Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/could-ryan-phinny-and-casamigos-be-in-indycar-in-2015/

Ryan Phinny is close to getting a ride in the series.

I just like the fact it's happening because it's really out of left field, but it should be quite amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

AJ mk4 is busy boning Jim Irsay's daughter. Just Al's sponsor went series level with Indy Lights and he does promotional stuff for them.

I wish Al III would have made the show. Still don't understand how he didn't.

We need an Unser around the paddock damnit.

Also don't forgot Arie Jr. who is racing off road trucks of all things.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

He's not good at racing cars, so that probably didnt help his chances.

Was he worse than Marco and Graham?

He works at Rick Galles Chevy btw, per their website

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I wish they gave you more laps...drat that was like..the literal greatest moment of my life right there. (so far, that is).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Someone asked in the NFL thread if "Indianapolis was known for anything?"

Jesus christ IndyCar, this shouldn't even be a loving question. poo poo has to change.

devmd01 posted:

I'm holding out to do the drive experience.

I want to do that at Mid Ohio one day.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

That it does, that it does.

The Busch Series races there were always mint.

e: I see that IMSA raced there for a race at the road course...I'm annoyed because I want to find footage/proof of that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Tony George was retarded and the Indy Racing League sucked.

I still believe that the guy could have done some great things with the sport had he not had the mindset of attempting to "Hate gently caress" CART out of existence.

An entire series dedicate to allowing smaller teams entrance into the sport, oval based and with the ability to get drivers people like Viking would cheer for? Great idea (in theory). Hell I'd love it if THAT'S what would happened, and we'd have an AL V. NL type rivalry that comes to a head each month in may.

The 25/8 rule, lovely Dallara/G-Force death trap cars and USAC officiating? gently caress off.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

placing blame on TG alone is dumb, the amount of stupidity around the split was plentiful and can be spread around

don't be greedy

Oh absolutely.

The CART owners should have never done the US 500 in the first place. I'd have showed up to Walt Disney World, Phoenix, and Indy...then just tried to take every place in the starting field away from IRL drivers as possible.

I guess Roger had a deal in place with the guy to have had CART cars pretty much guaranteed to be in the show...and the CART owners didn't want to do it. Some weird form of pride they all had.

loving stupid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112161-indycar-2018-by-mark-dill

Viking's pen name is apparently Mark Dill.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It was still an epically stupid decision for TG to try to go without the stars, and an equally stupid decision by CART to think that no matter how good / how strong CART was in 1992-1995, that they could ever dream of surviving without the 500.

Sport hosed up and just really handed every thing to NASCAR on a silver platter.

This isn't to say that NASCAR wasn't going to grow to the point that it eventually did. It was really well on it's way at that point, but inviting them into your own backyard, and then destroying your own event in the process? Goddamn, you couldn't have made it more easier for them to take control of the direction of auto racing in the US.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just don't buy the anti-furriners/technology argument.

I also don't believe that most people were turned off of that as a lot of people mention. My dad's an Indiana native, yet his eyes grew wide when he saw the Turbine car and the Chaperel Ground Effects car at the Speedway museum.

I went to practices/races as a kid and I really didn't seem to care where the drivers were from, but I was more so amazed at the sounds of the engines and how "futuristic" the cars looked.

It would be amazing to see more "Dirt Track" talent at this level, I don't think I'd want to see the sport go backwards just to accomplish that.

IOwnCalculus posted:

On the first part - then where are the crowds? I love Indycars on ovals, I wish they ran more ovals, I would go to more ovals if I could at all justify it... but outside of Indianapolis the ovals get absolutely nobody to show up. The racing has been better than any Game 7 moment NASCAR can manufacture, and even they're cutting seat counts to accomodate wider asses keep reporting sellouts at lower numbers.

Well and that's the problem.

I don't the powers that be are not going to ovals out of spite. Rather..I think it's more so related to what you just mentioned.

And as you mentioned towards the end? Visibility PERIOD is a problem. When people are no longer associating "Indianapolis" with "Racing"....that's a BIG problem. The sport needs to find better ways to promote itself.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

The average American race fan doesn't want open wheel road racing.

Let's just boil down this argument a bit.

You may say that, but I just get the vibe that there are indeed a lot of race fans out there, but they simply have not been reached properly.

My friends for example? Watched Petit Le Mans with me along with Formula 1. They were impressed with how the cars looked, and overall the skill it took to drive on some of those road courses.

...They were not truly aware either of those even existed until I was watching it with them on a couch while drinking one night.

On the flipside? They make fun of NASCAR and consider it a joke. They don't find the racing interesting, and they don't even remotely relate to anything that's apart of that element.

NASCAR is the only auto racing in the states that get's any sort of coverage. There's a lot of people who just tune out of it because they don't like the product. Sure there's a lot of people that watch it (even I on occasion), but it's not a "growing" demographic by any stretch of the imagination.

I think the reason people don't watch the Indy 500 is simply because they don't know it's on TV.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

this thread is entirely americans and look how bad it sucks. qed

Americans suck.

Give us some Brazilians, Australians, and Canadians up in here.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Please don't post total lies in this thread, thanks. There is no one on earth who likes WEC.

That wasn't a WEC race.

That was TUSC.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Well, no one watches TUSC either (I do)

As do I.

Miss ALMS though. :smith:.

VikingSkull posted:

keep in mind I would have been content to not post had Fuzzy not posted that article and threw my name into it,

I was being an rear end. ;).

Wasn't intended to piss you off or anything, just was kind of teasing you is all.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

In related news, PWC owns.

The most correct statement made in this thread in a long time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Oval races without undercard events won't draw for poo poo, and NASCAR either has all of the undercard series at their control, or has the other ones who could theoretically run a non-speedway track by the balls.

For as much criticism as non-oval indy races get? That is the one thing they definitely offer.

Nothing like walking through Mid Ohio, and seeing the PWC/MRTI cars being wheeled through the paddock.

It's the one thing that Indycar and those series get right.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 6, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think it was Cale Yarborough who actually ran Supermodifieds to train to run Indy fwiw.

He said they were actually the best thing to race to transition from Stock Cars to Indy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/indycar-team-co-owner-sarah-fisher-to-compete-in-this-months-chili-bowl/

SARAH FISHER IS BACK...

....she's racing at the Chili Bowl!

This is pretty awesome.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.chilibowl.com/entries/manual.aspx?c=1197

She's running Wednesday.

Her brother in law and noted one off Indy Lights driver Kyle O'Gara is running Thursday, Potential Future Lights/Series driver and son of Billy, Chad Boat* is running Friday, as is Bryan Clausen, former and future starter in the Indy 500 is as well.

Future Indy Lights Driver Davey Hamilton Jr. may run, but he's not said anything either way about it.

e: Also of note? NASCAR talent Kyle Larson, Kenny Wallace and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. are also in.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 7, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Andretti targeting 5 cars, with 4 cars sounding pretty certain. Lots of interesting names on his list, including Wilson, Jean Eric Vergne, Abt, Simona, and even Kevin Magnussen. If he can add someone like Wilson, that would go a long way to helping Honda this year.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112268-indycar-andretti-aiming-for-5-car-honda-program

Dream Scenario would be McLaren funding a 5th car for "Traditions sake" (Cue photo ops with Johnny Rutherford and the McLaren at the IMS museum) and having Magnussen run.

Paint it in a bitching orange and blue color scheme, then call it a day.

I'm also an optimistic idiot.

All of those name intrigue me though. Every last one of them should have a ride at Indy IMO. I think Vergne has some serious talent, as does Magnussen. McLaren would be loving foolish not to keep him in house and give him poo poo to do during that time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm quite excited that it appears that IndyCar seems to be viable option for a lot of people again.

I think a lot of people steered clear of the IRL because of how dangerous the IR05's were (Montoya for example), and I think the DW-12's must have impressed them quite a bit.

There's a lot of reasons to be optimistic about the sport in my opinion. There's work to be done, but I truly feel the sport is not doomed as a lot of people are being led to believe.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

The series has pretty good sized fields, good drivers, a title sponsor, good crowds at lots of races, incredible racing, engine competition, visually different cars (for race 2 at least), good leadership, and is breaking even. It's doing pretty drat good, certainly better than its been in well over a decade. There is really no doom left.

But there is probably never going to be some massive resurgence. It's just not likely to ever happen. 1975, 1980s, 1995, its all gone. Forever. Sorry. Just gotta be ok with that.

Yeah I'm fine with that.

There's an old RPM 2 Night from 1999 that was pretty much highlighting how hosed everything was. I believe Robin Miller was even advocating that Bill France Jr. buy out both sides, and then for them to run under the NASCAR banner.

There's a few things on a semi-realistic wishlist I'd like (3rd/4th Engine, and the return to places like MIS and Road America), but it doesn't feel like we're at a "dark time" at this point in the sport.

The indirect good thing about having to have to reunify after the split is that nobody can really pull any of this poo poo any more because....there's literally no more options at this point. This is it. It feels like the powers in the sport know of this, and are doing their best to kind of circle the wagons.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Phallus Malice posted:

Until the major series get there promotion and marketing right, its going to be more of the same no matter what type of rules are in place. Indy Car in particular needs to find some way to connect with the average fan. Its really kinda upsetting because the on track racing has been great.

Well, I mean that's a problem across every series right now. (well except WOO).

A lot of people will go up and point to ratings for NASCAR...but have you noticed that there's been a sharp downturn in attendance? Sure as hell isn't cheap to go to a NASCAR race for their "blue collar" fanbase, and the "surburb types" have all but completely lost interest in the sport.

For IndyCar...the reason is kind of similar, though it always struck me that the "Surburb" types that NASCAR got from 1995-2008? Were all people that would have been at IndyCar races back in the day. Those types? Well they've just left the sphere entirely.

I imagine dirt track/short track racing is succeeding right now in the county because...well...it's cheap. For IndyCar AND NASCAR to succeed on ovals they need to kind of bring that culture to events like Milwaukee and Texas. (The Road Course/Street Course model is working really, really, really well...so need to worry about say...Long Beach or Mid Ohio).

I do agree with Bobby Unser in that the sport really needs to try to evaluate the Indy 500 again to a decent level in terms of promotion and coverage in order for the sport to succeed. I think when you get it to a certain level? It'll trickle back down to other events and allow the drivers of the 500/ICS to become more visible figures.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

again: air the loving indy 500 in indy. this is bar none the stupidest thing indycar is currently doing.

The problem would be...? It would hurt attendance. Perhaps it should be similar to the NFL, in that if the race is a sell out? It'll be aired on local TV.

Also if I lived in Indiana? I would be at the race, hell or highwater. :).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

$30 a head for WoO at OCFS, $40 at the Grove

Mid Ohio is 20 on Friday, 50 on Saturday, 50 on Sunday.

Also Paddock Pass is 25...which would seem excessive, but it was quite worth the money.

I feel like I'm getting bang for my buck, don't get me wrong, but it's a tad bit pricey.

e: These are all if you didn't pay for the tix in advance.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 14, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

For *excellent* seats and a paddock pass, I paid over $100 for Pocono this past summer. These were, however, the absolute best seats at the track.

I got to meet:

Rick Mears, Sarah Fisher, Dario Franchitti, Chip Ganassi, Will Power, Tim Cindric, James Hinchcliffe, Conor Daly, Simon Pagenaud, Ryan Hunter Reay, Sebastian Saavadra, Mikhail Aleshin, Leigh Diffey and David Hobbs because I paid the extra 25 bucks.

I also got to see every type of car on the MRTI paddock, and as an added bonus? Got to look at the PWC cars for free. (beautiful things too).

The ticket was about the same as how much a Browns ticket was (with all of this included), but I got so much more out of it than one would think possible. Hell, I've had VIP "Family and Friends" passes at Browns Training Camp before, but it was nowhere near as good as what I've had at any given IndyCar event.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 14, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

i wish that win went to anyone other than hornish bc he was a giant pile of failure after leaving indycar and has bad sideburns

This, this, this, this, THIS.

The dude has no Indy legacy any more. Like the only people that are truly remembered for that victory now are Roger and Tim Cindric.

loving Buddy Rice, Buddy Lazier, Eddie Cheever and Kenny Brack are remembered way more fondly than ol' sideburns.

It'd have been nice if Michael would have won...we'd have had him hug Marco in victory lane, and retire a champion.

gently caress Sam Hornish Jr. forever.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

My old man asked Michael about that when he was chillin' in the tent and the TV feed was replaying that race. The answer was pretty much :smith:.

It's bullshit the guy doesn't have an Indy win. ESPECIALLY that year.

At least when he blew it in 1991 and 1992 it went to two AWESOME champions in the form of Rick Mears and Little Al.

Hornish is literally the only 500 champ I can go back in time and admit to really disliking. I know a lot of people disliked the wins by Dixon, Dario, and Helio in the past, but all of those guys really come across as fully embracing the sport. I can't even get mad at Helio for 02 even though I very much believe PT should be on that trophy.

Hornish? Is currently a nobody.

e: 2002 was a real good 500 save for the ending btw. Paul Tracy should have been drinking the milk, and that bad rear end Kool Green Chevy G-Force should be in the museum.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In retrospect, would it have not been for the best for to have just given Tracy the win?

I guarantee there isn't any remaining "us v. them" mentality left in the sport as what soon appeared (yet again) after that win. That probably gave the CART owners (save for Chip, Roger, Michael and Bobby) one last reason to go "gently caress off" and not just fully merge the two.

Would RP have caused some poo poo with TG had he not been given the win or something?

Cygni posted:

Hornish was good at IndyCars, but hes thoroughly mediocre at best at stockcars..

It's just kind of sad to see someone with some real talent use it to suck at another form of the sport.

If the guy was like Tony Stewart level or something? I wouldn't blame him, but drat if the guy just is really a nobody there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sarah Fisher apparently won the D-Main at the Chili Bowl.

She loving owns.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

i was in tears when TK won, i imagine i would just lose control and destroy my apt if sarah won

My brother and I were walking down the paddock at Mid Ohio just curious if any drivers were out in the morning when we showed. We didn't see anyone out...but a voice suddenly said

"How are you guys doing?"

...Sarah Freaking Fisher...

Me and my brother stuttered like idiots.

We talked and she was just super nice and friendly. We told we were at her first win as team owner and stuff.

She owns. It sucks she never got a good ride because goddamn she sure as hell has the talent.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bhester posted:

Sam Hornish is bad and sucks, but Sarah Fisher is great. Got ya. You're not allowed to use the "the field was weak when Hornish was on top" argument because she was doing poorly when he was owning.

Sam Hornish drove for Panther (as was mentioned before) and Penske.

Sarah? Outside of Walker, she's really never had anything close to a top-tier ride.

I just flat out dislike the guy right now. If you tweet at the great Phil Clark he'll expand on it a bit more.

drgitlin posted:

I never understood the Hornish love, but if you ever went to Mid Ohio when he was racing there you realized it was apparently a real thing because when he retired half the people packed up and went home.

I'm not so sure that's the case.

The attendence is a tad bit lighter than it was during the CART days, but I don't get this vibe that Ohio has any Hornish fan boys.

Rahal? Yeah I can hear that out. Andretti and a few others. But I don't think people in Ohio give a poo poo one way or the other about the guy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Remember that horrible Ed Hinton series of articles on the split where he basically blamed Hornish beating Andretti for not causing a renaissance in interest of open wheel motorsport

I always wondered if Marco winning the thing would indeed be a big shot in the arm to help it improve in terms of being a tad bit in the promotional department. (hint: it's not happening because...Andretti Curse).

Part of me thinks it would because he seems to be the most well known driver in the paddock just via his last name.

Part of me doesn't think so and thinks that it's just going to take IndyCar just to continue to provide good racing and to continue to have the leaders of the sport try to guide it down an even path

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

Marco is a loving fraud

This is true.

I still have yet to understand the attitude he copes. Every one else in the paddock is generally chill except him. (Juan won't acknowledge people, but I think that guy is in some sort of weird "gently caress you all...I'm trying to prove to you I'm a great driver again" mode).

