Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Steam have been very quick and efficient when I needed to use their support. Meanwhile, Xbox Live took something like five months to fix me up properly at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Origin is still a thing?
Their client is decent and they give away free games regularly (currently it's SIM CITY 2000!!!) but outside of the few games that need it, it's pretty ignorable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
2014: what i liked
Wolfenstein, as mentioned earlier
Finally got into Payday 2, had a lot of fun
Shadowrun Dragonfall was great

2015: looking forward to:
Shadowrun Hong Kong, hells yes
Clearing through the ol' backlog a bit more
More info on Doom 4
Pleasant surprises

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chard posted:

What's the best gamepad for wireless couch-based :pcgaming:? I picked up an Xbone controller earlier because I stupidly assumed it would work out of the box after reading this and I'm going to return it after work, so I'll have a chance to get a new one. I have a wired 360 controller already and I know adapters exist but then the wires are still all over. Basically I want zero wires except while charging, is that possible?
I've been using one of these for the last few years:

It's decent, and like half the price of a DS4, but I can't honestly recommend it unless you're cost-cutting because it's an utter bitch to install on Windows 8, will never get driver updates to fix this, and uses generic batteries instead of recharging (although it takes forever for it to go through a pair of AAs). I might do an upgrade to DS4 soon, even though I don't really need it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jordbo posted:

Regarding controllers, the 360 controller is pretty cool since all games for PC are developed with that one in mind, it's got an official wireless receiver and is literally plug-and-play with no problems. I'm all for simplicity and not having to install drivers and configure settings to play my stupid games

d-pad's pretty bad, though
I used to use the 360 controller, but the L-bumper on my wired one broke and the wireless receivers are both hard to find nowadays and hilariously fragile.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's incredibly disappointing that survival games with zombies get released by the dozens each year, whereas survival games with dinosaurs have gotten left in the dust since Trespasser.
Oh, tons of dinosaur games enter development, it's just the developers always get into an argument over whether the dinosaurs should have feathers or not, and that typically ends in blood.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Is Bowser racist?
Well, that's not exactly a theory, now is it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

In case anyone missed it, games workshop is letting the total war guys make total war fantasy warhammer

they leaked it in a magazine
They actually leaked it in some art book that's not supposed to be out quite yet but someone got an early copy. But details...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm looking forward to Playstation Now (and every other game streaming service ever) never being available in my hemisphere of the planet because datacenters are expensive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's also computerized testing of games, so places will employ engineers to create tools that can execute certain kinds of tests.
Yeah, developers typically set up "smoke tests", or ways to make the game play itself to some extent for hours on end in the wee hours while everybody's gone home. That way, when people come back into work, they have a pile of crash logs and recordings so they can see how these tests crashed the game.

These have gotten more refined and polished over time - Halo 2's smoke tests essentially just created or joined matchmaking games then mashed all the buttons while in-game so the player would run around in circles firing and throwing grenades, while Bayonetta 2 has a detailed scripting system that plots out a path for an AI to take through all the levels, allowing a spare PC or devkit to beat the game over and over and over again to try and find bugs through pure attrition.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is there a cat petting simulator
There is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

You all have any game music from your formative gaming years that instantly takes you back? The original EverQuest opening music and the forest music in Super Mario RPG do it for me, if I hear those I am instantly transported back in my mind.
Anything using the Adlib card or the old tracker music that a lot of Epic games used for a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8q3uF66Js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVnKYcYi3g

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mario Kart 8 is a good game that would have been great if it had, like, twice the amount of tracks. Me and my friends gathered for a brews/pizza/MK8 night when the game first game out and ran out of tracks we hadn't already played surprisngly quickly.

Probably not a realistic ask considering the amount of attention put into each track, but the internet isn't for realistic expectations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stux posted:

wasn't SF4 like the best selling street fighter over all
To get SF4 greenlit, Ono had to do all sorts of weird beating-around-the-bush things like pitching it as "Street Fighter 20th Anniversary Edition" to get the execs to agree to have it made.

To get SF5 greenlit, seven years and three expansions later, he just asked.

They're certainly not doing COD numbers, but between expansions, costume DLC and their cut of every credit bought on Japanese arcade cabinets, they're definitely making their money back.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Davincie posted:

uhh just ask? didn't he have to get funding from sony because capcom didn't want to make a new one
I'm going off this brief interview with Ono (Polygon warning) that says he put together his pitch near the end of Dead Rising 3 development and faced little resistance to the idea. Maybe some revisionist history's in play for publicity's sake, but even if SF4 sold a squillion copies I doubt Capcom would have passed up Sony's money.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Since the thread is currently locked and twitter, google, etc. are no help has anyone heard anything about an actual release date for Hotline Miami 2? We're well into Q1 and this was at the max end of the release window since the last delay.
"Very soon" is about as specific as they've gotten.

Bicyclops posted:

there were also some complaints that there wasn't enough effort put into the port.
Menus are keyboard-only and the cutscenes are pre-rendered FMVs from whatever resolution the PS3 version used, but everything else is fantastic. The guy who made that Dark Souls fixer patch thing wrote an analysis of it if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ekster posted:

so he thought nothing of his room tilting nearly 90 degrees.
loving Gamebryo and Havok bugging out again :rolleyes:

• Locked thread