Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Ok, so books have words inside of them, that's true, but they're also physical objects (or were, until recently), and sometimes a good book cover or intriguing design can inspire you to pick up a book you'd never look at otherwise. The best covers and designs illustrate something important about the book. And sometimes, they're the only good thing about the book. Anyway, post some good book covers and interesting-looking books here, or talk about ones other people post. Here's some covers to get you started:

the last one is a cover for a book that doesn't really exist, http://www.montagueprojects.com/volumes-from-an-imagined-history-of-animals-architecture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
The Clockwork Orange one is cool because it's (i'm assuming?) a reference to the movie as well as functioning excellently on its own? When did that particular edition come out?

The Pictorial Websters looks rad as hell. I want to own that. They could've hosed up that cover in a lot of different ways, too (it's about pictures, so let's put lots of pictures on it!). That's a book cover that says "open me for good things."

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Haha that both owns as a cover and has a monkey smoking a hookah on it. I'm trying to imagine what the thought process was there.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Alhazred posted:

War With the Newts

Always wanted to read this. This cover makes me want to read it more.

The most recent issue of the New Yorker has a piece by Louis Menand about the rise of the pulp paperback which is very interesting in general and also discusses the way that pulp publishers gave pulp covers to more "highbrow" fiction. The 1984 one is kinda funny:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its weird, some of my all-time favorite books I originally purchased entirely because I loved the covers.

Do you think you have a cover aesthetic that appeals to you? All of these strike me as being in the same ballpark (though I don't know jack about design)

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Sometimes its not bad to be on the nose:

:nsfw: http://i.imgur.com/tODsgnt.jpg :nsfw:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

z0331 posted:

For people who like book covers/designs, Peter Mendelsund's Cover is a good book. He's a well-known book cover designer and has done some great work, including The Flame Alphabet and The Bone Clocks.

He also has another book out that talks about design, What We See When We Read.

Yowza. What We See When We Read sounds awesome. THank you for the recommendation.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Wow. That's a deviantart-quality cover right there.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Szmitten posted:

My mover told me to get a Kindle.

Movers: Killing the hardcover/paperback industry.

not to mention book covers just ain't the same on a kindle

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Book covers as an art form will probably fade away the same way album covers/booklets got wrecked by CDs and then digitization.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Juanito posted:

Not if OP has permission or owns that site, but otherwise.. he should update the images so we're not using their bandwidth.

All six or so of us? I think it's probably ok.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

You like this one? It's ugly, boring and unoriginal. An inexplicable departure from the American cover, a custom work by the author's wife. Thankfully reinstated for the British paperback.

I think it accurately conveys the substance of the novel. I like it better than the lovely playing card thing the wife did.

Mr. Squishy posted:

and there's a joke to the cover for A Frolic of his Own: a Rothko-ish painting by his daughter... when she was 12.

hah. that's a cool, I didn't know that.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Not just a cover, but cool stuff inside. Sorry these pictures aren't good, I'm no good at photography.

I have this edition of Hamlet. Pretty nice, got some great essays in the front and good notes throughout:

but the best thing about is is the illustrations inside, which are made from laser-cutting paper. Here's Hamlet Sr.'s ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Yiggy posted:

The next book is The Thing The Book: A Tribute to the Book as Object. Thats fairly self explanatory. The book is an art exhibit in book form. Thats what all art books are aiming to be, sure, but the presentation is a dissection of the different parts of the book, with each part given to a different artist to interpret. So one artist does the cover, the other the table of contents, another the end plates, another the book ribbon, etc. In addition to this there are essays on the various elements of Books as well as book art. Published by Chronicle books.

I didn't even read to the end of your post before buying this book. That looks absolutely phenomenal, as does everything else you posted.

• Locked thread