Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pot roast can be delicious. You are hopefully in for a treat. Yup, it's a wet method instead. Hence the name. You take a roast, but you put it in a pot. Pot. Roast.

I also use a Dutch oven for making mine. What KlavoHunter is referring to is not a pressure cooker though. A slow cooker is a specific appliance, also known by the brand name CrockPot.

1) Brown the outside of a big piece of chuck in the bottom of your dutch oven on the stovetop then turn off heat. (canola oil is my go to oil)
2) cut a bunch of celery and carrots into 1 inch pieces and onions into quarters.
3) put those on the bottom of the Dutch oven, then put the chuck roast on top of that.
4) put in 3 bay leaves, and about a tablespoon of dried thyme.
5) Poor in enough beef broth to come up about 1/3 of the way on the roast.
6) cook in the oven with the lid on at 225 for about 4 hours (or until the meat is very tender, but not actually falling apart/shredding)
7) Taste resulting liquid for seasoning

I usually just serve this with its broth straight over boiled potatoes, but you can also thicken the broth with some butter/flour mixture, or however you want really. If you want, you can also take the lid off about halfway through cooking, making sure to submerge the meat most of the way. This allows it to cook down the liquid a good bit, for a more concentrated broth.

Edit: Yes. The general questions thread would have been ideal for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, definitely F, not C! 110 C would probably be just about right. You want it to be a nice light simmer in the oven, not boiling.

I can definitely appreciate anyone's cooking "quirks" like you mention. I'm typically a fancy pants purist most of the time. For some reason though, pot roast doesn't fall under that for me. That's probably just American nostalgia though. Growing up eating cheap beef, boiled in cheap broth powder, undersalted, served over plain unpeeled boiled potatoes. It was objectively not good food, but man... When it's freezing outside, and you come in from playing out in the snow with your family, and immediately have your mom pour you a big ladle full over steaming potatoes... Unf. That's happiness.

I have made fancy versions of pot roast, with the best ingredients, with extensive technique used to make an objectively better product. It's great! But unnecessary. The crappy low effort version still makes me just as happy.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread