Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
In terms of technique, making a pot roast isn't fundamentally different from making braised lamb shanks. You are slow braising a tougher cut of meat with some liquid in a covered pot or dutch oven.

Chuck roast... can you even get a chuck roast in Europe? I don't know where you are in Europe, but chuck is often cut into flatiron steaks, or sold as stew meat. Chuck roasts aren't even common in Canada, for whatever reason.

If you want an everyday American version, you could also use Campbell's Minestrone as your sauce, LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Anyone try to make pot roast with shin? Beef shin is used a lot in Chinese cooking for things like 5 spice marinated beef. Its one of the best cuts for slow cooking, with lots of connective tissue.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

Sure, it's good and usually about half the price of a chuck roast where I live. I think it cooks faster than a big chunk of chuck so watch it so it doesn't get mushy. I leave the bones in and mix the marrow into the pan sauce when it's done. A super easy variant of pot roast I like is don't add any liquid but do add sliced onion, shallots, garlic, carrots, celery and a sliced tomato or two and wrap everything up in foil.
Lol, that's just a roast.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

"Oso buco"

Mom made pot roast with a pork shoulder or butt all the time
Osso Buco is a straight up stew, though. The pieces of meat, though bone in, are still kind of small.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Could OP give us a report on how his experiments in pot roast went?

• Locked thread