Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hi
This poll is closed.
hey 28 39.44%
hows it going 43 60.56%
Total: 50 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

SarutosZero posted:

even if you read everything there is on pokemon, if dont pick the one that looks coolest to you then I dont know what to say

IIRC I got my rear end beat by pre-Victory Road Gary (I think I was under-leveled?) and restarted with Charmander cause I had major grass-is-greener syndrome after realizing how lame venusaur looked compared to Charizard, so yeah.

e: noobcheck:

Grakdesh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

mysterious loyall X posted:

or flying sparrow whatever.

thats every boss

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

SarutosZero posted:

even if you read everything there is on pokemon, if dont pick the one that looks coolest to you then I dont know what to say

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

for gen 3-5 I got really spergy about having the best team for all the gyms/elite four without wasting exp on pokemon I would level for a single gym and then stop using. I would go through all the pokemon used by the leaders/e4 and make a spreadsheet of their weaknesses and what they have super-effective moves against. then I would go through and build my team of 6 so that for every leader/e4 pokemon I could send out something that had a super-effective move while not being weak to anything the opponent had. I would constantly check it against what pokemon were available to me by that point in the game so I could do it all w/o trading

it was a weird time in my life

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Machai posted:

hmmmmm, how would someone know these things?

i had this and remember getting excited the first time I picked up an item off the world map and paging through the pokedex in the guide looking for a pokemon named ANTIDOTE

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

i have no perspective on dark souls bosses because on my first run i got bks and on my second i decided magic might be harder (it wasnt)

edit

i'm looking at tvtropes because why not and they're hilariously bad

-In God Hand, Gold and Silver, the Macho Camp duo that serve as the first Mini-Boss fight, quickly establish the rules for boss fights in that game — that they will suck royally for the player.
-In Prime 2, the Splinter fight in the Great Temple will wake your rear end up. It's a three-stage Sequential Boss; the first form is five Dark Splinters, the second an Alpha Splinter, and the third is the Dark Alpha Splinter. The first and third fights are laughably easy if done right, but if you haven't mastered circle strafing and dodging, the second form of that fight will tear you apart.
-Nine-Toes in Borderlands. While not too bad on his own, the two skags with him can be rather problematic if you've been coasting on firepower so far; they have a lot of health and are tough to take down without taking the time to aim for their weak points.
-In Chrono Trigger, the first boss, Yakra, can quite easily be brute-forced even if you don't understand the complexities of the combat system. The Dragon Tank that comes about an hour later, however, is a Wake Up Call Boss. Its parts must be attacked in a specific order (head, wheel, body), and as it can heal itself, you have to proceed intelligently rather than keep attacking until it dies.
-Unlike the preceding Bonne machines, The Marlwolf from Mega Man Legends will utterly Curb Stomp you if you're not ready. It's the first boss in the game that can use a shield-breaking move which not only homes in but has a huge hitbox, and you can only damage it by jumping on it's back and shooting through the door when it's open. It also comes early enough in the game that the only possible sub-weapons you can have are the useless grenade and mine arms, and the machine arm which only becomes useful after a lot of costly upgrades.

the last one owns because the mine arm is sick as hell and the marlwolf is almost a joke boss

im sorry you cant appreciate the complexities of chrono trigger's battle system, gamer

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RME posted:

im sorry you cant appreciate the complexities of chrono trigger's battle system, gamer

Chrono friend of the family!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Genova in Seiken Densetsu 3 stopped my progress for a good long while.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

No Such Thing posted:

Genova in Seiken Densetsu 3 stopped my progress for a good long while.

please tell me that once you finally beat it, bill and ben proceeded to kick your poo poo in

Dec 26, 2012

bill and ben werent terribly hard but they were one of the first few that could heap up damage fast enough to be dangerous

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
when youre playing metal gear solid and u fight vulcan raven ............................the gateway boss is the tripmines in the hallway

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

those motherfuckers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

when youre playing metal gear solid and u fight vulcan raven ............................the gateway boss is the tripmines in the hallway

the real mgs1 gateway boss is getting used to the controls

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

the real mgs1 gateway boss is getting used to the controls
i am a veritable mgs1 gymnast

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is listing every boss in 7th Saga enough or should I add the Apprentice's?

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

The Crying Table boss on floor 25 in Persona 3 is pretty rough if you don't have the right persona fused for it... its the case for a lot of floor bosses but that's the first one where you actually had to prepare.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blackheart posted:

those motherfuckers

These guys were only ever hard because you couldn't loving see them on a non-backlit GBA.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Valsu is not a gateway boss

Hes just a closed gate

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Norg from FF8 was a Gateway boss when I played it.

Mainly cause I was a moron and didn't pay attention to the pods.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

The apprentices were such a pain

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

your av's boss owns a lot and when I saw it for the first time I was like "hey that's someone on SA's av"

i don't know if he's a gateway boss but it's a really good boss

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Doctor Goat posted:

your av's boss owns a lot and when I saw it for the first time I was like "hey that's someone on SA's av"

which gaem?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Nuclear Throne, which is an amazing game

It and Crypt of the Necrodancer are by far the best two early access things on Steam and outdo a lot of finished games

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

learn to parry loving idiot

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Don't worry Monsoon will teach you

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
every Wind of Destruction in revengeance checks if you're good at a certain thing unless you're fighting sundowner and ignore his gimmick entirely

blade wolf is parrying, mistral is crowd control/dodging (sort of?), monsoon checks both, sundowner checks if you can handle slashing in specific directions, sam checks whether you can handle overwhelming offense w/ his fast comboing and his dashing throw thing, and also whether you can fight without your Y/Triangle moves, and armstrong kind of throws it all together

that might not be a gateway thing as much as it is the rare "good boss design" strat most game developers have thrown away

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

Oh yeah he was kind of a gateway boss for a bit. Until I found out how much the jackhammer can wreck him.

Doctor Goat posted:

sundowner checks if you can handle slashing in specific directions
Sundowner was either you learn how to slash precisely or just cheese him with defensive offense. Most used the latter.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've never beaten Chrono Cross because Miguel is pretty dang hard! Then again he's on like, disc 2 so maybe that doesn't count.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is kinda poo poo for games to prevent grinding and make bosses exist to exploit your crippled team. The level you got for beating the boss might be one more HP for a character until the next boss. Woo.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Here's where I had to start paying attention in CS

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Oh yeah he was kind of a gateway boss for a bit. Until I found out how much the jackhammer can wreck him.

Sundowner was either you learn how to slash precisely or just cheese him with defensive offense. Most used the latter.

Sundowner is my least favorite boss because the good second half is too short and the music changes during the overly long finishing move

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doctor Goat posted:

every Wind of Destruction in revengeance checks if you're good at a certain thing unless you're fighting sundowner and ignore his gimmick entirely

blade wolf is parrying, mistral is crowd control/dodging (sort of?), monsoon checks both, sundowner checks if you can handle slashing in specific directions, sam checks whether you can handle overwhelming offense w/ his fast comboing and his dashing throw thing, and also whether you can fight without your Y/Triangle moves, and armstrong kind of throws it all together

that might not be a gateway thing as much as it is the rare "good boss design" strat most game developers have thrown away

I loving love MG:R but I killed Blade Wolf and Mistral and am halfway to Monsoon and I still haven't learned to parry. I have to buy it from the store? lol

edit; I should mention I'm on the PC so IDK what the heck

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
You don't have to buy Parry, just press the joystick towards an enemy and hit slash and you block, do it at the right time for a parry

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

VisAbsoluta posted:

learn to parry loving idiot

it is a good thing when a game forces you to engage with it's systems rather than just letting you skate by

god bless you platinum

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

Here's where I had to start paying attention in CS

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Welcome to D2, cocksucker!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thuly posted:

yeah, from what i remember he's a DPS check with a little bit of "do you have life leech" thrown in.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it does suck if you're running a summoning necro and you get to duriel, esp without respecs, since all of your sources of damage disappear entirely and getting corpses between deaths becomes a pain in the rear end

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

sector_corrector posted:

it does suck if you're running a summoning necro and you get to duriel, esp without respecs, since all of your sources of damage disappear entirely and getting corpses between deaths becomes a pain in the rear end

This times infinity. I always ran summon necro (cuz it owns all the bones) and this boss was the hardest in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

thuly posted:

thankfully when i played d2 i had a strong enough computer and internet to not get hosed by the great area load bug

• Locked thread