Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I miss Baltimore.

Agreed, though Houston can eat a dick (or get completely repaved) before I consider that anything close to a "track".

Also, all hail the cutest winner of the 500 in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

go3 posted:

Will Power owns

I need to sit down one of these days and make a title of the many faces of one William Power. Off the top of my head I can think of New Hampshire Double Birds, Sonoma(?) I-Done-hosed-Up face, Fontana prerace CRAZYEYES, and 2014 Indycar Champion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

There was an Arie Jr.?

Far more famous for his appearance on The Bachelorette than any of his limited racing career.

VikingSkull posted:

in a perfect world the front 2 rows at Indy would be Arie Jr., AJIV, Casey Mears, Marco, Graham, and Tiny Al

And in P7, Mark Plourde.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 2, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wish they gave you more laps...drat that was like..the literal greatest moment of my life right there. (so far, that is).

Well, if you weren't me in 1993 and thus lucky enough to win what ended up being two laps riding shotgun in a pace car with Lloyd Ruby at the wheel... :smuggo:

Watching him decide he was tired of following Rutherford around at highway speeds as we came out of 4 the first time was pretty much The Best.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

An entire series dedicate to allowing smaller teams entrance into the sport, oval based and with the ability to get drivers people like Viking would cheer for? Great idea (in theory). Hell I'd love it if THAT'S what would happened, and we'd have an AL V. NL type rivalry that comes to a head each month in may.

That concept would've been interesting but I don't think it would've been viable any longer than CART vs IRL was already. You still run into the core problem of fighting for attention on every non-Indy race, and I'd wager some shenanigans would've occurred where if one side wanted to gently caress the other, they'd try to do something like start Indy practice a week earlier while the other is elsewhere.

It was still an epically stupid decision for TG to try to go without the stars, and an equally stupid decision by CART to think that no matter how good / how strong CART was in 1992-1995, that they could ever dream of surviving without the 500.

Finished reading Beast yesterday - definitely recommend it to anyone in here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd watch it too but if you're really trying to appeal to people who think Indy was better before 1964, you're literally playing to a market that is just about dead. You're now offering even less differentiation between you and NASCAR and it's just another step into literally becoming part of their ladder.

Banning aero is also never going to happen. Literally, you can do it but you won't actually do it. We live in an age of CFD, so unless you literally regulate every loving nut, bolt, suspension wishbone, and side profile, someone is going to figure out a way to make a wingless car still generate downforce (or at least, less lift). Banning wind-tunnels is laughable and will just push the bar more towards whoever can get more time on a server farm.

I also don't see this significantly lowering the cost to enter. If we're not going to go backwards in terms of safety - then we're still going to have a CF tub for the drivers, yes? This is not going to magically become a car that can be built in some house's garage two blocks from 16th and Georgetown.

It's also predicated upon some insistence that if only these cars were more like dirt track cars, it would get more good drivers, but I just don't think that's the case. There's already more qualified drivers who want to race in Indycar, than there are seats in Indycar for them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

Yeah, as much as it was stupid to deliberately not use windtunnels for the early Marussia/Virgin F1 cars they still designed a car quicker than a DW12 round real road circuits without using one. It certainly wouldn't reduce costs. And wouldn't dramatically change the shape of anything.

Oh it'd certainly change the shape compared to the DW12 if you come out and make a rule that says "no wings" but then you're going to get all sorts of wings that don't look like wings. You're also still going to have the same "problem" where all the cars look similar because we are so far down the road of solving the problems that racecars encounter, where they're all going to look about the same. Funny enough, to me most of the Watson/Offys look just about the same anyway...

Peanut President posted:

edit: I don't think Indycar even attracts new viewers it's just die hards who haven't died yet.

This is probably true. :smith:

VikingSkull posted:

Though I will say I've noticed an upswell of people pointing to a lack of ovals in recent months. Like the article says, the racing is always good just about, and after a decade of that they should have something to show for it.

e- The hilarious counter argument that this is catered to old men is false, also. Sprint car crowds are packed with kids, they all have a favorite driver. Make a national, televised series where those kids can follow their favorite driver on up, what happens, those kids suddenly stop caring? I was TWELVE when I became a Stewart fan, and I followed him into the IRL, then NASCAR. Someone please tell me that I'm the exception.

On the first part - then where are the crowds? I love Indycars on ovals, I wish they ran more ovals, I would go to more ovals if I could at all justify it... but outside of Indianapolis the ovals get absolutely nobody to show up. The racing has been better than any Game 7 moment NASCAR can manufacture, and even they're cutting seat counts to accomodate wider asses keep reporting sellouts at lower numbers.

I don't think changing the car is going to change that, either.

On the second part - to clarify a bit, the kids at the short tracks watching people sliding sprint cars on dirt don't think Indy was better before 1964. They probably have no loving clue about Indy at all, and yeah that's a real problem.

I'm not saying I know what's going to fix Indycar, or that it isn't horribly broken - I just don't think that shitcanning what little the series does have going for it is a good idea. The road course events do draw significant crowds, and going to a non-aero open-wheeler could really present a major problem if only from the standpoint of the "top tier" series now being slower around the track than some of the sports cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Once again give me one year, this year, and I will do my best to fix this problem. Let's just say my solution involves another similar thing that many of us are a part of... :wink:

The 2016 IndyCar Series Presented By EVE Online

VikingSkull posted:

That's the part I disagree with about that article. I'm not proposing a return to roadsters (though, like pnut, I'd watch the poo poo out of that), but let's not act like they can't change the cars. Common tub, single element front and rear wings, wider, softer tires that fall off, no undertray aero, no sidepod aero, open engine rules. Also, if someone wants to run a front engine car using the common tub, let them! Bring the design element back to Indy, and allow a path for small teams who wish to use stock blocks or other cost cutting measures a way to at least attempt the 500. Cut down on the reliance on aero, removing costly wind tunnel time, and you increase car counts. Increased car counts, diversity in car styles, and more ovals (ideally a 60/40 mix favoring ovals) and you'll get the fans back.

I don't think anyone's advocating for keeping the DW12 as-is - I mean we're all still waiting to see what those aero kits that should've been here a few years ago will do. But I don't see most of those changes bringing the cost to compete down significantly. You might get the cost of putting together something that ranks as "an entry" down, but unless someone decides to wring the rules for all they're worth and come up with Son Of The Beast, it's still going to be hard to compete against teams that can afford more windtunnel time, more CFD time, and Ilmor / HPD engine contracts.

I don't think a month of May that consists of 20 fast cars and 40 field-fillers in whatever the gently caress they put together is necessarily going to bring in more fans than "we managed to get 33 DW12s", ignoring the Lotus debacle.

And at any rate, if you have different rules for the 500 than the rest of the year... you're just recreating the conditions that lead to the split yet again. You'd need to make stock-blocks at least legal year-round, and then you'd probably want to do something to make them not dangerously slow on road courses due to the inherent weight penalties.

Edit: gently caress yeah, at least in theory these aero kits are turning out to be a nice step forward.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I think the solution to this would be to throw more money at the ovals that are already there and make a Triple Crown or oval points championship extremely lucrative. Get the interest back from fans and drivers/owners, and then work from there.

This leads me back to something I said last year - does it ever make sense, then, for Indycar to chase down some oval events for the sake of balancing the schedule? The number one reason they don't go back to places like Phoenix is because they can't show anyone that it will make any money. At what point does the series stop trying to make millions at each individual race?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Nobody went to Phoenix when the IRL was running an all-oval schedule either.

Yup, though a lot of that was that people here were really burned by the IRL-grade rejects since the track went with the IRL right from the get-go. It was a really, really bad sign when the ticket scalpers stopped showing up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Man, I'd forgotten how different Phoenix looked without the Allison stands in 1/2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Rip flat Phoenix and flat, bizzaro indianapolis-clone homestead.

OG Phoenix forever.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

gently caress it, 500 miles of Supermodifieds :getin::fap:

Would so watch this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They can play with downforce until they get to something they like. They did a DW12 test at Phoenix ages ago with the roadcourse wings and the car was flat the whole way around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Might be the second best news that could possibly have been posted in the thread at this point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

e: seriously just finished that and he nails every single point. WillyP for prez.

100% on board and I've only gotten this far already.

Willy P posted:

How many wins did Penske get that year – 12 out of 16? Man, if a team won three-quarters of the races in 2015, everyone would be hitting the forums and Twitter and Facebook and all that b.s. to complain.

Edit: Yep. Power For President.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 8, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think they need to get rid of reds / blacks, but make the new blacks more grippy / shorter lived than the current reds, and new reds even more so. More mechanical grip (without giving up tons of aero) and tire life that makes trying to make fuel mileage kill you on speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Bring the design element back to Indy, and allow a path for small teams who wish to use stock blocks or other cost cutting measures a way to at least attempt the 500. Cut down on the reliance on aero, removing costly wind tunnel time, and you increase car counts. Increased car counts, diversity in car styles, and more ovals (ideally a 60/40 mix favoring ovals) and you'll get the fans back.

Oh hi, Uncle Bobby.

I still think he's delusional on "why is the cost of racing so high". It's so high because you can't put the cat back in the bag.

Honest question - when was the first time a manufacturer went full-on drat-the-torpedoes spending to win Indy? Once that happens, it drives the cost up, and the only way to get it back down is by limiting further development. I don't necessarily count a major sponsor here since in theory that money's still going into a smaller team. Something on the order of the 917/30, the kind of car that wrecks a series.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It was also, if you believe Beast, funded very little by MB. Ilmor and Penske started it with no manufacturer at all and MB jumped in quite late.

I've got to imagine that someone did it before, though? I guess its what USAC was afraid Porsche and Alfa would do.

At any rate in this day and age its not just the materials that cost megabucks. A highly complex wing is still going to cost a shitload of labor hours to build accurately out of fiberglass or aluminum, and a lot of engineering time before that.

There's just no such thing as an open-spec but cost-controlled racing series and it seems that's what Bobby wants.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I like the blackout because it means I can watch the race when I get back to my friend's place and see what I missed on TV by being there :v:

But yes blackouts are loving stupid.

Good races? The end of Iowa last year is pretty drat hilarious. Pick any of the DW12 500s but of the three I'd go with 2014 just because it's the only one to end under green so far.

Watch Fontana 2012 back-to-back with Fontana 2013 to see the two very different faces of Will Power.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

2006 500 was a pro choice as well. 1992 is worth it for the finish and the clusterfuck of wrecks that led up to it, 1994 if you want to watch an Ilmor curbstomp the field.

Also, the 2013 Freedom 100 Lights race.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

It'd have been nice if Michael would have won...we'd have had him hug Marco in victory lane, and retire a champion.

My old man asked Michael about that when he was chillin' in the tent and the TV feed was replaying that race. The answer was pretty much :smith:.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: 2002 was a real good 500 save for the ending btw. Paul Tracy should have been drinking the milk, and that bad rear end Kool Green Chevy G-Force should be in the museum.

Oh hey I get to post this again

My only real beef with Dario, in hindsight, was his stupid loving "I CAN COUNT TO THREEEEEEEEE" wife hoovering up as much attention as she could. Unfortunately, as soon as she becomes a non-issue, so did he.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

I never worked out why that sticker bothered to cover up Winner : Indianapolis with exactly the same thing.

I would say to ensure maximum coverage of the HCN beneath it, but they left Dallara/Chevrolet so who the hell knows.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Jesus Christ is 1992 the crashiest 500? I'm only on lap 75 and there's been like 6 cautions

It was cold as balls and neither Goodyear or Firestone would admit that their tires were borderline useless in near-freezing temperatures. These days Firestone probably might not have let them onto the track.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

In happier news, happy 80th birthday AJ!!

I'd say he drat near didn't make it this far, but let's face it, he shouldn't have made it to half his age.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like most times I've been in his vicinity I get the feeling he's more just painfully shy than an rear end in a top hat.

It's the wrong career for someone like that, but what else do you do when you're next in line from one of the most accomplished all-around drivers in history, and one of the most accomplished Indycar drivers in history?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My only fear there is that even given equal equipment, experience counts for a hell of a lot in racing. It seems like it'd be really hard to better identify the true up-and-comers if you end up with a lot of ICS drivers getting extra seat time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

:ohdear: cmon cmon

From what I've been hearing, even within AA they're keeping the aero kit on lockdown about on par with the Taj Mahal for the Beast. Must be loosening it up a bit if he's seen it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fan voting for points.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hate that out of all possible choices for commentators, we have Scott Sad Sack Goodyear. Uncle Bobby may be wrong about many things, including how many 500 wins he has, but he's better than Scotty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why's Charlie Murphy giving you the stinkeye?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

GUESS WHOS BACK

BACK AGAIN

BARHART'S BACK

TELL A FRIEND

Guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back
guess who's back
Guess who's back...

:fuckoff: :suicide:

Dear Indycar,

Signed, everyone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder which voices were louder in Will Power's head: the Wolf of Wall Street "WHY GOD WHY" screaming, or the massive sigh of relief that at least he got one championship in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I would have hired Arie. Because Arie loving owns.

poo poo, hire Arie Junior. Scotty Sad Sack. Paul Page. Uncle Bobby. King Hiro. I think literally anyone on the planet with a last name that is not "Eccelstone" or "France" would have been a better choice.

But... gret's right, nobody wants that loving job. You've got a bullseye on your forehead the moment you walk in the door and not just because of the Target money.

Edit: Little Al and a fifth of vodka would be better than Barnhart.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 28, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So that's what the marketing team is up to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alain Post posted:

remember when Indycar under Brian Barnhart banned defensive lines on road courses

To be fair that gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wHu6r28Ol4&t=50s

(yes, banning the defensive line is monumentally loving stupid)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

Wow this week has been a bigger poo poo show than all of 1996.

I'm out of words, images, and videos to respond to this with. What the gently caress, Indycar. What the gently caress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

say such things in hushed tones lest the inquisitors hear thee

Oh who cares, it's all loving doomed anyway. :eng99:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phoenix is an impossibility, it's too close to the NASCAR race and they'll freak out like they did over the never-happened CCWS street race.

Of course, NASCAR's definition of "too close" would probably be any month that isn't July or August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, plus the fact that Brazil was going to be using the old kits - so there was still some testing to be done for that race. I don't think the teams that have already invested into scheduling testing are going to cancel that just because of the last-second change.

And some things aren't going to change dramatically with the aero. Getting more time on the tires / shocks / mysterious additional suspension devices / differential setups is still valid, old kit or new.

• Locked thread