Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Reading that website is something I do often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Disinterested posted:

Date of Execution:
September 9, 1998

Offender:
Delbert Teague, Jr.

Last Statement:
I have come here today to die, not make speeches. Today is a good day for dying.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas (My Honor Is My Life).
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_info/teaguedelbertlast.html

What the gently caress? Is Texas executing Klingons now?

We had this discussion in the law thread. It's from some fantasy book series. It's definitely not (real) Latin. Someone should let the state know!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not a fan of the death penalty, despite being a Texan and a lawyer. But as a human, I understand the desire for vengeance. I'm interested in it through morbid curiosity though.

If you really read through that site, not just the ones you can fund linked on buzzfeed or Huffington post "top ten executions" you really find some heartbreaking cases, both on the part of victims, families, and the condemned. Most of the executed give thanks to a (former?) Ut professor who fights death penalty cases hard.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Of course they're not, but they should still try.

To note, I don't mean disinterested in the sense that they don't care whether justice is done or not, but that they don't have any interest in a given outcome, which is pretty violently contravened by a state like Texas which is killing people for avowedly vindictive purposes, even if they're factually innocent.

Please show me your example of the last point.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh I'm sorry, I used the term "factual innocence" and states are absolutely interested in an objective and unbiased review of such cases, in no way deliberately sabotaging efforts to demonstrate a wrongful conviction. So the actual legal term factual innocence is not something I can demonstrate and, of course, this means no innocent person, or person whose prosecution falls far short of the truly high bar needed to warrant execution, has ever been executed.

e; ^^^ Of course they do, that's what I'm bloody well angry about. I'm saying they shouldn't. I don't honestly know if that is possible, but it should be aimed for nevertheless.

All I asked was for an example. I assumed there had been some determination by a court or other official that a factually innocent person had been executed. I was interested in reading about it. I'm sorry if you assumed I was pro or anti death penalty.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 1, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah I'm aware of that one. And I know people are sometimes exonerated after years and years in prison, including death row. But if there's an example of someone (in the last 40 years) who has been found innocent to have been executed, I wanted to read about it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thanks for the Willingham example. That was an interesting read. I'm a civil attorney and dint follow criminal stuff at all, beyond high profile scotus stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Do you think appeals should be allowed on questions of fact?

Do you not think they should be?

• Locked thread