Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so does his team get to have a second driver to change to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
in a perfect world the front 2 rows at Indy would be Arie Jr., AJIV, Casey Mears, Marco, Graham, and Tiny Al

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
there's a wicked cool short track there IIRC

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
placing blame on TG alone is dumb, the amount of stupidity around the split was plentiful and can be spread around

don't be greedy

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Like I've said earlier, I don't really give a gently caress anymore. I watch the ovals if I can, I still love the 500, but if the series and the fans want to continue down the same road, more power to you guys. It's no longer a series I have a vested interest in. I could care less if it dies and stock cars take over May, I really don't. It's not like I expect apologies if that happens, anyway.

Though I will say I've noticed an upswell of people pointing to a lack of ovals in recent months. Like the article says, the racing is always good just about, and after a decade of that they should have something to show for it.

They don't.

e- The hilarious counter argument that this is catered to old men is false, also. Sprint car crowds are packed with kids, they all have a favorite driver. Make a national, televised series where those kids can follow their favorite driver on up, what happens, those kids suddenly stop caring? I was TWELVE when I became a Stewart fan, and I followed him into the IRL, then NASCAR. Someone please tell me that I'm the exception.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 5, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

On the first part - then where are the crowds? I love Indycars on ovals, I wish they ran more ovals, I would go to more ovals if I could at all justify it... but outside of Indianapolis the ovals get absolutely nobody to show up. The racing has been better than any Game 7 moment NASCAR can manufacture, and even they're cutting seat counts to accomodate wider asses keep reporting sellouts at lower numbers.

I don't think changing the car is going to change that, either.

If I go to my local short track as an oval fan, I can keep up to date on the series because they run at other ovals. If I'm an oval fan that watches NASCAR, I can go to Pocono and then watch the series because almost the rest of the series is ovals.... and then they have me on the hook for the random road races they have, because I'm vested in the series. If I'm an oval fan, why would I spend money to go watch Indycars at Pocono if I know that almost the rest of the season is at a road or street course? That's 3 or 4 more local races I can attend for the same money, and personally, that's what I do. I've said it a poo poo ton, but most of us aren't average fans, we all watch just about all racing. The fact is, oval racing outdraws road racing in this country by a long shot. There's various reasons for this, but it's the undeniable truth. No amount of talking about how good the racing has been is gonna change that or convert oval fans.

On the NASCAR attendance thing, I think people forget just how many corporations bought huge blocks of tickets back in the early 2000's. Now, NASCAR has lost fans, sure, but the bigger problem with ticket sales is the artificial inflation imposed by corporate entities disappearing in the last 10 years.

quote:

On the second part - to clarify a bit, the kids at the short tracks watching people sliding sprint cars on dirt don't think Indy was better before 1964. They probably have no loving clue about Indy at all, and yeah that's a real problem.

I'm not saying I know what's going to fix Indycar, or that it isn't horribly broken - I just don't think that shitcanning what little the series does have going for it is a good idea. The road course events do draw significant crowds, and going to a non-aero open-wheeler could really present a major problem if only from the standpoint of the "top tier" series now being slower around the track than some of the sports cars.

That's the part I disagree with about that article. I'm not proposing a return to roadsters (though, like pnut, I'd watch the poo poo out of that), but let's not act like they can't change the cars. Common tub, single element front and rear wings, wider, softer tires that fall off, no undertray aero, no sidepod aero, open engine rules. Also, if someone wants to run a front engine car using the common tub, let them! Bring the design element back to Indy, and allow a path for small teams who wish to use stock blocks or other cost cutting measures a way to at least attempt the 500. Cut down on the reliance on aero, removing costly wind tunnel time, and you increase car counts. Increased car counts, diversity in car styles, and more ovals (ideally a 60/40 mix favoring ovals) and you'll get the fans back.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

well we don't want Indy to emulate F1, now do we

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

it used to be a hell of a lot more like f1 than it is now

yeah it used to be popular lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You can't market something the consumer doesn't want. The average American race fan doesn't want open wheel road racing.

It's not like F1 has made any headway into the market, either.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

Can we just gas this thread and start over

keep in mind I would have been content to not post had Fuzzy not posted that article and threw my name into it

you guys really need to stop doing that

"god I hate when Viking posts about ovals..... hey look an article about ovals, VIKING, WHAT SAY YOU"

*reads response, gets angry*

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 5, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

Let's talk about Actual IndyCar 2015 Stuff.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112186-indycar-2015-aero-kit-q-a

Yessssssss.

This is cool and good.

Peanut President posted:

Please don't post total lies in this thread, thanks. There is no one on earth who likes WEC.

C'mon man, all race fans need a series they can collectively point and laugh at. It fosters a common ground among disparate groups.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

I was under the impression that this was Formula 1

Well, F1 fans would object. The joke is no one watches WEC to defend it.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think anyone's advocating for keeping the DW12 as-is - I mean we're all still waiting to see what those aero kits that should've been here a few years ago will do. But I don't see most of those changes bringing the cost to compete down significantly. You might get the cost of putting together something that ranks as "an entry" down, but unless someone decides to wring the rules for all they're worth and come up with Son Of The Beast, it's still going to be hard to compete against teams that can afford more windtunnel time, more CFD time, and Ilmor / HPD engine contracts.

I don't think a month of May that consists of 20 fast cars and 40 field-fillers in whatever the gently caress they put together is necessarily going to bring in more fans than "we managed to get 33 DW12s", ignoring the Lotus debacle.

And at any rate, if you have different rules for the 500 than the rest of the year... you're just recreating the conditions that lead to the split yet again. You'd need to make stock-blocks at least legal year-round, and then you'd probably want to do something to make them not dangerously slow on road courses due to the inherent weight penalties.

These are fair criticisms and not ones easily solved. IMO personally, the oval thing is my biggest gripe, I'd be a hell of a lot more interested in the series regardless of the car if it just had more ovals. That's what I estimate the biggest issue to be, and aero kits might be the way to differentiate the cars enough to get people interested.

As it is now, I think a lot of people who don't know better just look at Indy as F1 Lights. I know that's what my circle of friends think.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, no one watches TUSC either (I do)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was being an rear end. ;).

Wasn't intended to piss you off or anything, just was kind of teasing you is all.

Oh I know, but that's how it starts. I actively try not to discuss ovals in here because it seems to upset people, but sometimes I gotta.

WindyMan posted:

History has shown that "just add more ovals" by itself doesn't work, though. It's only one part of the formula. You need good drivers, recognizable drivers, and a compelling race day experience for grandstand patrons, which includes full fields (24+ on short ovals, 30+ on super speedways). Only after you get all of those things can you afford to put more ovals on the schedule.

Then again, this has been the death spiral that IndyCar has found itself in: It can't add more ovals because it doesn't have the drivers or fields to make more of them viable, which means it can't attract the drivers or fields necessary to make adding more ovals viable.

I think the solution to this would be to throw more money at the ovals that are already there and make a Triple Crown or oval points championship extremely lucrative. Get the interest back from fans and drivers/owners, and then work from there.

Yeah, it's a terrible catch-22. That being said, don't make high paying oval races again, please. It ends badly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's what I've been saying for awhile. It might behoove them to just negotiate from a position of weakness for a few years until they get some power back. If they pay to race somewhere for 5 years or so and at the end of that contract they can show an increase in attendance, then they can renegotiate.

Sometimes I get the feeling that they don't do this simply because 30 years ago they wouldn't have. Pride really fucks with a man.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Copper World Classic going away didn't help. USAC also didn't help with those loving retarded side pod Silver Crown cars.

e- Look how awesome this poo poo was

.....and a Vukovich wins the supermod race, woulda been nice to see him at Indy, huh?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 5, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That and the old dogleg, old Phoenix owned and is super fun in iRacing. Try a sprinter there, you'll poo poo yourself.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Oval races without undercard events won't draw for poo poo, and NASCAR either has all of the undercard series at their control, or has the other ones who could theoretically run a non-speedway track by the balls.

