Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_executed_offenders.html

Date of Execution:
March 28, 2012

Offender:
Jesse Hernandez, #999425

Last Statement:
Tell my son I love him very much. God bless everybody. Continue to walk with God. Go Cowboys! Love ya'll man. Don't forget the T-ball. Ms. Mary, thank you for everything that you've done. You too, Brad, thank you.

I can feel it, taste it, not bad.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_info/hernandezjesselast.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

quote:

Date of Execution:

September 21, 2011

Offender:

Lawrence Russell Brewer #999327

Last Statement:

No, I have no final statement.

Guess again!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Execution #3:

Date of Execution:

March 30, 1984

Offender:

Ronald Clark O’Bryan #529

Last Statement:

What is about to transpire in a few moments is wrong! However, we as human beings do make mistakes and errors. This execution is one of those wrongs yet doesn’t mean our whole system of justice is wrong. Therefore, I would forgive all who have taken part in any way in my death. Also, to anyone I have offended in any way during my 39 years, I pray and ask your forgiveness, just as I forgive anyone who offended me in any way. And I pray and ask God’s forgiveness for all of us respectively as human beings. To my loved ones, I extend my undying love. To those close to me, know in your hearts I love you one and all. God bless you all and may God’s best blessings be always yours. Ronald C. O’Bryan P.S. During my time here, I have been treated well by all T.D.C. personnel.

:/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

quote:

Last Statement

Date of Execution:

November 21, 1997

Offender:

Charlie Livingston #802

Last Statement:

You all brought me here to be executed, not to make a speech. That’s it.

poo poo Charlie, that's hardcore.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

quote:

Last Statement

Date of Execution:

July 31, 2013

Offender:

Douglas Feldman, #999326

Last Statement:

I hereby declare, Robert Steven Everett and Nicholas Velasquez, guilty of crimes against me, Douglas Alan Feldman. Either by fact or by proxy, I find them both guilty. I hereby sentence both of them to death, which I carried out in August 1998. As of that time, the State of Texas has been holding me illegally in confinement and by force for 15 years. I hereby protest my pending execution and demand immediate relief.

I'm not entirely sure if this guy was taking the piss or not.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Broken Cog posted:

Sovereign Citizen?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kelsey Patterson posted:

Statement to what. State What. I am not guilty of the charge of capital murder. Steal me and my family's money. My truth will always be my truth. There is no kin and no friend; no fear what you do to me. No kin to you undertaker. Murderer. [Portion of statement omitted due to profanity] Get my money. Give me my rights. Give me my rights. Give me my rights. Give me my life back.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Nope he was crazy. Shot a dude driving a truck for looking at him the wrong way/cutting him off on the road while he was on a motorcycle. Dude had Judge Dredd fantasies.

E: Somewhere in there is a guy who quotes Nedd Starck's speech from Game Of Thrones. I think he raped and murdered a kid.

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

Last Statement

Date of Execution:

December 7, 2000

Offender:

Claude Jones #980

Last Statement:

To your family, ah, I hope that this can bring some closure to y'all. I am sorry for your loss and hey, I love all y'all. Let's go.

quote:

Last Statement

Date of Execution:

February 17, 2004

Offender:

Cameron Todd Willingham #999041

Last Statement:

Yeah. The only statement I want to make is that I am an innocent man - convicted of a crime I did not commit. I have been persecuted for 12 years for something I did not do. From God's dust I came and to dust I will return - so the earth shall become my throne. I gotta go, road dog. I love you Gabby. [Remaining portion of statement omitted due to profanity.]

quote:

Last Statement

Date of Execution:

December 7, 1989

Offender:

Carlos DeLuna #744

Last Statement:

I want to say I hold no grudges. I hate no one. I love my family. Tell everyone on death row to keep the faith and don’t give up.

All three of these men were almost certainly innocent. Carlos DeLuna is a case of Law enforcement picking the wrong Carlos. Claude Jones would have gotten a new trial via DNA if good old George W Bush had bothered to hear his appeal and Cameron was railroaded into his grave by a prosecutor who put witnesses on the stand knowing they were committing perjury.

Caros fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 31, 2014

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Sounds like Texas got some balls.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Sounds like Texas got some balls.

No, not really. We just don't have any groups with any type of influence that can hold the state accountable. In fact, as a whole the electorate tends to reward dickish behavior.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

If it makes you feel any better, that guy tried to poison his daughter and successfully murdered his 8 year old son for insurance money. He also tried to poison three other kids at the same time to obscure that fact.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Offender:
Ramon Torres Hernandez, #999431

Last Statement:
Can you hear me? Did I ever tell you, you have dad's eyes? I've noticed that in the last couple of days. I'm sorry for putting you through all this. Tell everyone I love them. It was good seeing the kids. I love them all; tell mom, everybody. I am very sorry for all of the pain. Tell Brenda I love her. To everybody back on the row, I know you're going through a lot over there. Keep fighting, don't give up everybody.

Summary of Incident
On 03/31/2002, in San Antonio, Texas, Hernandez and 2 co-defendants abducted, robbed, sexually assaulted, and murdered a 37-year old Hispanic female, later transporting her body to a wooded area and burying her in a shallow grave. Hernandez asked one co-defendant to purchase the shovel used to dig the grave while the victim was still alive and being assaulted.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Offender:
Mathis, Milton Wuzael

Last Statement:
....I asked the Lord to have mercy on me and I hope He has mercy on these people carrying out this mass slaughter. They have no respect for humanity. To Melanie, I never meant to hurt you. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Summary of Incident
On 12/15/98, at approximately 8:30 a.m., Mathis shot three victims in the head with a .45 caliber pistol at a known drug house in Fort Bend County, Texas. One of the victims, a 15-year-old Hispanic female survived the shooting, paralyzed from the chest down.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

If it makes you feel any better, that guy tried to poison his daughter and successfully murdered his 8 year old son for insurance money. He also tried to poison three other kids at the same time to obscure that fact.
Eh, not a fan of the death penalty. Reading these and thinking of someone being put to death like that and seeing that realization in their final words is depressing. Not Texas, but it can't get much more depressing than Ricky Ray Rector saving the pecan pie from his last meal for later, though.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Reading that website is something I do often.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Eh, not a fan of the death penalty. Reading these and thinking of someone being put to death like that and seeing that realization in their final words is depressing. Not Texas, but it can't get much more depressing than Ricky Ray Rector saving the pecan pie from his last meal for later, though.

I don't support the death penalty either but some nice words at the end of his life doesn't erase what the guy did. Hopefully he meant them but I doubt it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bel Shazar posted:

No, not really. We just don't have any groups with any type of influence that can hold the state accountable. In fact, as a whole the electorate tends to reward dickish behavior.

The quote was an allusion to a 2010 focus group in which one primary voter was quoted as saying "It takes balls to execute an innocent man." in regards to Rick Perry.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I dont mind the death penalty, only that the system which enforces it takes far too long to do so. Give a person 10-20 years with nothing to do but make peace with every god they can name and they turn into boring scripture-quoting types.

This guy nailed it, though:

quote:

I deserve this. Tell everyone I said goodbye.

Caros
May 14, 2008

whoflungpoop posted:

I dont mind the death penalty, only that the system which enforces it takes far too long to do so. Give a person 10-20 years with nothing to do but make peace with every god they can name and they turn into boring scripture-quoting types.

This guy nailed it, though:

So you don't mind that we kill innocent people under the guise of justice and would in fact prefer to speed the process along thus causing even more people to be murdered unjustly. Cool story bro.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

blarzgh posted:

Hernandez asked one co-defendant to purchase the shovel used to dig the grave while the victim was still alive and being assaulted.

Well, that's cold.

Anyways, yeah, I'm anti-death penalty, period, but when reading about certain crimes it's very hard to be.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Caros posted:

So you don't mind that we kill innocent people under the guise of justice and would in fact prefer to speed the process along thus causing even more people to be murdered unjustly. Cool story bro.
Texas does do an effective job relative to other execution states in reducing the time between conviction and execution, and this is for a number of reasons (like expediting state appeals) and working out other statutory or procedural kinks that other states haven't fully tested or affirmed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

whoflungpoop posted:

Texas does do an effective job relative to other execution states in reducing the time between conviction and execution, and this is for a number of reasons (like expediting state appeals) and working out other statutory or procedural kinks that other states haven't fully tested or affirmed.

You realize that 'The process' is murder right? The pointless murder of human beings, including many are innocent. Texas reduced the time between conviction and execution and this is a large reason why Texas leads the nation in the execution of the innocent.

A study on the death penalty found that roughly 4% of people on death row are innocent. Speeding things up simply means that those 4% of people will be executed that much faster with less chances for their innocence to come to light. Apparently you are okay with the state murdering people who did nothing wrong so long as they murder many more people who did do something wrong.

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 31, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

whoflungpoop posted:

So is Judge Dredd like utopian fiction to you?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Caros posted:

Texas reduced the time between conviction and execution and this is a large reason why Texas leads the nation in the execution of the innocent.
Yes, in the mid 90s the Texas State Legislature made the habeas process concurrent with appeals.

Caros
May 14, 2008

whoflungpoop posted:

Yes, in the mid 90s the Texas State Legislature made the habeas process concurrent with appeals.

:psyduck: You really are a horrible person. You know that right?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Caros posted:

:psyduck: You really are a horrible person. You know that right?

There's no reason to be rude or upset over someone explaining a few of the statutory and procedural reasons behind Texas' execution rates. Whether you approve of them or not they're just facts, and fairly boring ones to be honest.

Caros
May 14, 2008

whoflungpoop posted:

There's no reason to be rude or upset over someone explaining a few of the statutory and procedural reasons behind Texas' execution rates. Whether you approve of them or not they're just facts, and fairly boring ones to be honest.

You consider the Texas death penalty system to be a good thing. I'm not being rude or upset, I'm trying to explain that Texas kills completely innocent people in their search to pointlessly murder the guilty. And you seem to be okay with that.

I think my statement about you is pretty factual honestly.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Someday I'm going to have the likes of Rick Perry & Pals dragged to Interpol for their crimes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
[Statement omitted due to profanity]

*Kills innocent man, proudly puts it on the internet for all to see*

gently caress.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Date of Execution:
October 5, 1994

Offender:
Walter Williams #722

Last Statement:
(Mumbled something about he wished his whole life would have been spent as Islamic.)

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_info/hernandezjesselast.html

quote:

The ironic twist to the arrest and crime was that when police officers arrested Williams, they found the murder weapon lying next to the only birthday card Williams received on his birthday. The card was from Liepold [the Victim].

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I just read about him. He didn't loving deserve his pecan pie anyways.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Date of Execution:
September 9, 1998

Offender:
Delbert Teague, Jr.

Last Statement:
I have come here today to die, not make speeches. Today is a good day for dying.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas (My Honor Is My Life).
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_info/teaguedelbertlast.html

What the gently caress? Is Texas executing Klingons now?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Disinterested posted:

Date of Execution:
September 9, 1998

Offender:
Delbert Teague, Jr.

Last Statement:
I have come here today to die, not make speeches. Today is a good day for dying.

We had this discussion in the law thread. It's from some fantasy book series. It's definitely not (real) Latin. Someone should let the state know!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Disinterested posted:

Date of Execution:
September 9, 1998

Offender:
Delbert Teague, Jr.

Last Statement:

That is from the Dragonlance series. It is Solamnic. He thinks he is a Knight of Solamnia. I am a nerd.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

Date of Execution:

March 7, 2007

Offender:

Nichols, Joseph

Last Statement:

Profanity directed toward staff.

Wonder what he's so mad about.

Ohhhhhh.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the requirement for ending up on death row anyway? A lot of these people seem to have been found guilty of one or two murders, which, while horrible, seems excessive to sentence them to death for. Quite a few of them also seem to have been crimes of passion which historically have a very low reoffending rate.

I'm just asking because of the amount of Americans that told me "Wish you had the death penalty now, eh?" when Breivik happened here.

Edit: A lot of them also seem to have had mental problems.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

What's the requirement for ending up on death row anyway? A lot of these people seem to have been found guilty of one or two murders, which, while horrible, seems excessive to sentence them to death for. Quite a few of them also seem to have been crimes of passion which historically have a very low reoffending rate.

I'm just asking because of the amount of Americans that told me "Wish you had the death penalty now, eh?" when Breivik happened here.

A Capital Murder is a murder that is punishable by death. It usually means murder:

Of a Child
Of a Police Officer (or firefighter)
Committed during the commission of another felony, like burglary

there are other forms of capital murder, but these are what you're seeing on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Broken Cog posted:

I would contend that maybe anybody who would be willing to kill somebody is in need of some mental help

• Locked thread