Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caros posted:

Honestly? It was really just confusion on my part. I couldn't quite understand how his position could be quite so insane.

The problem with twodot's logic is that he doesn't understand that it's possible for something to be better than something else without being ideal. Like, he takes the fact that releasing someone from prison doesn't compensate them for their lost years (which is true) to mean that it's pointless to do anything since it's impossible to be ideally compensated. This is of course nonsense; it's still better to attempt to compensate someone for their prison time (in the form of giving them a better future, since obviously you can't travel back in time), even though it is not possible to completely make up for it.

Basically his argument boils down to an incredibly convoluted way of saying "you can't change the past!" while pretending that the future doesn't exist or something.

In case he's actually autistic, I would advise him to think about the issue in terms of the net quality of a person's entire life span. While a person who spends 20 years in prison and is released and a person who spends 20 years in prison before being put to death both have the same net value for years 0-20*, the net quality of of the entire lifespan would generally be higher for the person who is released and given millions of dollars in compensation.

*Ignoring the whole "knowing they're going to die in 20 years" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread