Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Call me insane, but my game and real-life sense tells me that a spiked fence is not something you should be able to or want to jump over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay, gently caress tetris puzzles. They were okay when there were only like 6 pieces, but the ones with 10+? Those are just tedious bullshit of trial and error.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Call me insane, but my game and real-life sense tells me that a spiked fence is not something you should be able to or want to jump over.
It looked like a garden fence to me, it's not like there were heads impaled on it.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Ahahah, I just watched my friend stumble into a secret dev area I completely missed when I played, it's kind of like the big head secrets from the Serious Sam games except funnier. :)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I couldn't help but notice that there are fewer stars in the levels than you need. By my count, I will be 4 short of enough to open the third bonus area. I know of one in the hub area, but I need at least one laser connector, and I haven't seen any.

I have now lost patience with Tetris puzzles with 9+ pieces and will just use the walkthroughs. There is only so much I can take, and the big ones are just not fun at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's probably okay if you're a robot.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I couldn't help but notice that there are fewer stars in the levels than you need. By my count, I will be 4 short of enough to open the third bonus area. I know of one in the hub area, but I need at least one laser connector, and I haven't seen any.

There are 2 stars outside of hub worlds. You will find them.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I really need to play this again and try to find some of the hidden things.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpvaW7_oeU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tecman posted:

I really need to play this again and try to find some of the hidden things.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpvaW7_oeU

I actually found that one myself. That one is located on the map B5, and your hint is this: "Behind the Iron Curtain".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Decided to pick this up on a whim (just before it went on sale :argh:) and I'm having so much fun with this game. Just completed "Woosh!" where you have to push yourself around with fans to get the tetris block. The best puzzle.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

A shame this game isn't getting more attention, even with the 50% off.

Getting a high amount of satisfaction from solving these puzzles and never left one with a frustrated feeling. I'm reaching the end of C-block now and so far the only thing that really should have been re-evaluated is the big tetris puzzles; they require no skill to complete just a very long chore of trial and error.

Can't say much about the story so far but the atmosphere is very well constructed. The messages from the other bots, the psychological debates with some mysterious computer entity, the questionable nature of Elohim and his world, the vaguely referenced end of the world... All very intriguing and a bit grimdark.

I haven't even delved into collecting the stars apart from some I got by accident (like 5 or so), which looks like some serious metagaming. Is the reward any satisfying?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mikojan posted:

I haven't even delved into collecting the stars apart from some I got by accident (like 5 or so), which looks like some serious metagaming. Is the reward any satisfying?

Do you want me to tell you?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I guess I don't really :)

Even if the reward at the end is a bit underwhelming I feel like collecting some of the very obscure ones will satisfy me enough!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I would like to know, if you want to Spoiler tag it for the other dude. I was assuming they're just used to unlock Challenge puzzles or something. I just got to world B, I didn't even realize there were multiple Letter rooms- I thought it was just that main chamber with 7 rooms :fap:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
OK then. Spoilers for the stars:

Stars unlock newer puzzle areas which give you gray tetris pieces. I won't say what these are for.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Okay, gently caress tetris puzzles. They were okay when there were only like 6 pieces, but the ones with 10+? Those are just tedious bullshit of trial and error.

FWIW, I had a huge problem with these until I realized the vast majority of the solutions are symmetrical or at least pretty close to it.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Mikojan posted:

A shame this game isn't getting more attention, even with the 50% off.

For what it's worth, I saw it was on sale and tried the demo. It seemed ok, but the Tetris puzzles were the hardest part and seemed completely needless. Then I looked here and saw posts about mines and enemies and dodgy checkpointing, so I didn't bother.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Prenton posted:

For what it's worth, I saw it was on sale and tried the demo. It seemed ok, but the Tetris puzzles were the hardest part and seemed completely needless. Then I looked here and saw posts about mines and enemies and dodgy checkpointing, so I didn't bother.

I never had a problem with checkpoints, and saying the game doesn't explain mechanics is a weird objection because part of the whole point of the game is that you figure out basically everything all by yourself with no tutorials or handholding. It's a game that it almost all about eureka moments and finding novel interactions between things, and if you get stuck on a puzzle you can always just leave and come back later once you've figured out whatever it is.

Very minor stuff like using a laser gem tripod thing to hold down a switch instead of a box is the crux of early puzzles and it's really satisfying when you figure it out -- why should putting a box on top of a mine be any different?

I guess now that I think of it some of the later puzzles had a few mines too many but getting blown up never loses you more than... like a minute or two of progress, and the execution demands are never bad at all. Most of the time you just get blown up by a mine because you were impatient and trying to rush through things to try a different solution.

This is an amazing game through and through.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 7, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I disagree. There are plenty of gate/key / mine puzzles, and I wasn't ever sure if I was doing something right or not, when it turns out it was just execution failure about dashing through things in the right order.

If I get it wrong, I have to start from scratch and get the key all over again. It made exploration of the mechanics tedious. I'm not encouraged to play around with the game's mechanics because if I play around wrong, the penalty is huge.

There's some puzzle where I'm supposed to be taught that I can place cubes on top of mines. The same mines that I cannot even jump over because they home in on me in the air as well. I didn't even attempt that because I was taught all throughout that you cannot touch mines. The solution didn't feel like an epiphany -- it felt like I had been cheating out of thinking.

There's one optional puzzle very late-game where the entire thing is just trying to get the mine navigation perfect. It was not fun. It was even called "Nerve-Wrecker" to tell you exactly how you should feel about it.

The same is true for a few of the laser grid navigation things -- I had to find the exact perfect pixel to figure out how to make everything line up. I rarely knew if it was just me not having the right pixel, or if it was me something missing greater. There were examples where it was simply me not getting the right pixel, and examples where it was me missing something greater, and the two didn't really feel different. That's a problem.

My philosophy on puzzle games is that they should be solved in the head (execution should be minimal -- Portal had an excellent balance of this), the solution should be immediately obvious (no pixel hunting), mechanics can be explored without tremendous penalty (Portal's turrets were excellent at being an extreme non-threat once you figured them out), and that the high point of a puzzle isn't the solution, it's the enlightenment of learning and solving.

The Talos Principle had some great mechanics and a lot of potential, with plenty of fun and excellent puzzles, and I'd highly recommend you pick it up and play it, but it was wildly inconsistent with puzzle quality.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I guess I'm just having a hard time thinking of any puzzles besides the one optional late-game one you mention that involved a ton of dashing through mines. I might be rose-tinting already because I went through this a few months ago, but getting blown up was never really a frustration. The only thing I got annoyed by was was getting one step wrong in a more complex puzzle and having to reset to do it again -- stuff like in a recording puzzle having an 'oh I picked up this box instead of that tripod and now that door shut and I have to do everything over' -- but I never felt impeded by the mines, and I'm not sure how they discouraged experimentation. There's no death penalty at all, and the sprint speed is fast enough that once you have the first part of a puzzle down you can usually re-do it in a matter of a couple seconds.

On having lasers be pixel perfect, the UI did a great job of telling me that. If it can connect to X or Y object, they'll be lit up or dimmed before you even put the thing down. Some of the later ones that have lasers dependent on other ones that are also holding doors open could be a little more fiddly than I'd like, but I can't think of a case where I couldn't think through it.

quote:

My philosophy on puzzle games is that they should be solved in the head (execution should be minimal -- Portal had an excellent balance of this), the solution should be immediately obvious (no pixel hunting), mechanics can be explored without tremendous penalty (Portal's turrets were excellent at being an extreme non-threat once you figured them out), and that the high point of a puzzle isn't the solution, it's the enlightenment of learning and solving.

See, to me the Talos Principle had this in spades but Portal was much more execution-heavy and got bogged down in getting perfect angles and lining things up exactly right that I thought should have worked. To each their own, I guess. :shrug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Jammed from Within in the same world had an awkward puzzle where I had to juggle mines between two different gates, with a lot of waiting. Egyptian Arcade was another puzzle that had mine juggling and tricky timing.

As for tricky laser-ing, it was either Window Through a Door or The Right Angle which made me place a laser connector basically on top of a tree prop to solve it. I'm at work right now -- I'll check when I get home. I remember fiddling with it with a long time -- thinking they were blocking me off just enough of having that connector available, before I finally figured out I could solve it with pixel angling.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The only time any of my solutions felt off was when I was going for the secrets and that was how it was intended to be done.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, I just have to solve the puzzle on Tower level 5. This one looks like a huge pain with precision timing. I hate replay puzzles.

EDIT: Okay, I'm through. Got all three endings. Good game.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 8, 2015

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Looks like I'm hopelessly stuck on Dead Man's Switch.

Spent at least an hour in there not even able to find out the first step. I love these puzzles in tiny areas where the problem is eazy to frame but very difficult to actually solve.

Guess I'll be taking a drawing to work tomorrow trying to figure this one out :D

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mikojan posted:

Looks like I'm hopelessly stuck on Dead Man's Switch.

Spent at least an hour in there not even able to find out the first step. I love these puzzles in tiny areas where the problem is eazy to frame but very difficult to actually solve.

Guess I'll be taking a drawing to work tomorrow trying to figure this one out :D

There were a lot of puzzles in this game which I started typing out a post saying "Guys, I'm on puzzle X and my problem is..." and about then something would click in my brain and I'd think "what if I tried THAT"?

