Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This seems like a good place to gush about one of my favorite pairs of illustrators, Leo and Diane Dillon, a husband and wife team that left an incredible mark on the children's and speculative fiction illustration world. So much so I would be surprised to find a fan of science fiction and fantasy in the US who was unfamiliar with at least some of their work, even if they didn't know the names of the artists involved. Personally, I grew up in a bookstore my parents owned and the esthetic appreciation I had of the Dillion's work lead me to some of the best books I've ever read.

These picture books inspired me to seek out similar art with lead to me picking up...

Some of you are probably saying that that's all well and good, but they're all kids books. The Dillon's had an extensive catalog of covers for adult novels as well. I am super biased towards their lithographs(?) which the did more often later in their career. But they also did some stunning woodcuts that merge their very mid century surrealism style with sharp, bold images.

Some of you might have this copy of Beowulf on the shelf right now.

or this Julius Caesar

I wish I had this Tale of Two Cities

or this Tolstoy

Finally, any summery of the Dillon's work would be incomplete without mentioning their relationship with Harlan Ellison who got them into the field by having them do covers for his story collections. There are a lot to choose from, but I'm partial to these three.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for their work, so if you like it you should look up more. They did a lot of amazing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread