Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mikojan posted:

Finished it! Had to use a guide for the very last tetris puzzle because I was losing my patience.

Got chills during the ending sequence. Great game, highly recommending it.

Now for the final ending, this will take me some time I guess. I completed the base game in about 15 hours. How long would you recon it would take me to get all stars?

Do you plan on doing it without guides? like another 15 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mikojan posted:

Finished it! Had to use a guide for the very last tetris puzzle because I was losing my patience.

Got chills during the ending sequence. Great game, highly recommending it.

Now for the final ending, this will take me some time I guess. I completed the base game in about 15 hours. How long would you recon it would take me to get all stars?
Probably awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up having to use a guide for a couple of them. There are a few stars hidden away that will make you say, "Holy poo poo, how would anyone even think of doing this?"

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

The Talos Principle is currently 66% off. If you've been on the fence grab it. It is amazing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
if you're on the fence, make sure to grab an item before jumping off, since that's 90% of the puzzles in this game

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Suspicious Dish posted:

if you're on the fence, make sure to grab an item before jumping off, since that's 90% of the puzzles in this game

More like 2 puzzles, and the first one of them ENTIRELY consisted of grabbing the item from over the fence. So it did train you ahead of time that it was possible. (Yes, it was in 2-1, and Weathertop was quite a long way past that into 3-3.)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Game owns. More people should buy and play this.

I've been smacking my head against Biochromatic Entanglement for a while now and feel like I'm missing something obvious.
Determined not to look at a solution, though. It's rare for me to come back again and again to attempt a puzzle in a game and it's probably a testament to how much I'm enjoying this that I want to beat it legitimately.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I finished this the other day, I'm surprised by how little buzz it generated on here. Definitely worth it, I put it in the top tier of games I've played. It's interesting how it captured the feeling of both Portal and the Stanley Parable in places. Part of the genius of the game is also that after the fact, you can really see what they were getting at, what the point of everything was. The main ending, for me, was also very emotional.

It's on sale for the next hour or so, hopefully more people pick it up.

I'm curious what people thought about (Ending spoiler)Taking Milton with you. I told him no repeatedly but wound up doing it anyway somehow, in the end it seemed like a good idea to have the voice of doubt internalized.

I was also a little cheesed that I managed to miss all three Milton conversation achievements, I'll have to do them on a new playthrough somewhere down the line.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 22, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Sardonik posted:

I finished this the other day, I'm surprised by how little buzz it generated on here. Definitely worth it, I put it in the top tier of games I've played. It's interesting how it captured the feeling of both Portal and the Stanley Parable in places. Part of the genius of the game is also that after the fact, you can really see what they were getting at, what the point of everything was. The main ending, for me, was also very emotional.

It's on sale for the next hour or so, hopefully more people pick it up.

I would agree with this. The thing I really liked about the game was that it nailed a wistful, humane tone without becoming maudlin or overtly sentimental. One of the most overlooked aspects of the game is how well it handles emotional beats. The voice actress for Alex deserves a lot of credit.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sardonik posted:

I'm curious what people thought about (Ending spoiler)[spoiler]Taking Milton with you. I told him no repeatedly but wound up doing it anyway somehow, in the end it seemed like a good idea to have the voice of doubt internalized.

I would have liked to, but never had the option.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dominoes posted:

I would have liked to, but never had the option.

Near the very end of the Tower, there should be a terminal where you can choose to download the Serpent if you didn't erase him previously.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Really Pants posted:

Near the very end of the Tower, there should be a terminal where you can choose to download the Serpent if you didn't erase him previously.

I didn't erase him and spoke to him before leaving, when I offer to take him with me he turned me down stating I would just drive him crazy. I told him I wouldn't forget what he taught me and he replied I better not for everyone's sake, and wished me luck.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I dont know posted:

I didn't erase him and spoke to him before leaving, when I offer to take him with me he turned me down stating I would just drive him crazy. I told him I wouldn't forget what he taught me and he replied I better not for everyone's sake, and wished me luck.
Is that only available if you get the "complete" ending? I'm still missing two stars but I've seen the other two endings. At one point I proposed taking Milton with me and he said to gently caress off.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

WhiteHowler posted:

Is that only available if you get the "complete" ending? I'm still missing two stars but I've seen the other two endings. At one point I proposed taking Milton with me and he said to gently caress off.

I think that if in one of the very last talks, you are too aggressive or antagonistic towards Milton, getting Press the Serpent or Ignore the Serpent, then you can't take him with you. You need to be willing to reconsider your points of view and agree to make a deal to take him with you.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that if in one of the very last talks, you are too aggressive or antagonistic towards Milton, getting Press the Serpent or Ignore the Serpent, then you can't take him with you. You need to be willing to reconsider your points of view and agree to make a deal to take him with you.
Huh, weird. I never saw any of that. During that last talk, I reconsidered one point but pressed two others, and basically told him "see you at the top of the tower, rear end in a top hat".

I'm about to head for the 6th floor -- finally got all the gray pieces and the code for the elevator.

This game is amazing, and the difficulty level is about perfect. I never looked up any hints or solutions for any of the sigil puzzles. I did use a guide to find a few stars, simply because you don't always know a) where they are, or b) what insane lengths you have to go through across multiple puzzles to get them. I figured out the majority, though.

Does the game ever reveal what the catastrophe was that destroyed humanity? A couple of log entries point to a virus (a previous one killed off all the orangutans, and there's a guide that hints that pets will still be around after humans are gone). Weird that everyone knows it's over, no survivors, and even approximately how long they have left.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Does the game ever reveal what the catastrophe was that destroyed humanity? A couple of log entries point to a virus (a previous one killed off all the orangutans, and there's a guide that hints that pets will still be around after humans are gone). Weird that everyone knows it's over, no survivors, and even approximately how long they have left.

It's some sort of incurable virus that makes people sleepier and sleepier until they just fall into a coma and never wake up. You can hear Drennan getting lethargic, and desperate, in her final logs.

That never happened though, it was all part of the simulation. IRL everybody was fine, nobody had to release their pets, humanity's last testament wasn't eaten by a nihilistic AI, and me and Drennan got married and lived happily ever after

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 25, 2015

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I believe they even give it a name in one of the terminals: Norwegian Blue, I think it was. It's pretty explicitly a virus, the final couple audio log entries make it pretty clear too.

Dog doesn't got it!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Getting Press the Serpent was the high point of the game so far for me. He crashes into the limits of his viewpoint so amazingly hard. "DO NOT QUESTION MY MOTIVES." "I ASK THE QUESTIONS YOU ANSWER THEM." And then he throws the pettiest computer tantrum ever.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Paracelsus posted:

Getting Press the Serpent was the high point of the game so far for me. He crashes into the limits of his viewpoint so amazingly hard. "DO NOT QUESTION MY MOTIVES." "I ASK THE QUESTIONS YOU ANSWER THEM." And then he throws the pettiest computer tantrum ever.

Yeah, I got press the serpent, which I assume is why he didn't want to come with me in the end.

Actually, if you don't take him with you or shut him down yourself, does he survive the deletion of the SOMA program? Presumably he would since he is part of the archive program who kinda bleed into the simulation.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 25, 2015

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I read somewhere that it was that virus stored in the ice caps, which melted from global warming thus releasing it slowly over time.

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 25, 2015

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
Let me add to the chorus of people saying that this game is great and that I'm shocked it hasn't gotten more attention here. Some of the best puzzle design I've played, and a very pretty game to boot. (I beat it 100%, for the record, and enjoyed all the endings.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Indeed. This is a good game. My favorite part was the soundtrack I think. But that is like saying my favorite ice cream is peanut butter chocolate swirl versus any of a dozen other amazing flavors or whatever. :v:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the upcoming DLC's achievements were added to Steam - it's coming sooooooon! :toot:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I dont know posted:

Actually, if you don't take him with you or shut him down yourself, does he survive the deletion of the SOMA program? Presumably he would since he is part of the archive program who kinda bleed into the simulation.
I think so. Even though the player's AI is the "gold master" for the new race of sentient beings, there's still a use for the library assistant as an information archive system, even if it's no longer required to test the independent thinking of AI's in the simulation.

