Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:toot: Happy New Year! :toot:

Welp.

We survived 2014, a year in the shitter. A year in which the Tories made more cutbacks, IDS continued his purge against the common man, Scotland voted to remain in the union (at least for now), UKIP gained some MPs, the public discovered that there is quite a serious nonce-infestation at Westminster and Scotland Yard, and learnt that public enquiries shouldn't expect to go anywhere because no-one seems to do background checks on the investigating enquirers.

And for the cherry on top; it's an election year.

All outcomes suggest, that we are going to be truly, royally, hosed.

:confuoot: Happy New Year? :marc:

---
How to cope with this government New Year:

Courtesy of Oberleutnant, apologies to Kelly.
---
Thread Required Reading
SA D&D's very own mod, Brown Moses, the 81st Most Powerful UK Media Person, on the front cover of the Independant on Sunday. :toot:

Thread Required Viewing
Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe

---
Previous 2014 Threads:
December 2014 - Poorly Moderated by the 81st Most Powerful Person in the UK Media
November 2014
October 2014 - Papers please. Theresa May Edition.
September 2014 - The baby that saved Britain.
August 2014 - Bojo's Brilliant Buran Bazaar
July 2014 - Thread regular knows dogfucker from school.
June 2014 - Emu was Rod Hull's patsy.
May 2014 - Elections! (which won't fix anything)
April 2014 - St. Piran > St. George.
March 2014 - Bingo And Beer For All!
February 2014 - Corrupt, Lying, Thieving Parasites that should Hang!
January 2014 - The morning after the year before.

UKMT Archive of Woe:
Oct 2010 - Dec 2013

Related UK Threads:
UK Political Cartoons Megathread
Phone Hacking, Government Child Abuse Rings, And All Things British And Corrupt
English Defence League: the (white) pride of the UK
Independence Stay: A Holyrood Blockbuster (a Post-Ref ScotPol thread)
Trainchat - The failure of privatisation in the British Railway
---

UKMT New Year Resolutions
  • No Crisp-chat
  • No Boat-chat.
  • No Train-chat.
  • No Jamie Oliver.
  • No Dorito-chat.
  • Full Communism.
Thread Flag:

Made by Guavanaut
---

---
Tory Election Campaign Poster Edits:

The Original:

The Glorious Responses:

baka kaba posted:

You forgot something

M for Mushroom posted:

Here's one I prepared earlier

---

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
We haven't survived 2014 yet.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
This is a good point. I'll edit the first section. briefly.

[e]: I try :v:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 31, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

You monster

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I hope ebola gets loose and everyone down south bloodshits themselves to death.

If we take a Scottish definition down south, well, I'll make that sacrifice and die from ebola if it'd save us from the tories.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Blair says Labour are too left wing...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30640264

Sure, I mean their pretty left when it comes to... I mean there's that thing about the... what about.... nope, I've got nothing.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I mean, I know it's obvious and common knowledge how poo poo Blair is, but... an actual former leader of the actual Labour Party (y'know, the party that's meant to be for the workers, that was formed from a tradition of trade unionism and left-wing politics) thinks that the party performs best in the centre.

We're hosed and we always have been. Happy New Year!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
In fairness to Blair (and I hope that's the only time I ever say that), he's saying Labour are in danger of being too left-wing to win, which is a view I think most of this thread considers valid given the shift of the overton window to the right and the general stupidity of the population when it comes to looking out for their own interests.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fairly sure they've already said everything even vaguely related to Iraq will be on the 70- or 100-year rule.

Ha! Knew it. Gotta keep that dirty laundry shoved down the back of the machine lest its owners become slightly embarrassed should the number and variety of stains be made public before they're dead.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

In fairness to Blair (and I hope that's the only time I ever say that), he's saying Labour are in danger of being too left-wing to win, which is a view I think most of this thread considers valid given the shift of the overton window to the right and the general stupidity of the population when it comes to looking out for their own interests.

nationalise the railways is a vote winner
nationalise the energy sector to reduce bills is a vote winner ("why are we buying our power from the loving French!?")
nationalise lots of national treasures is a vote winner ("loving Cadbury's owned by some yanks?!")
nationalise royal mail might be a vote winner, might need a few years for things to get shittier first
protect the NHS is a vote winner. gently caress, for bonus points tack on some "sport are troops" post-war service care like physical and mental rehab.
abolish tuition fees might work if the current crop of students aren't utterly turned off by :lies: was it removed? i never got to use it and now it's gone...
build more council houses might be a vote winner if it's managed correctly and not allowed to get carried away by the Daily Mail "Now Red Ed wants 'YOUR house to be worthless'!"
A bigger and better HMRC designed to chase offshore crooks would be a vote winner.

Fund it all with a tax on the feckless greedy bastards.
Abolish private schooling.
Raze Eton to the ground and salt the earth so nothing will grow there.
Eat the rich.

The only risk Labour have is by being "too soft on imigration" which at this point is an unwinnable debate before the election. If they swung left on everything else they'd do great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

The only risk Labour have is by being "too soft on imigration" which at this point is an unwinnable debate before the election. If they swung left on everything else they'd do great.
"If you desire a coloured for your neighbour" - Still working in 2015 :smithicide:

winegums posted:

Raze Eton to the ground and salt the earth so nothing will grow there.
Eat the rich.
Raise and eat the rich in City farms. Salted, obviously.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mrpwase posted:

I mean, I know it's obvious and common knowledge how poo poo Blair is, but... an actual former leader of the actual Labour Party (y'know, the party that's meant to be for the workers, that was formed from a tradition of trade unionism and left-wing politics) thinks that the party performs best in the centre.

We're hosed and we always have been. Happy New Year!!

Blair is not strictly speaking a former leader of the actual Labour Party. He was leader of New Labour, who are basically Tories in red instead of blue, but his real politics are green.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

winegums posted:

abolish tuition fees might work if the current crop of students aren't utterly turned off by :lies: was it removed? i never got to use it and now it's gone...

I think this could actually be a vote loser among working class people, large numbers of whom seem to regard students as feckless wasters.

They're not wrong, but still.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Labour won't abolish tuition fees; instead, they'll offer a top-rate cut that looks progressive but is incredibly regressive instead. And the NUS will back them all the way. :smith:

I'm just glad that Labour won't capitulate to xenophobic immigration policies, th–

Oh. :smithicide:

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Tony Blair has said that he was misinterpreted when he said the tories would win, because he actually meant that labour would win, not the tories. labour

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The second commitment would be decent if it was actually done right. Paying migrants low wages fucks everyone up, even migrants. They should be paid minimum wage at least.

I doubt this is what labour are thinking though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Ddraig posted:

The second commitment would be decent if it was actually done right. Paying migrants low wages fucks everyone up, even migrants. They should be paid minimum wage at least.

I doubt this is what labour are thinking though.

Definitely. #1 and #3 are abhorrent, though.

Apparently, removing benefits from immigrants will make the system "fairer". Like, yeah, let's make them forrins starve.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

I'm just glad that Labour won't capitulate to xenophobic immigration policies, th–

They've got my vote!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

Definitely. #1 and #3 are abhorrent, though.

Apparently, removing benefits from immigrants will make the system "fairer". Like, yeah, let's make them forrins starve.

Why is #3 abhorrent? That's a very strong word to use. If a foreign citizen chooses to come to Britain and commits criminal offences while here, why shouldn't we be able to deport them easily? Every other country screens for criminals during a visa application check for example. I wouldn't object if a British citizen is ejected from the US after committing offences there. (I'm assuming a sensible threshold of seriousness to the crime is built in here, so you don't get deported for littering.)

I agree with you on #1.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Prince John posted:

Why is #3 abhorrent? That's a very strong word to use. If a foreign citizen chooses to come to Britain and commits criminal offences while here, why shouldn't we be able to deport them easily? Every other country screens for criminals during a visa application check for example. I wouldn't object if a British citizen is ejected from the US after committing offences there. (I'm assuming a sensible threshold of seriousness to the crime is built in here, so you don't get deported for littering.)

I agree with you on #1.

It's basically posturing over Abu Qatada (who, it should be pointed out, dropped his case against the UK after Jordan signed a treaty preventing the use of torture wrt his trial).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TinTower posted:

If any of that appeals to you, you'd love Australia, where all of the above is already implemented.

Happy Hogmanay UKMT :toot:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically #3 is a bit of a copout as it allows situations where we can bypass that little thing called the ECHR and deport undesirables to jurisdictions where they would more than likely be tortured and executed. This is a bad thing. Even Abu Hamza deserves basic human rights.

Ideally it would be used to deport criminals easily but it's basically too broad brush to be of any use.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

They've got my vote!

Sensible policies for a sensible Britain.

[e]: Ah, thank you, that reminds me...
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 31, 2014

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOY4Ka-GBus

Happy New Year UKMT :smith:

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
The Black Mirror Christmas Special was pretty good, so at least you have that to be thankful for.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Following on from the UKMT 2015 predictions of the previous thread, here are the FT's:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/fb55f168-807f-11e4-872b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3LcKNXQxK
  • The general election will produce a Lab-Con coalition to keep the nutters out of power
  • Oil will fall below $50/barrel
  • The ECB will finally stop dithering and pull the trigger on QE
  • Neither Russia nor the US will start new military engagements
  • China's growth rate will drop below 7% but India's will increase
  • The Fed will raise rates well before the BoE
  • Super-prime London house prices will fall
  • Ebola will be eliminated
  • Buttcoin will hold its value but its eventual collapse is inevitable
  • Wearable technology is going nowhere fast

A lab-con grand coalition would certainly be... interesting. Worked out well enough during WWII I suppose, but the last peacetime experiment didn't exactly go well.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Lab-Con coalition? I can't think of a more remote possibility.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Disinterested posted:

SNP-UKIP?

No wait, UKIP-Sinn Féin.

No wait, anyone-Veritas

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Lab-SNP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

No wait, UKIP-Sinn Féin.
I can see that working. A bunch of politicians who refuse to swear the Oath and sit in Westminster, and a bunch of politicians who don't want them to.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Disinterested posted:

Depends whether Labour/Tories see UKIP/Greens as a big enough threat to their political hegemony.
I could totally see it happening if there was another party alongside UKIP that was more noticeable than the Greens. As is its more likely we get another coalition with the lib dems, or the doomsday scenario of Tory/UKIP coalition.

I for one am hoping for a comedy result of a Labour/UKIp coalition or tripartite Libdem/UKIP/Green minor party government.

Haha who am I kidding its up to the queen in the end and she's gonna go with the tories again.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
BNP-Greens :unsmigghh:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Happy Hogmanay UKMT, may your day be filled with shortbread and whisky. I'm going to a Lithuanian-hosted flat party with a Russian as my date, so we're going to bring Olivier Salad, caviar, grenkii and vodka and hope no one says anything about her sneaking off at 9pm to watch Putin's speech and get mad about exchange rates.

Oh and at midnight I turn 24, to which the city has kindly decided to display fireworks!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They would be excellent for decentralizing power to local areas. Just don't ask about their definition of pollution :godwinning:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

They would be excellent for decentralizing power to local areas. Just don't ask about their definition of pollution :godwinning:

There are malthusian subsets to both parties as well.

Ending overpopulation through strength through joy. You may report those who leave the lights on to your local gauliter's office.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Eco-fascism is the best fascism after homo-fascism.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I don't understand how one could think a Lab Con coalition could happen when the consensus in the event of a hung legislature minor parties tend to get the blame (the SNP would be an exception but that's another story). Both Labour and the Tories would have a strong argument to wavering third party voters that better to go with them than let the other guys in in the event of a second general election. The Tories are already fundraising for a second election in 2015.

Plus without a major crisis the two main parties going into coalition would turbo charge anti politics sentiments.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

There are malthusian subsets to both parties as well.

Ending overpopulation through strength through joy. You may report those who leave the lights on to your local gauliter's office.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I don't understand how one could think a Lab Con coalition could happen when the consensus in the event of a hung legislature minor parties tend to get the blame (the SNP would be an exception but that's another story). Both Labour and the Tories would have a strong argument to wavering third party voters that better to go with them than let the other guys in in the event of a second general election. The Tories are already fundraising for a second election in 2015.

Plus without a major crisis the two main parties going into coalition would turbo charge anti politics sentiments.

Labour won't want to fight a second general election. Their campaign money is a lot harder than the Tories.

And if it ends up, say, Labour 290, Tories 285, SNP 30, Lib Dems 30, UKIP 5, there's a chance it'll be the only stable option on the table.

tl;dr: without a majority, Labour are hosed.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 31, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Would Labour rather let the Tories in than make a deal with the SNP? Do they hate them that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
If Labour go into a coalition with the Tories they'll be even more hosed. Plus it won't be on the table because the Tories will seek to win with their money advantage in the second election.

• Locked thread