Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

closeted republican posted:

No more crisscross and recorder puzzles.

every single puzzle must involve a recorder and no fewer than 3 jammers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hbomberguy posted:

The whole game is one big recorder puzzle and at the end you hit rewind until the plague is cured.

The plague is a metaphor for the development of the atomic bomb.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I thought the recorder puzzles were all the easiest, wierd.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I really liked the simple jammer / mine puzzles. Something about double-jamming just felt satisfying.

I had to look up how to use the platform from a guide because it wasn't obvious enough to me how it fit together with the recorder. Recorder puzzles also had a lot of "wait around for a long rear end time" -- a fast-forward button or rewind button would both be greatly appreciated.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Shift or control, I think, speed up time.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hbomberguy posted:

Shift or control, I think, speed up time.

Seriously? Knowing that would have made them far less tedious.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I thought the recorder puzzles were all the easiest, weird.

oh I generally agree

the exception for me was recorder+connectors

so Crisscross Conundrum Advanced was a total nightmare that broke my brain

Unreachable Garden took a few minutes to click as well

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm honestly not sure if I want more or less puzzles in the same vein as Dumb Dumb Mine :shepface:.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'm conflicted. I didn't know this thread existed, despite searching for it, so I went ahead and created one of my own to bring some attention to the upcoming expansion. Perhaps something can be salvaged for the current OP?

Also, Gehenna is coming out today! Woo!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

I'm conflicted. I didn't know this thread existed, despite searching for it, so I went ahead and created one of my own to bring some attention to the upcoming expansion. Perhaps something can be salvaged for the current OP?

Also, Gehenna is coming out today! Woo!

It's out now!

Early thoughts:
These star puzzles are brutal.
Whoever wrote the Terminal text was having great fun.
No magic tetris puzzles, 0/10.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I loaded it up for just a few minutes this morning and went to the main hub world. It looks like there are only about 17 puzzles and a bunch of new stars to get?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Whoever wrote the Terminal text was having great fun.

Yeah I am laughing my rear end off at (early thread)the adventures of Jefferson Goldboom in Humanworld.

Jefferson adjusted his guitar, as he often did when deep in thought.

The art gallery is nice too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sardonik posted:

Yeah I am laughing my rear end off at (early thread)the adventures of Jefferson Goldboom in Humanworld.

Jefferson adjusted his guitar, as he often did when deep in thought.

The art gallery is nice too.

I'm not sure I like where it's going with the terminal message. One of the later ones is pretty much GO OUTSIDE NERD. Admittedly, this being SA, we've all made that joke, but it seems genuinely nasty when you put it alongside the earlier bits about communities and the joy of simple acts of creation. Even if those creations are a lot of tripe.

WhiteHowler posted:

I loaded it up for just a few minutes this morning and went to the main hub world. It looks like there are only about 17 puzzles and a bunch of new stars to get?

It opens up a bit, looks like there's 4 worlds not 3.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Strom Cuzewon posted:

No magic tetris puzzles, 0/10.

Not true, there is one

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GotLag posted:

Not true, there is one

gameDLC Of The Year!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've finished the game, and I've got to say while some of the puzzles were hard they were much more satisfying than the base game, because a) recorder puzzles were kept to a minimum and b) no timed mine-dodging. gently caress Egyptian Arcade and Nerve-Wrecker forever. The only puzzle that really annoyed me was getting the second star in Crater. Finicky placement of connectors, and it took half a minute or more to set everything up again if it wasn't quite right.
The star puzzles have a strong recurring theme in Gehenna: deactivating one beam by intersecting it with another
I wonder why the original puzzles never made use of that mechanic.

Edit: also I was mistaken, there are two tetromino puzzles.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I'm not sure what I was expecting from the DLC, but a bunch of bots stuck in prisons, making their existence bearable by running their own Reddit-like forums with up-votes and cliques and honest-to-god ASCII art galleries, posting pretty entertaining text adventures and absolutely hilarious misunderstandings of the human world sure as hell wasn't on the list. Loving the poo poo out of it, though. :v:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Is there supposed to be a number of glitched out textures in the main hub for the DLC? This is what my game looks like when I get into the main world

For what it's for the rest of the game looks fine but I got the same black textures everywhere the first time I went into World 1. Honestly can't tell if it's part of the aesthetic or if something in my download or GPU got corrupted.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's not part of the aesthetic. Upgrade your drivers, verify game files, reinstall DirectX, yadda yadda.

I'm loving the writing and bad forums posting, not too hot on the puzzles so far in World 1, especially that recorder one.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Gehenna does feel slightly less well tested than the base game; I've been getting a lot more slowdown and (unintended) visual glitches than I did before.

I'm at five stars left; these seem much harder than I remember the main game's being. Is it worth transcending before collecting them all? Are the endings different, or just the same thing with more scenes?

Also, nice to see that they're keeping up the rate of easter eggs. So far I've found:
  • World 1: Leprechaun statue and Riverdance.
  • World 1: Parent and child dragon statue.
  • World 4: The_Blacksmith's lost work.
...but I'm sure there are loads more.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
did you find the messages in a bottle on world 3, and the secret floppy disk on world 2? those are the only ones i've found so far

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

did you find the messages in a bottle on world 3

I did now. Also, another world 4 easter egg: A set of QR codes referencing Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Which I guess is on-theme for the game?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
did you find the other message in a bottle. i just discovered that there's two trails.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think they let you proceed without all the stars just because they're so much harder than the base game.

If they really wanted to bend people's minds they should make a variant of the recorder, which plays the recording in reverse.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just got this yesterday during the weekend sale, and it reminds me of 90's first person click to move adventure games even though it's not really like them at all. Wandering around a strange world with random architecture is where I get the idea of 90's adventure games. I'm having fun with it, and it will certainly take me a long time to finish the main game.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I am extremely digging the writing and tone of Road to Gehenna. Playing some cool text adventure is way more fun than arguing with some rear end in a top hat AI. The puzzles are pretty rad so far too!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I blasted through the DLC this weekend and now I'm regretting it because there's no more Talos Principle to play :(

definitely my favorite puzzle game of the last decade

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I don't have much of the DLC left to go. I'm really digging the story, even though it's a much different tone from the original.

I hated the stars in the base game because they were so hard to locate. I don't want to scour the entire world trying to find bonus items; I want to solve puzzles! Gehenna handles this much better -- the stars are easy to find, but hard to get.

The stars in Crater, however, can eat poo poo. There's a point where if you screw up (by dropping the box outside the transmitter areas) you have to reset the puzzle -- and then solve the entire (very long) puzzle again to make another attempt at the stars. gently caress that. Fortunately you don't need them all to open up the star world.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the lack of a partial button if you mess up is really annoying. Also, recorder puzzles still suck. I metagame'd the recorder puzzle with the star by stealing items from out of bounds, which seems to actually be the intended solution, but I'm quite sure you can recorder it up. Thankfully there were only a few of them. I still blasted through the DLC regardless and only had to look up one solution for an extremely silly star.

Was there supposed to be more of an ending if I save Admin? I got the same fade to black which was disappointing.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I accidentally glitched a cube out of a puzzle in the third world which allowed me to get three stars without actually solving the puzzles associated with them. Good poo poo. The only one I looked up was the one in the center of the crater, cause seriously, gently caress that one.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

WhiteHowler posted:

The stars in Crater, however, can eat poo poo. There's a point where if you screw up (by dropping the box outside the transmitter areas) you have to reset the puzzle -- and then solve the entire (very long) puzzle again to make another attempt at the stars. gently caress that. Fortunately you don't need them all to open up the star world.

Agreed on that star being the biggest pain in the rear end in the game. At least there's an exploit that makes setting up again easier:
On the side with the robot prison/terminal, there's a fan leading out of the level. standing near the pillars around that fan, you can directly jam the blue+red gates leading to the detachable fans and the first star

Edit: Hahaha, in World 3 it's possible to kill a prisoner:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/541907675759252649/

Edit 2: drat this some out-of-the-hexahedron thinking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ZyFNS5qek

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 4, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Agreed on that star being the biggest pain in the rear end in the game. At least there's an exploit that makes setting up again easier:
On the side with the robot prison/terminal, there's a fan leading out of the level. standing near the pillars around that fan, you can directly jam the blue+red gates leading to the detachable fans and the first star

Edit: Hahaha, in World 3 it's possible to kill a prisoner:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/541907675759252649/

Edit 2: drat this some out-of-the-hexahedron thinking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ZyFNS5qek

i swear the run speed is never that fast when i play this game, and i have it set to the highest and am holding shift. getting the star in open field was ridiculous because every single time i realized i did the puzzle wrong i had to reset and walk around for a long rear end time.

i didn't really have any trouble with the star in crater after i realized what i should do -- maybe i solved it wrong? the game got really glitched and kept telling me to Hold X To Reset as if i got stuck but i got the star just fine.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The expansion puzzles in general all seem to have a lot more moving parts. It's like the number of steps required to complete them is five times more than a typical base game puzzle (and, frustratingly, so is the number of steps required to re-do after resetting the puzzle to get a star or something).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, the lack of a partial button if you mess up is really annoying. Also, recorder puzzles still suck. I metagame'd the recorder puzzle with the star by stealing items from out of bounds, which seems to actually be the intended solution, but I'm quite sure you can recorder it up. Thankfully there were only a few of them. I still blasted through the DLC regardless and only had to look up one solution for an extremely silly star.

Was there supposed to be more of an ending if I save Admin? I got the same fade to black which was disappointing.

If you mean the star on the recorder puzzle in the first world it is possible using only the items in the puzzle, though long and tediuous as recorder puzzles typically are.

Regarding the world three easter egg I found the 2 bottles and the place where the second bottle indicated. There was a robot with a screen for a head displaying a face. Is there something more you can do with this? Also anyone know who the face is?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Did you find the secret stairs into the recorder puzzle from Open Field? You can autojump, so I'm quite sure it's intentional although getting the hexahedron actually inside the puzzle area took a bunch of physicsing to get the engine to behave.

As for the World 3 easter egg, there's a second bottle trail that you can find. That one's a lot more tricky. The first guy is just one of the developers admiring the view.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah. Did you find the secret stairs into the recorder puzzle from Open Field? You can autojump, so I'm quite sure it's intentional although getting the hexahedron actually inside the puzzle area took a bunch of physicsing to get the engine to behave.

As for the World 3 easter egg, there's a second bottle trail that you can find. That one's a lot more tricky. The first guy is just one of the developers admiring the view.

No, I didn't find the secret stairs unless you mean going in over the wall from the area with the dragon statue. I got the recorder star using only elements in the puzzle, but it took a lot of cycles of using the recorder to set up the next step to do.

edit: Went back and found the secret stairs. They clearly were placed deliberately, so I don't know what the intended solution for the recorder puzzle is supposed to be. Using them I was also able to get a box into that puzzle and then the hub areas and finally got the star that was above "Thru a Window".

I dont know fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 4, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
As far as I can tell, the intended way is "any way you can". Road to Gehenna has much more flexibility built in the original Talos levels did, for example you only need 10 stars of the 16 available.

If you want to get equipment into the World 1 hub area, the best way is via the Open Field entrance stairs. Work your way up from the landing on the staircase with a cube hexahedron.

Wait, what the gently caress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-yB0wOljeU

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 5, 2015

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I don't know what is funnier to me. That someone actually figured out how to pull this off, or that the creators apparently intended for you to be able to do that, as evidenced by the easter egg of the computer headed man he saw up there.

Finally finished this game (not the DLC). It started to drag on a little bit towards the end, especially because I was going for all the stars at the same time. I definitely felt it was at it's most brilliant in the early game, and there is clearly more attention paid to the world A and B areas than the world C ones. That being said the game was amazing, definitely the best puzzler I have played in years.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
As I understand it, a beta tester did it and the devs were sufficiently impressed to add the easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Just finished the DLC, pretty enjoyable, though going back to do all the stars is something I think I'm going to resort to a guide for. All the puzzles seemed good overall but anything with precise timing was annoying. I really love the writing in this game overall though, and it's probably my favorite puzzle game since Portal.

About the ending: I guess it's supposed to be ambiguous? I'm figuring I might see more if I go through the effort to rescue Admin before transcending

• Locked thread