Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_executed_offenders.html

Date of Execution:
March 28, 2012

Offender:
Jesse Hernandez, #999425

Last Statement:
Tell my son I love him very much. God bless everybody. Continue to walk with God. Go Cowboys! Love ya'll man. Don't forget the T-ball. Ms. Mary, thank you for everything that you've done. You too, Brad, thank you.

I can feel it, taste it, not bad.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_info/hernandezjesselast.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Offender:
Ramon Torres Hernandez, #999431

Last Statement:
Can you hear me? Did I ever tell you, you have dad's eyes? I've noticed that in the last couple of days. I'm sorry for putting you through all this. Tell everyone I love them. It was good seeing the kids. I love them all; tell mom, everybody. I am very sorry for all of the pain. Tell Brenda I love her. To everybody back on the row, I know you're going through a lot over there. Keep fighting, don't give up everybody.

Summary of Incident
On 03/31/2002, in San Antonio, Texas, Hernandez and 2 co-defendants abducted, robbed, sexually assaulted, and murdered a 37-year old Hispanic female, later transporting her body to a wooded area and burying her in a shallow grave. Hernandez asked one co-defendant to purchase the shovel used to dig the grave while the victim was still alive and being assaulted.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Offender:
Mathis, Milton Wuzael

Last Statement:
....I asked the Lord to have mercy on me and I hope He has mercy on these people carrying out this mass slaughter. They have no respect for humanity. To Melanie, I never meant to hurt you. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Summary of Incident
On 12/15/98, at approximately 8:30 a.m., Mathis shot three victims in the head with a .45 caliber pistol at a known drug house in Fort Bend County, Texas. One of the victims, a 15-year-old Hispanic female survived the shooting, paralyzed from the chest down.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

What's the requirement for ending up on death row anyway? A lot of these people seem to have been found guilty of one or two murders, which, while horrible, seems excessive to sentence them to death for. Quite a few of them also seem to have been crimes of passion which historically have a very low reoffending rate.

I'm just asking because of the amount of Americans that told me "Wish you had the death penalty now, eh?" when Breivik happened here.

Edit: A lot of them also seem to have had mental problems.

A Capital Murder is a murder that is punishable by death. It usually means murder:

Of a Child
Of a Police Officer (or firefighter)
Committed during the commission of another felony, like burglary

there are other forms of capital murder, but these are what you're seeing on here.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

"On the morning of November 29, 1975, tragedy struck. Henry Martinez Porter of San Antonio, 43, shot Officer Henry Paul Mailloux, 28, after officer Mailloux had asked Martinez to pull his car over.

Martinez was shot in the side during the struggle and then shot Mailloux claiming that he pulled the trigger in self-defense. Martinez claimed that Mailloux said that he was going to kill him for the robberies that had taken place in that area."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

420DD Butts posted:

What purpose does it serve? If you can answer that in a satisfactory way, then I would relent my anti-retribution stance. But I have yet to encounter anyone who can describe to me the good to be found in capital punishment in a way that doesn't seek to rely entirely on pathos and hypotheticals.

Some would argue (not me, of course) that each and every government function is some extension of the will of the people, and if the will of the people is retribution, then government exaction of the same is proper.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
What about the people who say, "The Willingham story isn't proof that the system of Capital Punishment needs to go away, just that the people or groups who made such a tragic mistake should be held accountable."?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Not that I agree with these people, but it seems that what they're trying to say, between mouthfuls of Flamin' Hot Cheetos is: "Why should we argue the merits of a societal function only on whether it might ever fail?"

I think the analogy they're grasping for is something akin to, "Road construction projects often fail, and have caused deaths in America, but we only decide whether to build them based on whether they represent the will of the people."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mornacale posted:

The real problem is an unwillingness or inability to recognize that just because people were discussing one problematic aspect of the death penalty does not mean that there aren't multiple factors at work in determining what forms of punishment are appropriate. Almost no public policy has a downside so severe that no conceivable benefit would outweigh it, so any condemnation of policy necessarily implies "and it has no benefits that offset these drawbacks"; acting like this implication is not there reeks of being willfully obtuse.

Barlow posted:

Though I get almost everyone here is opposed to the death penalty (and I I find myself in wholehearted agreement with them) are there any good arguments that I'm unaware of that can be made for it? Deterrence doesn't seem to be backed up by studies and having the state kill is vastly more expensive than life in prison. Is there any case to be made for it except on emotional grounds?

I think the point people try to make in support of the Death Penalty is that it its not dependent on its utilitarianism to be proper. People would argue that lots of social programs have no utilitarian benefit, but are instead a function of a moral imperative, agreed upon by popular vote of the people of that State. They are trying to say, "because the people of the State of Texas believe capital punishment to be morally proper, the functional efficacy of it is not relevant."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

His Co-Defendant: Jermaine Herron

Police later discovered much of the stolen property in either Frazier or Herron’s possession. When police searched the apartment of Jermaine Herron’s girlfriend, investigators recovered Betsy Nutt’s cell phone and a 9-millimeter handgun also stolen from the Ranch owners’ home.

Firearms experts determined the gun was the murder weapon. Further, both Frazier and Herron provided a videotaped statements admitting to the crime, Herron specifically admitted to murdering Cody Nutt.

Final Words:

"Yes sir. To Mr. Jerry Nutt, I just hope this brings some kind of peace to your family. I wish I could bring them back, but I can't. I hope my death brings peace; don't hang on to the hate. Momma, stay strong. Lord forgive me for my sins because here I come. Let's go, Warden."

Final Meal:

Sirloin steak, spicy worcestershire sauce, a bacon cheeseburger w/ten slices of bacon, onion rings and fries w/cheese, french dressing, a butterfinger blizzard w/carmel, pecan pie, vanilla ice cream and peach cobbler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Brief Aside: There is a person who maintains and updates Murderpedia.org regularly.

• Locked thread