Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

quote:

Last Statement

Date of Execution:

July 31, 2013

Offender:

Douglas Feldman, #999326

Last Statement:

I hereby declare, Robert Steven Everett and Nicholas Velasquez, guilty of crimes against me, Douglas Alan Feldman. Either by fact or by proxy, I find them both guilty. I hereby sentence both of them to death, which I carried out in August 1998. As of that time, the State of Texas has been holding me illegally in confinement and by force for 15 years. I hereby protest my pending execution and demand immediate relief.

I'm not entirely sure if this guy was taking the piss or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the requirement for ending up on death row anyway? A lot of these people seem to have been found guilty of one or two murders, which, while horrible, seems excessive to sentence them to death for. Quite a few of them also seem to have been crimes of passion which historically have a very low reoffending rate.

I'm just asking because of the amount of Americans that told me "Wish you had the death penalty now, eh?" when Breivik happened here.

Edit: A lot of them also seem to have had mental problems.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dalael posted:

Here is something from a book I once read, in which a person talks to a crowd who do not believe in killing for any reason, including defending themselves from murderers and rapists. Just putting this here as food for thoughts, leaving everyone to make their opinions.

:words:

Is the guy speaking an executioner? It feels like that whole speech was made only to convince himself that he is not some sort of monster, and he does it by making the value of life into some sort of Zero-sum game, where not taking the life of a murderer somehow devalues the life of the victim.
I also find the whole "if you compromise with murderers/etc you are granting them moral equivalence" argument to be rubbish. Why does the state have to become murderers themselves, shouldn't imprisoning them be enough? There's nobody arguing for that murderers and rapists should just go free. Not to mention what should happen if someone gets innocently executed in his world.

Anyway, this whole discussion reminded me of this:

(Sorry for the watermark, was the only one I could find)

"He,
who willfully ends
another life
by means of violence,
and thereby commits a murder,
shall be killed
by the bidding of the law."

• Locked thread