Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Adar posted:

Camus is wrong - there are plenty of killers who have done this. For that matter ISIS routinely puts exactly this on Youtube.

Capital punishment as it's practiced in Texas is terrible because of the procedural shortcuts and racism inherent in the system. On a philosophical level I've never bought the anti-retributive argument. Why is retribution a "wrong" motive from a justice perspective?

One might dispute the value or utility of a justice that would respond to say, theft, by making no effort to repay the person who is stolen from, but instead takes something of equal value from the thief, and says everything is settled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Caros posted:

Really, you don't see why the justice system needs the ability to correct its mistakes in the inevitable instances where it discovers them? The death penalty eliminates any possibility of later exoneration and release, it is entirely possible that a person sentenced to life in prison may not be exonerated, but it is absolutely certain that a person killed will never be. I'd rather we leave open that chance.

Why do we have appeals for that matter.

I don't think the justice system is capable of correcting its mistakes even without the death penalty, there is no way to begin to justly compensate someone for the damage 30 years in prison will do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Caros posted:

I agree wholeheartedly that we can't fully correct this sort of mistake. I don't think there is any way to justly compensate someone for the damage five years in prison would do, let alone thirty. Does that mean that we shouldn't try? Or that we should just leave them in prison if we find out that they are innocent?

No, but if part of the argument against the death penalty is that you can't correct the error if it's found out that someone who was executed is innocent, that argument would also have to apply to a lot of other punishments, which are also similarly uncorrectable, yet it is not generally used against anything except the death penalty.

Sharkie posted:

Yes it can. You can end it by letting them out of prison.

That ends future prison time, it does nothing for the years already taken.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pohl posted:

I don't know, somehow the death penalty cases seem different. Why would that be?

It doesn't have to apply to a lot of other punishments unless they are somehow similar to the death penalty. This is a pretty simple concept, the death penalty is not the same thing as anything else in our justice system. Comparing it to anything else is simply absurd. We can in fact tackle the death penalty without breaking the rest of the system, we can do it in simply and effectively. The justice system is not a house of cards that will crash down if we decide that a certain punishment is too hosed up to keep around.

You can argue that the death penalty is both inefficient and ineffective, there are a lot of good arguments against it, but that there is an irrefutable like between it and other punishments is precisely what I am having trouble understanding, you're going to need to explain why.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Caros posted:

Such as? The defining feature of the death penalty that we are discussing is the fact that you can't even make an attempt at restitution or recompense in any form. You can't give them money, or vindicate their name or do anything to give meaningful relief to the person because they are dead.

Well, you could posthumously vindicate someone's name as easily in death as you could in life, if not more easily, as people are often wont to think better of the dead. But how does money fix the kind of prison sentence you would get in lieu of the death penalty? What can you realistically do to make that better?

I don't see why making the attempt makes it any better, trying and failing does nothing but salve the conscience of the person trying, it does nothing for the person in need of restitution.

Sharkie posted:

You're equating revoked with stopped. Death is uniquely irrevocable because you can't end death. You can end a prison sentence.

But you cannot revoke it. Thus it is not uniquely irrevocable. That is entirely the point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pohl posted:

So are you saying if we mistakenly jail someone for 30 years, or we mistakenly put them to death, it is the same thing? So why bother fixing anything, because nothing loving matters? Is that what you are saying?

I'm going to say that everyone wanting to end the death penalty cares about those 30 years, probably more than you do. We care about how hosed up it is for innocent people to be in prison. We also have the capacity to tackle the problems involved as a whole and as individual pieces. Yes, it is an overarching problem we face, but it is also mufti-faceted. The home run would be fixing the entire system all at once, the single to left field is fixing the worst aspect of the system now.

I am saying that there are good reasons to withdraw the death penalty from general use, which could produce demonstrable and marked improvements to the justice system.

However, the idea that we are somehow significantly ethically better for not killing people and instead merely irreparably ruining their lives with long term imprisonment, is an indulgent fantasy, both are so far beyond the pale that the distinction seems rather moot. Neither can be made amends for, and 'making an attempt' in the latter case counts for nothing. Save perhaps to make you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sharkie posted:

It is better not to kill an innocent person than to kill them = an indulgent fantasy. Got it. Go tell people who are working to release wrongfully imprisoned people and their clients that it counts for nothing. This is some seriously laughable thinking here. It's almost like some people care more about maintaining an internally consistent faux-logical argument than helping people!

"It is better not to kill an innocent person than to kill them" isn't the argument. That would be the argument for freeing people who have already been wrongfully convicted, if we are discussing the abolition of the death penalty in general, your choice is between decades of what amounts to torture, or death, because the former is far better than the latter, apparently.

• Locked thread