Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, gently caress tetris puzzles. They were okay when there were only like 6 pieces, but the ones with 10+? Those are just tedious bullshit of trial and error.

FWIW, I had a huge problem with these until I realized the vast majority of the solutions are symmetrical or at least pretty close to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Prenton posted:

For what it's worth, I saw it was on sale and tried the demo. It seemed ok, but the Tetris puzzles were the hardest part and seemed completely needless. Then I looked here and saw posts about mines and enemies and dodgy checkpointing, so I didn't bother.

I never had a problem with checkpoints, and saying the game doesn't explain mechanics is a weird objection because part of the whole point of the game is that you figure out basically everything all by yourself with no tutorials or handholding. It's a game that it almost all about eureka moments and finding novel interactions between things, and if you get stuck on a puzzle you can always just leave and come back later once you've figured out whatever it is.

Very minor stuff like using a laser gem tripod thing to hold down a switch instead of a box is the crux of early puzzles and it's really satisfying when you figure it out -- why should putting a box on top of a mine be any different?

I guess now that I think of it some of the later puzzles had a few mines too many but getting blown up never loses you more than... like a minute or two of progress, and the execution demands are never bad at all. Most of the time you just get blown up by a mine because you were impatient and trying to rush through things to try a different solution.

This is an amazing game through and through.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 7, 2015

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I guess I'm just having a hard time thinking of any puzzles besides the one optional late-game one you mention that involved a ton of dashing through mines. I might be rose-tinting already because I went through this a few months ago, but getting blown up was never really a frustration. The only thing I got annoyed by was was getting one step wrong in a more complex puzzle and having to reset to do it again -- stuff like in a recording puzzle having an 'oh I picked up this box instead of that tripod and now that door shut and I have to do everything over' -- but I never felt impeded by the mines, and I'm not sure how they discouraged experimentation. There's no death penalty at all, and the sprint speed is fast enough that once you have the first part of a puzzle down you can usually re-do it in a matter of a couple seconds.

On having lasers be pixel perfect, the UI did a great job of telling me that. If it can connect to X or Y object, they'll be lit up or dimmed before you even put the thing down. Some of the later ones that have lasers dependent on other ones that are also holding doors open could be a little more fiddly than I'd like, but I can't think of a case where I couldn't think through it.

quote:

My philosophy on puzzle games is that they should be solved in the head (execution should be minimal -- Portal had an excellent balance of this), the solution should be immediately obvious (no pixel hunting), mechanics can be explored without tremendous penalty (Portal's turrets were excellent at being an extreme non-threat once you figured them out), and that the high point of a puzzle isn't the solution, it's the enlightenment of learning and solving.

See, to me the Talos Principle had this in spades but Portal was much more execution-heavy and got bogged down in getting perfect angles and lining things up exactly right that I thought should have worked. To each their own, I guess. :shrug:

• Locked thread