Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I didn't get to delete my first post in the old thread yet. :smith:

Waffleman_ posted:

Was Deadman Wonderland good? Thinking about whether to stay up for it or just go to bed after Gurren Lagann.

Deadman Wonderland owns and you should def stay up to watch that poo poo. I don't know what Oh Snapple!'s problem with it is, but I remember him complaining a lot about DW and praising the poo poo out of Casshern Sins (which was alright but BORING AS gently caress) when those shows first aired, so he may not have the most unbiased opinion on the matter now.

EDIT: ... No offense, Oh Snapple!.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh Snapple! posted:

Casshern is probably the best non-Dandy thing Toonami has shown since its return and I wish they were airing it again instead of DW because it's a much better show in basically every respect. If your mark against it was "IT WAS BORING AS gently caress" then I'm inclined to think you're an ADD-riddled manchild. It's a slow show but it makes every second worthwhile in its ultimate payoffs. Also had really great fight choreography and baller aesthetics in its animation, and in general was a pretty honest show in its surprisingly positive themes despite the rather melancholic atmosphere. Compare to something like DW which is honestly just rather exploitative in its use of violence. 'course you could probably bring up Hellsing in that, but Hellsing also had a certain pervading charm about it and its characters and knew when to be serious and when to just goof the gently caress off.

Casshern also featured an amazing piece of headgear at the end.

Why yes, as a matter of fact I DO have ADHD! Thank you for asking. :v:

Kidding aside, that was one of my bigger marks against Casshern Sins, but it wasn't my only major one. The overall "duplicity of life and death" and "death makes life exciting" themes just... didn't click with me at all. I got the messages they were trying to send by episode 2, and then spent the rest of the series praying they were going to take a different angle on those, as they're pretty tired, uninteresting, and un-useful themes to me.

I dunno, I have mixed feelings about Casshern Sins. The animation and aesthetics were indeed beautiful, as were the fight scenes and overall fight choreography, and being a huge Mega Man fanboy, I have to at least respect anything with Casshern, since it was such a major influence on so many parts of the Mega Man franchise. But beyond that...... I just don't really feel it. It's got tons of good stuff going for it, but beyond that superficial level, I personally just don't feel like buying the poo poo Casshern Sins is trying to sell me. And I have trouble understanding why anyone else would buy it, either. Sorry, man. :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bob Marley has a...... complicated family.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

bango skank posted:

Excited for Deadman Wonderland again(They've got it on Netflix but Toonami is pretty much the only way I consume anime.) It'd be cool to get something like Durarara back again too, maybe do another run of Death Note?

I'd kill for Death Note to come back.

Right now though, I'm happy about Deadman Wonderland coming back now that Adult Swim can say "poo poo" uncensored.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Why does "Mister Popo" look like Al Jolson?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

"Note To Self: Do not go to Hell."

Yes Goku that would probably be a good idea.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kwyndig posted:

Note to self, do not go to Hell.

Also did Toriyama ever explain why Dragonball Earth had dinosaurs and talking animals?

Maybe it takes place in the Flintstones universe? :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I, too, dream of one day living on my own private island, in a house labeled "Turtle House".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GOHAN IS A WOLFMAN :stonk:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

no not the moon

that's where the mooninites live :ohdear:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh yeah, in case you forgot, the Hidden Mist Village is extra SUPER DUPER hosed up.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

... And that special bond is, Naruto and Sasuke are in gay love with each other. :allears:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crabtree posted:

Is leveling up his sword some sort of euphemism?

inuyasha bout to be impotent.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hey, even Byakuya showed up to the party. :)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Didn't somebody say tonight's episode ends with another one of those extra bits at the end?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Reindeers/Caribous can't be pirates.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Who's the blue-haired lady? She looks interesting.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh boy......... pink snow. :geno:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh poo poo SCARFACE LUFFY

EDIT: Err.... racist Godfather Luffy, I guess.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

... okay, that ended strangely.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thanks to Dish's blackout, I am still completely in the dark about Robin's whole backstory.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well this is boring.

EDIT: IT JUST GOT BETTER

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

roh roh fight da powa

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You know as well as I do that this doesn't necessarily matter to these people.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AND THEN THEY ALL DIED.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

By the way, the attorney is a major bad guy in the first half of this.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

By the way, the attorney is a major bad guy in the first half of this.

His (hilariously goony) backstory: He was a big fat smelly otaku neckbeard with no friends who lost all his toys and video games in the major Tokyo earthquake disaster known as "The Red Hole" 10 years prior to the start of the series, and this horribly traumatized/warped him into being a sadistic prison warden who now treats Deadman Wonderland like his own personal toy/game.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It always struck me how the Deadman Wonderland logo looks like the Pisces symbol.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Everybody meet Shiro! :kimchi:

Shiro is adorable! :kimchi:

Shiro is also secretly the Red Man. Also known as "the Wretched Egg".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Argus Zant posted:

okay, maybe perhaps i should consolidate

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #1 (for realsies this time)
We never find out why Ganta was framed for the murder of his entire class, why he was given Deadman powers by the Crimson King, or why Slimy Bastard orchestrated all this poo poo

Because he wants to break into the "Mother Goose" computer system, which would cause a second Red Hole earthquake disaster in Tokyo, and Ganta's particular Super Blood Power just so happens to be the key to unlock it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You forgot about SHINY SHINY!

:catstare: You ALL forgot about SHINY SHINY!

(seriously though, please don't tell me they cut SHINY SHINY!)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 4, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Argus Zant posted:

i most certainly did not forget

i doubt anybody forgot

i also did not forget that the first episode had neither an OP or an ED

poo poo son, i think the music was one of the most memorable aspects of Deadman Wonderland

Okay good, because I remember the first episode not having an OP, but I could've sworn it at least had SHINY SHINY! playing at the end.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh poo poo.

This is the Bleach episode where Tosen can see for the first time in his life and calls Komamura ugly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oxxidation posted:

If you're actually counting what happened in the manga, then this was the actual reason for everything. Major manga spoilers follow:

:words:

I left out some stuff, but those are the main points. tl;dr: everyone's hosed at the Wonderland.

... well poo poo, even I could have predicted that. Everybody knows Dissociative Identity Disorder almost never presents with just one alternate personality; it normally presents as an interlinked network of at least two or three alternate personalities, each of which serves a vital purpose in maintaining and sustaining the whole, while oftentimes representing a distinct facet of human brain cognition/performance.

(... okay, no, everybody doesn't know that, but I do and I really like to play Armchair Psychiatrist and occasionally sperg out over neuropsychiatry topics, so gently caress all yall :colbert:)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wait, do those Deadman Wonderland spoilers mean that Shiro dies at the end of Deadman Wonderland?

Because gently caress!! THAT. FUCKITY. JIVE. SHIIIIIIT!!!!! if it does. :cry:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Argus Zant posted:

whoa, what the gently caress? Since loving when does Bebop have an ED?

Oh snap, did they put the motherfuckin' Real Folk Blues back in this show?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cerony posted:

They're names are also based on the four classical elemental beings:
gnome - earth
salamander - fire
sylph - wind
undine - water

And their mechs are named after the Four Symbols:
Genbu - Black Tortoise
Suzaku - Vermilion Bird
Byakko - White Tiger
Seiryu - Azure Dragon

:psyboom: WHOA

(Technically sylphs are associated with "air" and not necessarily "wind", but holy poo poo I never noticed that part about their names.)

EDIT: Wait, why is Thymylph named after sylphs and Cytomandre named after salamanders? Shouldn't those two be the other way around?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 4, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Acquire Currency! posted:

hype train initiated

How long before they over-advertise it to hell and back?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Waffleman_ posted:

Who cares.

Me, kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS