Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Speaking of pulpy covers, I really dig the covers for the Hard Case Crime line of books.

I've been known to import British versions of books because of superior cover art (to me, anyhow). Traitor's Blade is a good example. Here are the two side by side (UK on the left):

The same goes for Joe Abercrombie's books because the US covers have just gotten loving stupid:

I read a fair bit of fantasy, so I understand that bad covers are inevitable. That said, I hate when publishers gently caress things up mid-series. The Iron Elves books had visually-striking covers for the first two books, and then a big pile of poo poo for the third. It was kind of sad seeing the author try to be upbeat about it. Of course, they've since gone back and made equally lovely covers for the first two books.

And while searching for these images, I discovered that the artist for the first two did a cover for the third that was used during pre-publication press I guess, and it's pretty damned good:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Some more covers I'm particularly fond of:

The Horrifying Presence and Other Tales by Jean Ray

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

a kitten posted:

Even though I own a digital copy of We Have Always Lived in the Castle, someday I'm going to fork over the money for a 1st edition because it has one of the greatest covers I've ever seen.

They aren't terribly expensive unless you're looking for a fine copy; The Lottery and The Haunting of Hill House are the Jackson books that go for big bucks.

• Locked thread