Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Possibly Chicken posted:

Woah I just noticed they have more legit road courses on the schedule this year then "Bumfuck random parking lot in a city races. That's cool at least.

Also might want to add that Russian dude who's name i don't feel like spelling that got hosed up at Fontana to the RIP

Aleshin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

It reminded me of the old Vancouver which was always my favorite CART street track.

Old Vancouver was awesome.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Arie Jr was intensely bad

There was an Arie Jr.?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow this guy spent like 8 years in Indy Lights lol.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Tony George was retarded and the Indy Racing League sucked.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The IRL's problem was that it did not have enough ovals.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Andretti targeting 5 cars, with 4 cars sounding pretty certain. Lots of interesting names on his list, including Wilson, Jean Eric Vergne, Abt, Simona, and even Kevin Magnussen. If he can add someone like Wilson, that would go a long way to helping Honda this year.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112268-indycar-andretti-aiming-for-5-car-honda-program

I think JEV is staying with Ferrari F1.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

The series has pretty good sized fields, good drivers, a title sponsor, good crowds at lots of races, incredible racing, engine competition, visually different cars (for race 2 at least), good leadership, and is breaking even. It's doing pretty drat good, certainly better than its been in well over a decade. There is really no doom left.

But there is probably never going to be some massive resurgence. It's just not likely to ever happen. 1975, 1980s, 1995, its all gone. Forever. Sorry. Just gotta be ok with that. It's those people that can't let go of the past that are whining on every comment section, but they are massive turd loser idiots.

People also forget exactly how poo poo some of the field fillers were back in the heyday. Sometimes it was equipment (Arnd Meier using a Lola in 1998 for some reason) but certain drivers make Saavedra look good by comparison.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The DW12 is a good car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

counterpoint; Shigeaki Hattori, who had his licence revoked after seven races for being poo poo.

I've never rewatched it (because I thought it was dull as poo poo) but it was an ABC race and I'm sure they just followed the leaders all race while they ignored racing down in the pack; which was apparently pretty good for a street race. But then Barber happened and that was a great race; helped by the fact that the TV coverage actually covered cars racing rather than just the leader!

The Shig was so bad and embarrassing that both Honda and Toyota refused to supply him engines. Traditionally, they would help Japanese drivers.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

because I'm a sad nerd I decided to look up his stats; and discovered that another Hattori ran in CART in 1999. He was second last in the championship while Shigsy was last: so I'm going to guess that he wasn't much better

Naoki Hattori wasn't too bad. He was a Japanese F3 Champ but past his prime at that point. He actually made it to F1 too, driving the worst car on the grid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Marco Greco: IRL polesitter and 3rd in the 1996/97 championship

just shows how poo poo the early irl was tbh

Shig also finished in the top 10 in IRL a couple times.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Would Mercedes in 1994 count? Although Penske seemed to cover most of the costs of that project: it still was lots of money on an engine designed solely to win only Indy, as it was useless anywhere else as it couldn't run any extra boost in CART races.

Its also probably the reason why 1995 happened; although we really can't say. I read this really quite interesting set of articles on the Mercedes engine which contains a little section on 1995; its really quite interesting especially if you don't know a great deal about it. There's also a book that came out last year about it that's meant to be pretty good: I've not looked at it yet though so I can't really say.

The 500 is prestigious enough, and it was more or less exploiting a ridiculous loophole. I don't think the investment was that massive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You can have "parity" if you want, the end result is usually the same; the best prepared and well-funded teams end up winning everything.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Since 2012, Indycar has been less equal (the Chevrolets have had a distinct edge) but the racing much better. Compare with 2011.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

F1 is a good example, the laptimes from first-to-last are probably closer than they've ever been and the last two seasons have been some of the most comprehensively dominant in history.

If we use F1, the banning of electronic aids and the end of the 3.5L era actually widened the gulf between the big and small teams, so much so that by the end of 1996 all of the privateer teams had vanished and left former midfielders struggling to survive, even though it was intended to do the opposite.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
:fraud:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

It was cold as balls and neither Goodyear or Firestone would admit that their tires were borderline useless in near-freezing temperatures. These days Firestone probably might not have let them onto the track.

I thought it was Goodyear only until 1995 or so.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Horny Hornish.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Possibly Chicken posted:

Considering the dozens of almost fatal crashes he's had, along with killer bee attacks, bulldozer wrecks, and spending a month in the hospital at age 79, I think he might be too badass to die.

He also employs Takuma Sato.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

remember how marco had intentions of becoming an f1 driver :laffo:

Really? The last thing I read from him regarding F1 was that "they" intentionally sabotaged the MP4/8 his dad drove so he wouldn't do well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WindyMan posted:

http://www.ibj.com/articles/51355-top-feeder-series-for-indycar-is-back-from-the-brink

I would immediately care more about Indy Lights if they had Buschwackers in some of the races. I mean, Road to Indywackers. Or whatever.

Bless Dan Andersen.

I don't think this is a very good idea, I'm afraid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gordon wanted to end up in Indycars originally, it would be nice send off. I'm dreaming here though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

Chilton has a better racing resume than half the field in IndyCars.

He's a real talent.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't enthusiastic when Honda used Wirth's company to design their aerokits.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uh was that the team run by F1 reject and Inaugural F3000 Champion Christian Danner? Because if so lol.

Also;

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 23, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Best outing by Andrea Moda though it's Euromotorsport but that's not saying much for a poo poo team in CART in the early 90s anyway.

e: Also this wasn't run by Danner, it was started by Antonio Ferrari. Are you thinking of poo poo CART driver Eric Bachelart since he started and still has Conquest Racing?

Yeah sorry I was thinking of Project Indy :X

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

it's not that, it's more the whole "people don't give a poo poo about cars anymore" thing. NASCAR's audience is getting older and older and they clearly have no freaking clue how to lure young fans other than maybe having Tony run more people over

Jumps. Speed Arrows.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We may get some wacky Formula Libre out of the Motorsport collapse.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Race Cars>Road Cars. I'd take one of those lovely March-Alfas over any Tin Top any day.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 27, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are we talking about cars in general or the technical aspects of the race cars? Because I'm more interested in the latter.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of engineering goes into stock cars as well, and I like the fact that they still use Manual gearboxes. I read an issue of racer where Pagenaud described his ideal series; basically allowing for aero and active suspension, but with fully manual gearboxes. I like him.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Possibly Chicken posted:

Rip Indycar, remember Toronto and how much damage he did in one race?

I was there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looking good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The DW12 isn't great looking but those 2003-2011 IRL cars are the worst single-seaters ever made.

I can't really get used to the semi-enclosed rear but eh, good racing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KingShibby posted:

Allowing teams to just show up in May and race in the 500 is a joke and cheapens the 500. There should be a requirement that any one-off entry for the 500 is also required to race in the other Triple Crown races (Pocono/Fontana).

I disagree with this. One offs should be allowed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have PTSD from cancelled races.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Champ Car 2007 was high comedy.

It was so good that I stopped watching US racing for 2 years.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Zandvoort was neat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think 16 is an ok number. As much as I'm a fan of races outside of North America I don't think it's viable right now. This also means Vikingskull was right :stonk:

• Locked thread