Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

quote:

Last Statement

Date of Execution:

November 21, 1997

Offender:

Charlie Livingston #802

Last Statement:

You all brought me here to be executed, not to make a speech. That’s it.

poo poo Charlie, that's hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Broken Cog posted:

Is the guy speaking an executioner? It feels like that whole speech was made only to convince himself that he is not some sort of monster, and he does it by making the value of life into some sort of Zero-sum game, where not taking the life of a murderer somehow devalues the life of the victim.

I think it might be Heinlein during one of his Full Fascist phases, but I don't know.

I can understand the desire for vengeance as an individual, but a state is specifically erected to be a dispassionate and objective organism. Like, the entire foundation of modern states is that they are (ostensibly) independent and to a degree, even disinterested arbiters. Vengeance should absolutely never be a factor in anything they do.

Plus of course executing a single innocent person is far worse than letting a thousand guilty go entirely free.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Klyith posted:

The death penalty is a perfectly just response to the murder of another human being.

Now, it unfortunately appears that the government of Texas has wrongfully killed four innocent people. So I'm going to need all police officers, prosecutors, judges, officials of the Dept of Criminal Justice, and every post-1976 governor still living to put their names into this here hat, and I'll draw four. Sorry guys but fair's fair, justice is blind and all that.

This, but without the barest trace of irony.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Badera posted:

States are in no way capable of being disinterested.

Of course they're not, but they should still try.

To note, I don't mean disinterested in the sense that they don't care whether justice is done or not, but that they don't have any interest in a given outcome, which is pretty violently contravened by a state like Texas which is killing people for avowedly vindictive purposes, even if they're factually innocent.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Please show me your example of the last point.

Oh I'm sorry, I used the term "factual innocence" and states are absolutely interested in an objective and unbiased review of such cases, in no way deliberately sabotaging efforts to demonstrate a wrongful conviction. So the actual legal term factual innocence is not something I can demonstrate and, of course, this means no innocent person, or person whose prosecution falls far short of the truly high bar needed to warrant execution, has ever been executed.

e; ^^^ Of course they do, that's what I'm bloody well angry about. I'm saying they shouldn't. I don't honestly know if that is possible, but it should be aimed for nevertheless.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

All I asked was for an example. I assumed there had been some determination by a court or other official that a factually innocent person had been executed. I was interested in reading about it. I'm sorry if you assumed I was pro or anti death penalty.

Ah. I'm sorry for the hostility then. I assumed you were trying to be weaselly about it. Guess I forgot what they say about assumptions!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Badera posted:

Right, and what I'm saying is that it isn't possible. A state is not a neutral arbiter between groups in society.

And I'm saying that it should be aimed for nonetheless, at least in the courtroom.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I would rather spend n time in prison than be killed so yeah. Because you know why? With the first one I might be let out and then be free again. It may not be much, and it may not be even for long, but it's still some freedom. I suppose at some point you could conjure a scenario where it's not worth it, like 50 years in the clink for two days of freedom, but you get to really stretching poo poo like that and the whole thing breaks down.

Fortunately, for all the defense of the death penalty in the US, we don't really have to contend with legal figures who believe that time served is the same thing as being dead.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

blarzgh posted:

Sirloin steak, spicy worcestershire sauce, a bacon cheeseburger w/ten slices of bacon, onion rings and fries w/cheese, french dressing, a butterfinger blizzard w/carmel, pecan pie, vanilla ice cream and peach cobbler.

Whoa there, you get all this and all you have to do is kill someone? Well goons, it's been fun, but see you suckers in 20 years when I get my free bacon cheeseburger with ten slices of loving bacon along with some cheesy fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

citybeatnik posted:

Not in Texas any more!

If you're going to die on our Death Row, you will eat the same Nutraloaf as everyone else and you will LIKE it!

Oh right, I forgot about that. Guess it worked though, I won't be killing anyone in Texas anytime soon! :v:

• Locked thread