Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

Kevin Warwick, who is Britain's Chief Scientific Wanker, already did this like a decade ago. He implanted some RF transponder in his arm and had a door that was programmed to open when he came near it.

Cue lots of headlines about "DOCTOR CYBORG" and "THE SINGULARITY IS NEAR"

Nice to see the same wankery coming round again.

Is he still attached to Reading University? I nearly went there due to his influence but bailed as soon as I saw the place, as their robotics department was just a disused chemistry lab that looked like it hadn't received any funding since it was built (whenever it was popular to cover the outside of buildings in gravel, the 70s I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is he still attached to Reading University? I nearly went there due to his influence but bailed as soon as I saw the place, as their robotics department was just a disused chemistry lab that looked like it hadn't received any funding since it was built (whenever it was popular to cover the outside of buildings in gravel, the 70s I think?)
He is still PROFESSOR OF CYBERNETICS at the Reading, yup.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

If it's the size of a grain of rice they could easily embed it in a ring, which would be almost as difficult to lose and unobtrusive whilst being a) cooler and b) less painful.

And let's be honest who wouldn't want to get through a door by fist-bumping the lock with their super secret club sigil? :mason:

I don't know, I lose rings all the time (and my sister in law has lost 2 wedding rings and her engagement ring).

Also rings can be stolen a lot more easily than flesh.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I am a bit of a nerd so I actually have an RFID implant in my hand. It was done by a tattoo artist I know and it was an incredibly simple process. The weirdest thing was feeling it being inserted.

It's not much of a huge stretch to get it removed either.

I certainly wouldn't want it to become compulsory because that's hosed up and I would definitely recommend having it done by a professional.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
it's probably less horrible than getting the contraceptive implant put in/removed (they are about the size of a matchstick).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Also rings can be stolen a lot more easily than flesh.

I dunno man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM--4-z0cs&t=85s

realtalk, rfid underwear. Nobody's going to be able to casually walk off with it, and before you bring up the logistics of what to do when you've got a weak signal, just think how hilarious it'll be watching someone try to log in to a printer :huh:

e/ countdown to terrible parents getting their children chipped like dogs

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh good god I want pelvic thrust-to-activate devices now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
People trying to gently caress printers is probably a website somewhere

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Not sure if the loving printers is completely unconnected to what I said, but just in case - the contraceptive implant goes in your arm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Not sure if the loving printers is completely unconnected to what I said, but just in case - the contraceptive implant goes in your arm.

Those things do unnerve me a little actually.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

PlantHead posted:

How were they going to get away with bashing 2 Grade I listed buildings together anyway, you can't even paint them without getting permission, let alone knocking down walls and putting in a swimming pool.

I'm no authority, but I looked at a house once where only the front wall was listed - aka the "pretty bit". You could do whatever you liked to the rest of the property in this particular case, because it wouldn't change the bit looking onto the street.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Those things do unnerve me a little actually.

I'm not a fan. Try sitting there while a doctor digs around inside your arm with a pair of tweezers and a worried look on her face saying 'hmmm....oh wait! nearly....oh' for 10 minutes to really go off them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'm not a fan. Try sitting there while a doctor digs around inside your arm with a pair of tweezers and a worried look on her face saying 'hmmm....oh wait! nearly....oh' for 10 minutes to really go off them.

Replace 'tweezers' with 'needle' and 'doctor' with 'volunteer' and that describes the last 2 times I've given blood.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love this story, corrupt police offer taxi service like what was in The Usual Suspects

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11378481/Corrupt-policeman-offered-blue-light-taxi-service.html

A report by a watchdog has highlighted concerns about sex and drug-related corruption among police officers. Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) made 14 recommendations for forces in England and Wales to improve the way they deal with "bent" officers.

Some of the cases highlighted by the report - which were anonymised by HMIC - include:

The "blue light" taxi service

In a case almost identical to a plot-line in the crime movie The Usual Suspects, a police inspector at an unnamed British police force was investigated after it emerged he had an "off-duty association with a member of an organised crime group". He had conducted checks on police systems relating to the arrest of a relative of the criminal. Telephone records showed the officer and the criminal were speaking on the phone at the same time as the records were being accessed. The inspector, who was prosecuted and dismissed, was also running an unofficial taxi service using police cars. "It was established that the inspector was causing the wholesale misuse of police vehicles by using them as a 'blue light' taxi service while off duty," said the report.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Replace 'tweezers' with 'needle' and 'doctor' with 'volunteer' and that describes the last 2 times I've given blood.

Hahaha oh that's fun. I think the last time i went they missed quite a bit and I ended up with a massive purple bruise for a week afterwards.

I should start giving blood again, it's the most arduous tea and biscuit I've ever sat down for.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Hahaha oh that's fun. I think the last time i went they missed quite a bit and I ended up with a massive purple bruise for a week afterwards.

I should start giving blood again, it's the most arduous tea and biscuit I've ever sat down for.

Me too, I've not gone for ages because I've either been pregnant, breeastfeeding or recently tattooed.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

OwlFancier posted:

While it's cool, I think if you're really wanting people to take biotechnology seriously, you need a proper reason for it to be surgically implanted. There are a lot of technological conveniences nowadays but I don't yet feel it necessary to store them inside my body.

It's RFID, hardly even worthy of calling biotechnology. In the UK at least they put them in cats and dogs incase they go missing.

I swear this story comes round every few years, where someone goes 'hey these things are pretty small, why don't we implant them in people, it'll be like THE FUTURE'. It's pointless. You already have an RFID swipe card, and if you quit/get fired you don't have to have it surgically removed.

In the plus side, you'll never forget your pass I guess.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

PlantHead posted:

How were they going to get away with bashing 2 Grade I listed buildings together anyway, you can't even paint them without getting permission, let alone knocking down walls and putting in a swimming pool.
My boss is an architectural historian by trade, and has a sideline job as a government adviser on listed building alteration and development. My knowledge of the field comes only from overheard conversations and the odd informal chat, because when my boss is working at our office he has his librarian hat on, rather than his architectural historian hat.

As far as I understand it: the client or the government pays someone like him to write up the history of the building, the applicant's proposed alterations, and then an opinion as to the impact of those alterations wrt the historic character of the building. I've heard my boss on the phone saying to whoever was drafting one of his reports for him "don't push that [bit of information regarding the historic worth of the building] too hard, we want to allow the alteration" or words to that effect.

The people making the decision rely on the advice of the person writing the report, and the content of the report is going to be subject to the education, whims, taste, and, generally, personal opinions of the person writing it.

If you went to university with the guy writing the report? or maybe you're both members of the same club, or maybe you know them through some other means, and some intermediary tells the adviser that you're a bloody good chap, you probably have a much better chance of getting your proposals allowed.

So, basically, old boy's network through and through.

e: bear in mind also that there are loving poo poo loads of listed buildings, and a lot of them are very obscure. The more obscure a building is, the more weight the report will have because the decision makers probably won't have any personal or professional knowledge beyond "this is a listed property which was built in xxxx and here's a picture of it"

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 30, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

realtalk, rfid underwear. Nobody's going to be able to casually walk off with it, and before you bring up the logistics of what to do when you've got a weak signal, just think how hilarious it'll be watching someone try to log in to a printer :huh:

Gives a whole new meaning to "SAS commando unit", doesn't it?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jedit posted:

I'm more concerned about what they do to reclaim your chip when you quit.

Does anyone remember what page Glasgow burger chat was on? I may be down tomorrow.

Was recently informed of a new entry into the Glasgow burger fad, apparently it's about as good as any other

http://www.steakcattleandroll.co.uk/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I had lectures by him in first year and he's mental and just talks about sex

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

If anyone's interested, Strike Magazine has noticed that the Daily Mail has arranged some promotion with P&O Ferries for £1 return tickets from Dover to Calais (booking fee included). They're using the tickets to travel over to Calais on the Sunday and drop supplies to the refugees near Calais.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/activists-are-helping-migrant-refugees-at-the-expense-of-the-daily-mail--lyKdW3vijg

I'm going over on the 11am ferry with a bag of stuff, if anyone else feels like coming it's a good excuse to do a good thing on the Daily Mail's dime.

E: vvv also a good excuse for a holiday if you're not into hanging out with refugees, apparently you get a free bottle of wine somewhere in the bargain.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 30, 2015

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

If anyone's interested, Strike Magazine has noticed that the Daily Mail has arranged some promotion with P&O Ferries for £1 return tickets from Dover to Calais (booking fee included). They're using the tickets to travel over to Calais on the Sunday and drop supplies to the refugees near Calais.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/activists-are-helping-migrant-refugees-at-the-expense-of-the-daily-mail--lyKdW3vijg

I'm going over on the 11am ferry with a bag of stuff, if anyone else feels like coming it's a good excuse to do a good thing on the Daily Mail's dime.

Thanks for that! I won't be helping the refugees, but it'll make a nice mini break.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
For all the silliness around RFID Google giving Ray Kurzweil a job is probably worth worrying about a bit more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

For all the silliness around RFID Google giving Ray Kurzweil a job is probably worth worrying about a bit more.

Why so? I only know him as a bit of a singularitarian kook, not something actually dangerous.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jose posted:

I had lectures by him in first year and he's mental and just talks about sex

Same, in one of mine he said something in Korean and I assume it was filthy cause a Korean girl on the third row looked shocked. Don't ever go to Reading for Comp Sci, the algorithms guy thinks you can do magic by dividing by zero and will waste your first lecture of the year telling you so.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Same, in one of mine he said something in Korean and I assume it was filthy cause a Korean girl on the third row looked shocked. Don't ever go to Reading for Comp Sci, the algorithms guy thinks you can do magic by dividing by zero and will waste your first lecture of the year telling you so.

The compilers lecturer got in trouble while I was there because he devoted 3 weeks of lectures to his research rather than the course while the course work had to be finished during that time.

One of the lecturers I had who would disrupt lecturers hugely by kick off at anyone who was late for 5 minutes by shouting and saying they were disrupting people when nobody noticed they'd come in late got sacked then went to live with his internet girlfriend in Japan or so I was told

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How recent was this? I had one who made a fuss about people coming in late, but he seemed like a level-headed chap, and in fairness to him the doors they were coming through were really loud and the people coming in late were usually absolute wankers. Did you have the divide by zero guy for compilers? Cause I did and that sounds like something he'd do.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
loving :lol:, I made a lot of bad decisions when I was 18 but I'm gratified to know that at least once I called it right. Red brick prestige can eat a sack of rancid dicks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

How recent was this? I had one who made a fuss about people coming in late, but he seemed like a level-headed chap, and in fairness to him the doors they were coming through were really loud and the people coming in late were usually absolute wankers. Did you have the divide by zero guy for compilers? Cause I did and that sounds like something he'd do.

I think I started in 2007 but it might have been 2008. Its getting hard to remember. The guy who kicked off at people being late wore a trench coat and fedora

loving :lol:, I made a lot of bad decisions when I was 18 but I'm gratified to know that at least once I called it right. Red brick prestige can eat a sack of rancid dicks.

From what I've heard, Reading's comp sci department was extremely highly rated basically the year I joined, then a new person took over the school governing all that poo poo and basically ran it into the ground in the space of 2 years

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Darth Walrus posted:

Why so? I only know him as a bit of a singularitarian kook, not something actually dangerous.

Google decided to hire a singularitarian kook and, with other major silicon valley firms are donating millions to his Singularity University. Very rich and influential tech firms seem to want to bring about the singularity which is a bit worrying. Even though the singularity is extremely unlikely it is unsettling that major tech firms are viewing it as a thing to work towards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't the singularity just when computers become good enough that they can design better computers faster than humans, and so AI and systems development accelerates and then maybe some computers are smarter than people?

And then some neckbeards turned it into the nerd rapture where they get machine souls and uploaded to the cybernet and other bullshit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTen3-B8GU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

The best part is when it makes your partner actively hate you for six months.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Google decided to hire a singularitarian kook and, with other major silicon valley firms are donating millions to his Singularity University. Very rich and influential tech firms seem to want to bring about the singularity which is a bit worrying. Even though the singularity is extremely unlikely it is unsettling that major tech firms are viewing it as a thing to work towards.

The Singularity would be pretty cool if it happens and it's totes something to work towards though?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

The Singularity would be pretty cool if it happens and it's totes something to work towards though?

totes

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Singularity means basically universal tech market expansion so yeah.
It also advances things towards the self-balancing randian wonderland loved by libertarians and secretly allows for an incredible amount of social control by the people that keep the tech running.

Luckily ain't never gonna happen.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
A mate once told me it was because Moore's law states that we'll have processors with a near infinite number of transistors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's called the singularity because a singularity is a point after which existing predictive models are useless.

Essentially, if it really is the singularity, we have absolutely no idea what it would be like afterwards. Which is the worrying thing. It's essentially people wanting to bet the entire world on a spin of a slot machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Luckily ain't never gonna happen.

Why? Do you think we're gonna stop making computers more powerful or something?

• Locked thread