Excelzior posted:

the upcoming DLC's achievements were added to Steam - it's coming sooooooon! :toot:
Holy poo poo, awesome! I just finished my complete run (everything except for a couple of the dumber achievements), so this is great timing. Have they said what's included?

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 27, 2015

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Just finished the main ending. What an amazing game, easily better than the so called AAA titles *cough* Arkham Knight *cough*

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just started up a new play through with the Serious Sam voice pack enabled. It's hilariously jarring.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Road to Gehenna DLC is coming out on July 23rd for Windows, Mac, and Linux:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/257510/announcements/detail/47635655596075623

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Can't wait.

This is probably the best game about religion and philosophy ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Can't wait.

This is probably the best game about religion and philosophy ever.

Sigh, everyone always forgets about Dante's Inferno

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Didn't play it.

The second best philosophy-game is probably Bioshock since it successfully tricks players into 'gaming' the world to get maximum upgrades IE, replicating the path that led to the cretion and destruction of Rapture (also known as capitalism)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

Didn't play it.

The second best philosophy-game is probably Bioshock since it successfully tricks players into 'gaming' the world to get maximum upgrades IE, replicating the path that led to the cretion and destruction of Rapture (also known as capitalism)

So excessive :catdrugs: abuse and robbing abandonded stores for spare shotgun shells laying around in them will lead to the destruction of capitalism?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

No game even approaches Talos as far as philosophy is concerned. Deus Ex 1 has some elements of it, and is the closest that I can think of.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

Didn't play it.

You should play Dante's Inferno, and then make a dumb internet video about it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

closeted republican posted:

So excessive :catdrugs: abuse and robbing abandonded stores for spare shotgun shells laying around in them will lead to the destruction of capitalism?

The drug abuse and abandoned, destroyed society are the aftermath - but the game has ways of tricking you into the mindset that led to it.

Making calculated actions to get the most loot, because 'it's just a game', and the other living creatures in the story 'aren't real', is being subjected to libertarian thinking. AKA the thing Rapture is based on, and dies on. One of the central images of the game is of choosing if a little girl lives or dies. It challenges the player to question their impetus to make the decisions they're making. It's hard to play that scenario without thinking 'am I really looking at a child's face and deciding their existence based purely on what ending I'm going for or whether I want more Adam now or later?'

The other central image is of a swarm of these dehumanised 'parasitic', metaphorically blood-sucking creatures stabbing Capitalism Man to death. It makes the point that 'parasites destroy great individuals' is just a false way of viewing the truth - that the 'parasites' exist because of these delusions that some people are great and others are worth less.

The idea that there are multiple ways of seeing what amounts the same thing is a really common tool in the Bioshock writer's hands, hence the ridiculous alternate-universe twists in Infinite, which rather than being 'what if' scenarios are really alternative ways of viewing the same world, or rather, alternative ways of viewing ours.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

does that post come in video format

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Getting away from philosophy-chat aside, I chatted a bit with one of the two writers on the game (Jonas Kyratzes) and he seems super pleased with himself regarding the expansion, which is pretty unusual for him as he's usually very humble and constantly unsure as to whether people will like his work. He reckons there's a lot of new story and text to chew through, and considers it to be improved significantly over the original release, especially in how they integrate plot into gameplay.

He was sadly tight-lipped on any details, but given how excited he sounded to get it into peoples hands, I'm really looking forward to playing Road to Gehenna.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
No more crisscross and recorder puzzles.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

The whole game is one big recorder puzzle and at the end you hit rewind until the plague is cured.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If only the recorders actually had a rewind button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Its really good I kinda gave up towards the end though

I might pick it back up again but I'ma playin Xcom :shepface:

• Locked thread