Dead Man's Switch took me a while as well. If you want a hint, here's one to get you started: You only need the switch held down for a second.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's also another one where I had to pixel hunt a ton. Getting the angle on that with the window was annoying.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going through it right now. Not really keen on how there's only one solution for each puzzle. Portal 2 did the same thing, which was frustrating as well. I prefer games where the game gives you tools and lets you figure out things your own way instead of finding out how to read the developer's mind when they were developing a puzzle. The puzzles with the lasers are the worst in that regard; there's so much pixel hunting and obscure but required ways to move the lasers emitter things around that it makes me avoid them as much as possible.

Another issue I have is with the puzzles where you have to place crates on mines in order to progress. There are zero hints you can do this the first time you see it, and it comes up so little you've pretty much completley forgotten about the mechanic by the time you reach another puzzle that requires it.

I wouldn't be pleased if I got this for full price, but for 50% off it's a good deal. I mostly bought it to help support Croteam since they're one of my fav devs ever, but I found it's a good game.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This is a really great game

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tetris is basic spatial reasoning. I don't have any other reason to link this but related to elohim and the sigils https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0

Anyway, I'm finding the game a bit smug. but at least somebody made it I guess. I like puzzles and I like a bit of philosophical wankery and robots and AI. A good game, can't fault the puzzle design, they've all been really excellent so far (at C).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Remember to release your pets :smith:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

There were a lot of puzzles in this game which I started typing out a post saying "Guys, I'm on puzzle X and my problem is..." and about then something would click in my brain and I'd think "what if I tried THAT"?

Dead Man's Switch took me a while as well. If you want a hint, here's one to get you started: You only need the switch held down for a second.

I took at a look at the drawing at work and figured a solution out in a few moments. Some of these problems just require you to have a better overall view of the situation I guess.
I was actually kind of dissapointed about how simple the solution was :D

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Right Angle

The Right Angle was genius. Either you line tripods and zappers up exactly right so that you can pass through the door, or you find the actual right angle. From this angle you can keep the door open permanently.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Really liked this game. I hope Croteam makes something in a similar vein. I'm going to play it again with the Serious Sam pack.

Ending discussion: Philosophically speaking I think the 'best ending' is the one where you become a helpful messenger. The story is about 'humanity' and civilisation as a process of building on those that came before, celebrating the work of those who went to their deaths never seeing the fruits of their labour - perhaps not even knowing such a thing would come. I think the truest test of a person's character, rather than their willingness to defy a God through curiosity, should be their willingness to make this exact kind of sacrifice. That's the final test, rather than mere independence, but the ability to have this freedom and still choose the imperfect solution for yourself. Which is kind of the thing Buddha did. I think this is why it's the hardest ending to actually get. IMO this ending should be the one where you actually get to wake up in a body, having proved this. But whatever.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

Really liked this game. I hope Croteam makes something in a similar vein.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/626329186922550032/#c626329186975480043

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I dunno exactly what happened, but the puzzles this game got a lot better all of the sudden. It felt like I was struggling before, but now I seem to have a pretty decent grasp on the mechanics. I still look for help, but that's more because I need that little boost to finish off the puzzle instead of figuring out the puzzle. The puzzles feel way better than Portal 1 and 2's.

The game is loving gorgeous. I have no idea how Croteam does it, but they really made this game look fantastic. I love just walking around the first and second hubs and seeing how everything looks.

The plot is surprisingly good I found you don't really need to read most of the terminal notes to figure it out; read the first few notes to get background info on the simulator, then read what Milton says and the messages left on the way. I feel the biggest problem is Milton himself; there's several instances where I did things, like input the password that would free you from the simulator, for reasons the game does not let you respond with. After a few convos with him, I found it easier to either agree with or troll him instead of actually trying to have "debates" with him.

gently caress the recorder and crisscross puzzles, though. Those get the video walkthrough treatment as soon as I start.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I feel like you don't always get decent enough arguments against Milton's bullshit. There's one part where he tries to argue that consciousness is a violation of the laws of physics, because if you're happy and you jump for joy, your happiness is creating the energy necessary to jump.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

You cannot 'beat' Milton because Milton is technically correct but only from an extremely foolish point of view that they cannot give up because it is 'logical'. Instead of viewing the conversations as an attempt to prove yourself to them or make a convincing argument, view them as a chance to study his behaviour. The idea that you're actually having a debate is a trick.

Milton is a functionally accurate simulation of having a debate with an Internet Atheist, or a hard solipsist/nihilist, in a textual medium.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I sort of like that Milton is effectively a human pretending to be a computer pretending to be a human pretending to be a computer pretending to be a human.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

He pretends to be a computer for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Finished it! Had to use a guide for the very last tetris puzzle because I was losing my patience.

Got chills during the ending sequence. Great game, highly recommending it.

Now for the final ending, this will take me some time I guess. I completed the base game in about 15 hours. How long would you recon it would take me to get all stars?

• Locked thread