Buy out ISMA :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think it was Cale Yarborough who actually ran Supermodifieds to train to run Indy fwiw.

He said they were actually the best thing to race to transition from Stock Cars to Indy.

They really are the closest thing going, tbh

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ahahaha holy poo poo

e- the one chat quote, lol "this race personifies 'hold my beer and watch this, man'"

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 6, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that owns

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
here ya go, guys

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Indianapolis_500_The_Simulation_1989

https://archive.org/details/msdos_IndyCar_Racing_1993

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

So who has the manual to get past copy protection?

hit "enter"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dudley posted:

Is there reasoning for this beyond "They shared a sponsor 2 decades ago"?

seriously, especially considering the hot poo poo Penske took on McLaren with the 917/30

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They really do need to give up some aero, though, I think that's the common theme in that Indy 2018 poo poo.

Dirty air is a motherfucker, and Power's point about geese and planes is perfect.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IceAgeComing posted:

ha I didn't actually know that, although it explains why that team used the Mercedes engine that year. He did use Toyota in the 2003 IRL season; but that might be because Toyota agreed to give AJ engines that year and he hired Shigsy for... some reason.

I think AJ hires bad Japanese drivers to highlight their lack of talent as payback for WWII or something

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

PotatoJudge posted:

Tonight's Bob's Burgers showed that open wheel racing is alive and well in the USA.

pssst no one watches that either

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

goddamnit why'd I have to channel him

e- gently caress and I agree with him, too

jesus christ

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm absolutely in it for the engineering.

e- also yeah Bobby is nuts thinking you can open the rules and cut costs, that's impossible. I've said stock blocks and limit testing and wind tunnel time, but let the chassis guys get creative, or conversely open it up and let people spend a poo poo ton, either/or works for me

spec cars are rear end, though, and contrary to what Indy should be

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 13, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The interest in racing back then was who could make their poo poo hot car run 11/10ths for 500 miles

They could make it the Indy 1000 and half the cars would still finish nowadays, that's bullshit

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I imagine dirt track/short track racing is succeeding right now in the county because...well...it's cheap.

$30 a head for WoO at OCFS, $40 at the Grove

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

George Zimmer posted:

I live 2 hours from the Grove and I've never been. Shame on me.

Dude.

Duuuuuude.

Go there this year, it's a loving amazing place to watch a sprint race at.

Here's the highlights of the race I was at.

THAT's loving racing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If you go, part of the infield is open to spectators. You can just pop in there and sit or stand and watch. I'd recommend getting front stretch seats for the features, but during quals go through the tunnel near turn 1 and watch them run as close as you can get. Then, take the bridge over to Beer Hill and watch a heat or two, and on the way back over try and time it so a heat starts when you're in the tunnel so you can feel them thunder over top of you.

Then go grab your seat and watch the A-Main.

Also, bring your beer 'cause they don't sell it there!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Always support your local scene, but the Grove is next level poo poo. Everyone should go to the Grove, even if it's an eight hour haul.

I drove almost five hours to get there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

Sam Hornish is a bad driver and he stinks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Spaced God posted:

Jesus Christ is 1992 the crashiest 500? I'm only on lap 75 and there's been like 6 cautions

1973 was

Google it at your own peril

e- gently caress I can't resist

:nws:
Art Pollard :rip:

Salt Walther :unsmith:

Swede Savage :rip:

:nws:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 15, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Spaced God posted:

I knew about Swede's crash but not the rest of them :gonk:

'73 was the most hosed up 500, '64 was pretty close behind

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sarah has a better sideburn game

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I am telling you I sat there and watched half the grandstand we were sitting in, and about half the people on the bank opposite, get up and go home after Hornish retired.

Forget it, he's rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

• Locked thread