Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Adar posted:

Capital punishment as it's practiced in Texas is terrible because of the procedural shortcuts and racism inherent in the system. On a philosophical level I've never bought the anti-retributive argument. Why is retribution a "wrong" motive from a justice perspective?

What purpose does it serve? If you can answer that in a satisfactory way, then I would relent my anti-retribution stance. But I have yet to encounter anyone who can describe to me the good to be found in capital punishment in a way that doesn't seek to rely entirely on pathos and hypotheticals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Torka posted:

It's baffling to me that miserable pointless decades locked in a shithole American prison with no hope of release is seen as more merciful than death. I know which one I'd choose

Well, obviously this is one step on the road to abolishing LWP.

• Locked thread