fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 28, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Ekster posted:

sorry I must've missed the part where hope went from insufferable angsty teenager to something else?

it is in an entirely different game where he becomes a time cop researcher

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

sorry but you're thinking of Runescape which was the first and also continues to be the best MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

lol WoW sent out statues to people who had been playing for over ten years and they instantly appeared on eBay

• Locked thread