Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
My preferred method from my youth is:

1. Get the cheapest, toughest cut of beef you can find. If you can't find chuck roast, just ask your butcher for something big and cheap with a fair amount of fat and connective tissue.
2. Sear the outside on high heat. Season with a rub of salt, pepper, paprika, and a little dried parsley and thyme.
3. Fill the bottom of your dutch oven with about 10cm of flavorful liquid. I use a mixture of beef broth and cheap red wine. Add a few glugs of worcestershire sauce, if you have it.
4. Also toss into the bottom of the dutch oven a few roughly chopped onions, several smashed cloves of garlic, chopped carrots, chopped celery, a few bay leaves, and a few generous sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme.
5. Cook (covered!) at somewhere between 100-120C for about an hour per 1/2 kg of meat.

Growing up, we usually served over egg noodles, but as an adult prefer it over mashed potatoes (skin on, lots of garlic!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread