Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The adaptation of the Persian Poem, The Conference of the Birds by Peter Sis. Found this last September on a book run in Chicago at Bookworks. Really nice store, has a lot of old paperbacks. Has some dedicated shelves on beat poets and lit. I was familiar with the poem but this looked like a weird edition of it which is why I picked it off the shelf. After cracking the spine and seeing the paper I could tell this was a special book. The one I found was a first edition, but found some hardcover editions of later printings nearer to home and the paper quality and binding was all comparable. The paperback edition isn't as nice though and you lose some of the rich texture in the illustrations and the paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I love books, reading em, looking for them, just flipping through them. For their content, surely, but as objects almost just as much. Ergo I love this thread. Anyways, onto content.

Suggestivism is a book documenting an art exhibit of the same name. The cover is blue leather. This is one of my favorites because I like studying the brain and I enjoy word and letter art, so having the title Suggestivism suggesting a brain was up my alley (Its all in your head!). The endpaper includes quotes from the artists. First half of the book documents the art which includes painting, sculpture, mixed media, but mostly painting and the second half includes interviews with the artists. Published by Gingko press.

The next book is The Thing The Book: A Tribute to the Book as Object. Thats fairly self explanatory. The book is an art exhibit in book form. Thats what all art books are aiming to be, sure, but the presentation is a dissection of the different parts of the book, with each part given to a different artist to interpret. So one artist does the cover, the other the table of contents, another the end plates, another the book ribbon, etc. In addition to this there are essays on the various elements of Books as well as book art. Published by Chronicle books.

Paperworks and Paperplay are also art books with the focus on paper art. As such they took a little more time with the cover design. On Paperworks the bookjacket comes inside out. On Paperplay the edges are perforated and torn, and the paper is like the tearout inserts you’d find in magazines. Both books are more or less simple exhibitions of various artists working in the paper medium. Both published by Gingko press who make some really nice books.

Next is A Gentle Madness by Nicholas A Basbanes. This is a non-fiction book about bibliophiles and book collectors. The book jacket has a ton of gilt. The binding, cover paper and end paper is all very nice too. Essentially this book is a love letter to book nuts and collectors, and in that spirit is actually a nicely put together book. At least the hardcover edition, that is. He wrote several follow up books, which are also nicely bound. The cover on the second one, Patience and Fortitude, also nice with copper leaf. The third cover takes a different direction.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread