Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: No one likes fences here. No person wants a fenced property, especially out in the boonies like I am going to be.

totally, rural people hate fences. like the saying goes, no fences and a bunch of animals running loose make good neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's my problem to keep my dogs safe and out of the road, yes. I was responding to whoever said "fence it all and increase the value!" which is dumb.

I don't need to worry about cows and sheep and chickens and poo poo. There aren't any farms of any kind nearby. A few houses down the road a ways, but no farms or livestock or anything. My two dogs, maybe the farthest neighbor has a dog... That's it I think.

Unsure why the sarcasm... Yes: rural people hate fences, at least in my neck of the woods. There are no farms nearby that require fences, so your definition of rural may be different than mine. Rural doesn't mean farmland everywhere, there are 5 houses with 20+ acres each on this road and nothing else.

Cheapass metal fences look terrible, if you are going to fence in your property then do it right with a nice wooden fence or vinyl.

I understand my dogs need to be under control, and they will be. I apparently didn't overlook anything as far as ideas for fencing; underground electric shock, or corridor are about the only choices I guess :(

the sarcasm is because you seem to think that not having fences themselves means they're morally opposed to them or something. not requiring something themselves doesn't mean they aren't going to appreciate the practical need for it.

invisible fencing isn't really a very good option, other dogs can get in and start fights, dogs can easily push through the shocks when they're motivated enough (like chasing an animal), and a dog that's gotten past the boundaries of an invisible fence is unlikely to go back in- the shocks keep them outside once they get out. my favorite setups have always been having a smaller section of land fenced near the house. yeah, you have to scoop dog poop, but it means you have a private, enclosed area for yourself and kids, not just the dogs. in rural areas this also means your gardens are slightly more protected than without a fence.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

i don't know what zone you're in, but if you have to go with a chain link fence, consider doing some planting to make it look better- you could go with tall grasses, hedges, or grape ivy (some ivy species are toxic if eaten by dogs, so be careful when picking one). it's never going to look great, but you can make it look nicer.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

^^ Ivy is a great idea. Will mention that to the old lady!

loving flatlanders.

sorry, i'm from a state where having a lake view isn't a lifetime accomplishment.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

^^^ Me either, talk to the people from Mass and CT about it.

I have no idea what this means. Flatlanders come up here, buy a shitload of land and take down anything that inhibits the 'natural beauty' of poo poo. I am not one of those people.

oh, i thought you were calling us flatlanders and i got excited about arguing about fences. sorry.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

she, too, is passionate about fences and fencing.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Avshalom posted:

Supr, your house is beautiful. I have to admit I always pictured you living in a shack in the middle of a swamp, surrounded by "Trespassers Will Be Shot" signs and barbed wire.

i've been in that house and it's Southern Living special decorating issue as gently caress. not even the fifty billion goats and the blood-spattered pit bulls can hide super's true, suburban nature.

op you should buy some goats after you build the fence to make sure it's really secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

ya you and your argyle sweater-wearing bloodeaters are soooooo country

Wheats fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread