Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Baker posted:

Sounds pretty simple. Your using I guess what I would call a pressure cooker, a stand alone piece of equipment, I would be using a Dutch oven in a regular oven, what temperature would you use? I'm guessing about 100 degrees Celsius.
I was surprised to find you use water in the recipe, purely from my own misconceptions. When I hear roast I think dry heat. Also I think the basic method, what you would use every day is much better, I'm not looking for any fine dining here.

"Pot roast" is a term used by Americans to describe a large cheap cut of meat (often beef shoulder, beef rump, or pork shoulder) cooked at low heat with liquid and seasonings. The liquid is hopefully stock or broth with maybe some wine, but many Americans are bad at cooking so it's often simply water. Typically a slow cooker is used, which is a stand alone kitchen appliance that sits on the counter. An average pot roast dinner will be started in the slow cooker on the "low" setting when the cook goes to work and will cook for 8-10 hours, leaving a large and hot meal when the cook arrives home.

I don't think most ovens are reliable at the temperature range used on a slow cooker's "low" setting (90-100 Celsius), but the "high" setting tends to be around 100-125 Celsius. The ranges are due to different slow cookers working in different ways and having different temperatures.

Doom rooster's recipe is a good example of a pot roast done in the oven, but note that his recipe is in Fahrenheit and not Celsius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Anne Whateley posted:

Where have you ever heard pot roast used to mean pork?

It's probably a regional thing, but here in Wisconsin I've heard a lot of people call any big piece of pork, beef, or venison in a slow cooker a "pot roast". Often times if it's not beef the type of meat will also be stated, as in "venison pot roast".

• Locked thread