Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

alnilam posted:

This parody makes me laugh every time. It really captures Kirschen's frothy rage that you can feel in his toons.

Uh, I think you goofed up. That's clearly a real Kirschen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

Yaakov Kirschen - Extremely old, extremely hateful American-born Israeli. He has been steadily employed for over 40 years, doing Dry Bones for the Jerusalem Post despite an eight-year-old’s talent. Hates Muslims with a fierce passion, and is obsessed with freeing the spy Johnathan Pollard from American prison. Had a stroke in late 2014 that seems to have made him even more paranoid and hateful, turning his gaze upon “traitorous” pro-Palestinian Jews.
Jerusalem Post

I am so goddamn proud that a cartoon I put together was used in the OP.:allears: I wanted one single Gay Abortion picture that showed just how loving crazy Kirschen has gotten over the past year, so I decided to combine all of Kirschen's "playing cards" into one single image of hatred. That picture would make a Nazi propagandist proud.

As a fun reminder, Johnathan Pollard is technically eligible for parole in November 2015.:getin: The US (more specifically, some of the various three letter US intelligence agencies) has indicated that any request for Pollard's release/parole will be met with "hahaha gently caress no" as a response, and Israel blew their one chance to get his freedom in April 2014. Back in April, the US offered Pollard to Israel as a way to keep Israel at the negotiating table with the Palestinians, and Israel said no (because Pollard is just something for Israel to complain about, they don't actually care about his freedom).

Kirschen had a different interpretation, of course:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 31, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

I pretty much already do this for Dees. Some others probably have de facto dedicated posters too but I never paid much attention to who posts what.

I follow Bennett, Bors, and Sorensen on Facebook, and I really like getting the scoop on their new cartoons and posting them before anyone else can, but I never really saw the need to formalize that :shrug:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It's probably more appropriate for the less well known and non-US cartoonists, as someone keeping an eye on those can provide context a bit more easily (for instance I wouldn't really know or care what was going on in the Canadian cartoons if whoever kept posting them wasn't explaining them). For the usual peanut gallery someone will get to them pretty quickly because it's fun to get the drop on this thread, so probably no need to worry about it.

I'll try to round up at least one or two Australian cartoonists doing decent work on Aboriginal or refugee issues this year and post regular updates if that's a possibility (it might not be possible because there might not be any).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't know why I keep coming back. The cartoons depress me, the few edits I do are poo poo, and there's so much poo poo that can't be handled.

And yet, here we go again.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
I don't know how things could possibly get worse.

But they're gonna.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I read every post of the last thread. I don't know why. I feel strange.

How many posts is that? So I can quantify this somehow internally and come to grips with it.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Jesus that's a lot of effort for an OP. Thanks Rorus, that's a fate no one should have to endure. I'm looking forward to the influx of incomprehensible but gorgeous (or horrifying) UK toons this year :unsmigghh:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

loquacius posted:

Happy New Year, thread! :toot:

Here's an inaugural Sorensen to celebrate Page 1.

Sorensen belongs in the OP. There's been a bunch of good stuff with her name on it, and the gay abortions were making me want to wish for happy fulfilling interracial marriages for some of the authors' children. Good things should be celebrated.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 31, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I read every post of the last thread. I don't know why. I feel strange.

How many posts is that? So I can quantify this somehow internally and come to grips with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sir Tonk posted:

Here, I made this Gorrell parody.

That's not a parody, it's plagiarism.

A useful resource for anyone seeking to understand Steve Bell. Which reminds me, I must get round to asking permission to post the lecture of his on the History of Political Cartoons that I recorded last November. It's good, you'll like it (even if you can hear me doing the Vader in the background).

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Amazing job with the OP, Rorus. From all the low-effort lurkers, many thanks for so much effort towards such saccharine entertainment. :tipshat:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Looking forward to lots of alcoholism-inducing 2015 political cartoons drawn by a bunch of dumb assholes.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I just realized that Kirschen is right next to Latuff in the OP.:v: Admittedly it's just because the OP lists the cartoonists by their last names in alphabetical order, but it's still funny as hell to me. Relatedly:

quote:

Carlos Latuff – Drew SSJ Goku assfucking Chilean president Sebastián Piñera.
That's SSJ3 Goku, thank you very much. You gotta get the power levels/shiny golden hair right.:colbert:
:nws:http://www.indybay.org/uploads/2011/06/06/goku_super_sayajin_pinera.gif:nws:

I remain rather amused that Latuff is familiar enough with DBZ to draw SSJ3 Goku so recognizably. Not to mention that even in his sillier cartoons, Latuff still puts a solid effort into what he's drawing, and makes the cartoon look as good as he can.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
Here's to another year of heavy drinking and continually finding out there is no such thing as "rock bottom."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Things about this year's header.
  • The thing in the window behind Bennett is Mount Spendmore.
  • The writing in the cartoon that isn't English is Greek...or Greek as translated by Google.
  • The writing above each door says...what else? "Benghazi" "Benghazi" "Benghazi"
  • The writing on the floor is DEBT.
  • The writing on Bennett's pants is roughly "Health Mess" since the original English wouldn't fit when directly translated.
  • The writing on below the thread title is Colossians 2:21, which in the King James Version is "Touch not; taste not; handle not"
  • Other weird jokes include Kirschen's "meal" which is the poor woman from this old Dry Bones parody, Gary McCoy is flipping off Bennett (while having a nice gas station pickle), and Bennett's meal appears to be some kind of chocolate pudding.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Why has the ensure been replaced by "SWEN"?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay! I'm back now for this thread since I was 40,000 posts behind on the other one and gently caress that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Holy poo poo, how did Xander get in that last post in the old thread, two hours after it closed? :stare:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

In case anyone wants them here are my toons from the past couple of years in one easy-to-find spot:

Big ones

2012:

2014:

Smaller things:

After reading this thread for six months I'll probably automatically spit out another big one but if anyone has any ideas that they'd like me to work on with them I will generally be down. I have to say I enjoyed working with Beeg and I think the extra collaboration makes for a better horrible monument to political cartooning that I could do alone.

Edit:

Forgot about this collaboration with Mr Beeg:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 1, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

kaschei posted:

Why has the ensure been replaced by "SWEN"?

Making fun of a time Cagle copy/pasted a bunch of news people and flipped them, but left the word NEWS unchanged so it was backwards.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When I was doing the edit I really wanted that rear end in there, but I didn't have to move the obligatory Korner Kelly, so I flipped it.

This, of course, flipped the Ensure logo. I was going to fix it, but then I remembered that this was originally from a Cagle cartoon, so I gave it a more fitting treatment.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Edits and other stuff I did last year

And for me to find again easily, this is a big version of the Nast's Labour/Capital that I stitched together

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Happy New Year!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

When I was doing the edit I really wanted that rear end in there, but I didn't have to move the obligatory Korner Kelly, so I flipped it.

This, of course, flipped the Ensure logo. I was going to fix it, but then I remembered that this was originally from a Cagle cartoon, so I gave it a more fitting treatment.

Ah yes, the old Cagle Oh-poo poo-is-it-a-deadline-already move. Draw a thing from last week, draw a thing from this week, copy-past ƧWƎИ Team

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
This was a pretty popular parody from last year. I later sold the original art on eBay to a German fan:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Which reminds me, we need a link to Lyapis Trubetskoy and his animated musical politoon.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

This is incredible and I've had this exact argument thrown at me again and again. Poor people have it easy what with deciding whether to eat or heat their houses, rich people have to worry about capital gains tax!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The two edits of mine from last year I thought were solid, but one is still sort of a gimme:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Added Sorensen to the OP. I have no idea how I missed her for so long :shrug:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rorus Raz posted:

Added Sorensen to the OP. I have no idea how I missed her for so long :shrug:

Any chance of getting McMillan in there for completeness? She hasn't done a lot recently but she's nearly on par with Latuff for how often you'll see her stuff at protests and scattered around any kind of indie site.

E: also she's just good clean fun.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 1, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Acid Haze posted:

I don't know how things could possibly get worse.

But they're gonna.

It's why I keep coming back. I shall bear witness.

I'm ready for a month of New Year's Predictions, lay it on me Tinsley!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mo_Steel posted:

It's why I keep coming back. I shall bear witness.

I'm ready for a month of New Year's Predictions, lay it on me Tinsley!

Personally I'm waiting for Kirschen's next rage-induced aneurisms.

The fact that Palestine just signed onto the ICC (International Criminal Court) and might soon actually be able to sue Israel for war crimes means some rather interesting Dry Bones could be in the works for the new year.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can't wait to see more Kirschen in the New Year. He's gone so off the deep end this year that he made trading cards that would fit right at home in an exhibit about Nazi propaganda I can't wait to see how he tops himself. Maybe calling for a final solution for the (fake)Jews who seek to undermine GermanyIsreal

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 1, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Request for the OP: Under the Gay Abortions explanation add links to at least the 2014 thread.. Unless it is linked somewhere and I'm blind and missed it.

Also, here is to another year of poo poo to waller in. Hooray.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

I was waiting for someone to make a cartoon about that.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
That extra 1/3 of a year really did a number on the CNN viewer.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Oh gently caress you right after that McCoy.

Edit:

This is meant to be ironic right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

itskage posted:

Oh gently caress you right after that McCoy.

Edit:

I agree, these are good goals that the president should strive for every year. He can always do better.

• Locked thread