Marco...you've won two races.....the other drivers in the series have accomplished much, much more....what's your loving deal?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like most times I've been in his vicinity I get the feeling he's more just painfully shy than an rear end in a top hat.

It's the wrong career for someone like that, but what else do you do when you're next in line from one of the most accomplished all-around drivers in history, and one of the most accomplished Indycar drivers in history?

I don't know, we do have a goon here who's like best buds with him, but he's not posted in quite some time.

I'd like him to be good and win the drat thing because I grew up a fan of the Andretti's. To see that family finally win the drat thing would be really, really, really cool to see, almost on par with one of my teams winning a title.

Marco and Graham would have benefited from running in Europe I think. I think Marco should have ran a full season of Lights, then did Atlantics and then have Michael fund a ChampCar seat in retrospect. Dude just jumped in too quick.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Daytona_500

If you want to see the lowest, low point of American Open Wheel Racing being NASCAR's bitch....this race right here was pretty much it.

I never got it either...it was puzzling. The whole mass open wheel exodus that happened during that time period was ugly and I think actually hurt racing in both series.

I didn't understand what made NASCAR owners go "You know I need to get a driver for this car. I have sponsorship and everything else is set...but who...hmmm...I KNOW! I'LL GET SOMEONE WHO WON IN CART!"

To have lost the Jeff Gordon's, Tony Stewart's, Ryan Newman's (allegedly tested for Panther) and Kasey Kahne's of the world was bad enough...but to have been lost people who were sincerely in the Open Wheel Scene in both Europe and North America? That was the lowest of the low.

e: To add the four lowest points in AOWR history were as follows:

1. 2011 World Championship Race at Las Vegas
2. 1996 US 500/Indy 500
3. 2008 Daytona 500
4. 2002 Indy 500

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 17, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Also your list is a personal list, because the fire in '64, the clusterfuck that was '73, and Vukovich's death in '55 blow those out of the water easily. I mean, I get what you're saying, but open wheel racing existed before we were all born, man.

Right, but those didn't really do "damage" PR wise to the sport in the same way that the 2011 race did.

We watched THE DEFENDING INDY 500 CHAMPION die on national television, and there were drivers like Jimmie Johnson insisting that we should never race on ovals again.

it's not like the thing had never happened before in racing, but I think it just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back. A gimmick that was designed to put IndyCar in a more positive place backfired so, so, badly.

VikingSkull posted:

The worst part is that those open wheel regulars who jumped ship then got curb stomped. It wouldn't have been as bad if they did ok.

It was bad all around.

Indy fans hated it. NASCAR fans hated it.

Danica appears to have been the end of that trend barring guys like Tagliani running road courses. (the only types of races that Indy turned NASCAR drivers truly excel at).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

'73 was one of the shittiest years ever for racing in general, not even including the series of disasters at the 500. At least Benny Parsons got his title that year.

I don't remember anything about the 2008 Daytona 500.

In the same way where 1993 was the high point for the sport of IndyCar racing attracting the best of the best in terms of talent from around the world? NASCAR was pretty much at that point in 2008.

Dario Franchitti, Juan Montoya, Patrick Carpetentier, Jacques Villeneuve, Sam Hornish Jr., and AJ Allmendinger all were trying to make that field that week.

The last two were held up as positive examples of :911: drivers in the sport of AOWR. Jacques and Juan were the best examples of the CART model working in terms of it being respected by the World...and now those two didn't want to come anywhere near the (newly) unified ICS.

Dario was the defending Indy 500 and IRL series champ...and didn't come back to defend either title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AxeBreaker posted:

Between that accident, and Champ Car's lovely promoter sticking the city with $4 million in debt, IndyCar is never coming to Las Vegas again, in any form. A hero died, hopes were crushed, the whole thing sucks.

I cringe at the idea of seeing a DW-12 ever running that track again.

What sucks is...on paper? The idea sounded cool. 33 drivers running in a season finale with the title on the line? An event with the intent of trying to get drivers from other series to run it? That would have been amazing to see if they could have done it successfully..

Imagine if such an event was ran at Fontana with DW-12s instead of the Pack Racing we saw?

• Locked thread