Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am moving to a place with more land, wide open fields on all sides and across the road as well.

People walk on the road, I don't want my dogs to be a nuisance to anyone, I don't want them to get hit by a car either.

They stay around me when I'm home, but my wife will be carrying a newborn with a toddler running around so she cannot keep as good of an eye on the dogs as I would during the day.

I don't have the $10,000 to put up a 6 foot tall fence around 3 acres, so my options are pretty limited. I'd prefer something where I can let them out from the inside (front door) or go to the garage and let them out the back door of the garage if I have to. The kicker: I would prefer they not poo poo on my lawn and instead poo poo in the field that is about a hundred feet in any direction.

I had thought of a couple runners, one to each tree in the back yard, but the tree directly behind the house is pretty close and the kids and I are going to play outside so I'd probably have to shovel it to the bigger fields.

I don't know what to do. The only thing I can think of is an underground wire with the shock collar things but I don't really want to do that to the dogs. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?

65 pound lab, 45 pound mutt. They will continue to get walked 3-4 miles every day, but I need to make the daily 'in and out a half dozen times' easy for my wife to do with a newborn and toddler running around.

Here's a pic of the layout. Click to embiggen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
But mowing the lawn was going to be so easy with this place :(

I think that option is the only other one than the underground shocking one.

Edit: No one likes fences here. No person wants a fenced property, especially out in the boonies like I am going to be.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Barrista posted:

Not sure how that's your problem. You either care about your dog's safety or you don't.

It's my problem to keep my dogs safe and out of the road, yes. I was responding to whoever said "fence it all and increase the value!" which is dumb.

I don't need to worry about cows and sheep and chickens and poo poo. There aren't any farms of any kind nearby. A few houses down the road a ways, but no farms or livestock or anything. My two dogs, maybe the farthest neighbor has a dog... That's it I think.

Wheats posted:

totally, rural people hate fences. like the saying goes, no fences and a bunch of animals running loose make good neighbors.

Unsure why the sarcasm... Yes: rural people hate fences, at least in my neck of the woods. There are no farms nearby that require fences, so your definition of rural may be different than mine. Rural doesn't mean farmland everywhere, there are 5 houses with 20+ acres each on this road and nothing else.

Cheapass metal fences look terrible, if you are going to fence in your property then do it right with a nice wooden fence or vinyl.

I understand my dogs need to be under control, and they will be. I apparently didn't overlook anything as far as ideas for fencing; underground electric shock, or corridor are about the only choices I guess :(

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 31, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Wheats posted:

the sarcasm is because you seem to think that not having fences themselves means they're morally opposed to them or something. not requiring something themselves doesn't mean they aren't going to appreciate the practical need for it.

I was saying that people around here do not like fences in regards to the "fence the entire property because it'll raise the house value" when in reality it will do the exact opposite. That's why they are opposed to them, they enjoy home values being higher for resale.

"Oh man, you got this awesome property that goes forever and you fenced the loving thing? Now I have to pay someone to take it down to not take away from the natural beauty of the land (the view of the lake and the mountains.)"

I've heard those arguments for the invisible fences, and I am pretty sure my girls will be chasing the deer that hang out in the back field so the invisible fence idea is out the window. I just wish there was another option than 6' chain link fence to be honest.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^ Ivy is a great idea. Will mention that to the old lady!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the people where you live that three fenced acres is a bad thing and people actively take down fencing in the rural areas on acreage :psyduck:

loving flatlanders.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ Me either, talk to the people from Mass and CT about it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I live right beside the rockies. Like, I see Mt. Rainier every day it's clear. Constantly. Even though there are fences everywhere because I live in a sane rural area and not some retard white collar shitlord "oh nooo a fence" area. You're going to have your gross little retard kids in the road too. Unless you're gonna put zap collars on them.

I kind of want you to put zap collars on them. rear end in a top hat.

I have no idea what this means. Flatlanders come up here, buy a shitload of land and take down anything that inhibits the 'natural beauty' of poo poo. I am not one of those people.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't understand you.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'm not a flatlander. You asked what kind of retard wants to remove fences. I told you: Flatlanders. Now I've got retarded kids and deserve dick-kickings? :aaa: This loving sub sometimes... This is worse than the "pits are special snowflakes, you're an rear end in a top hat for even thinking that the one that bit that child should be put down. Everyone pile on and hate him!" poo poo from 10 years ago.

I am in your camp. I could put a fence up around the entire property, but I simply don't have the cash to do it right now. I wouldn't care since I look OVER the fence at the mountains and lakes.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

falling to their whims is giving in to the MAN. Don't do it! Fight the power! Fence the property! All of it! Forever! gently caress them as hard as you can! Paint the fence bright loving purple with dicks all over it!

I will do one better: I wont ever sell to one of those assholes. It's my property, and I''ll be damned if I let them whine about the smell of woodsmoke from a fireplace or whatever.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Sock Weasel posted:

Waaaaah welcome to owning a dog. Where have they been making GBS threads up until this point?

If my dogs poo poo in my sight I rub their noses in it and then kick them a few times. They are pretty good about eating it before I can get close enough to kick them now.

In reality: good suggestion, i dont mind if they poo poo in a specific fenced in spot. I just dont want to go outside with wife and kids and accidentally step in poo. Hell, i walk daily and pick up poo poo in a grocery bag daily so its not like I am a little princess who is scared of it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

PartyCrown posted:

Wtf is a flatlander?

Some richy richerton from mass or ct who made bank in the cities and wants an 'all nautural' slice of maine/new hampshire/vermont and alienates neighbors by doing weird poo poo like taking down fences, serving tresspassing papers despite having a right of way on their deed, and complaining about dumb poo poo like 'i dont like the smell of woodsmoke so can you not have bonfires/heat your house with wood?'

Edit: also they sometimes try to get lawyer friends to remove a shooting range even though they got the land at 1/3 cost specifically because of the shooting range.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 1, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh, I dont have any neighbors like that.

This thread got off topic in a hurry.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I've decided to go with a moat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yes, it has to be 6 feet. The lab is 10 and can still almost make it over the 6 footer.

• Locked thread