Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

beepsandboops posted:

That extra 1/3 of a year really did a number on the CNN viewer.

Wolf Blitzer has that effect on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A new year brings new hope that MAYBE this year won't be full of as much hate and bile as 2014. I'm looking forward to the brief period of time before that hope is dashed, probably by Ramirez.

Mister Beeg posted:

The article doesn't mention why she was in jail: for stalking John Kricfalusi

Oh dear, this is the first thing that came into my head.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
my new year's resolution is to post more cartoons

A Country on Sale by André Carrilho, on Flickr

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:rip: informed citizen, dead at only 67 :(

Also, does Cagle understand how demographics work? In the simplest case, with readership and birth rate constant, the older readers would die and be replaced by younger ones, and the average age would remain the same.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

What does it say on Bennett's pants? (Health Reform Mess in Greek?)

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
For any of this to make sense, you must first understand that I truly despise myself. When I look into the mirror I see a wretched thing deserving of none of the niceties or joys that this mortal world might offer. What I am is only worthy of scorn and pain.
Once upon I time I sought a professional to help my find my pain. She advertised in the back pages of an alt-weekly paper. Her services were everything I deserved- pain, humiliation, degradation. Crushing my genitals with the high heel boots I bought her just for the occasion. Spitting on me, reminding me I would never find love because I don’t deserve it.
Then times weren’t good, and money was hard to come by, and I had to give up Mistress Lilith’s services. When the pain in my soul became too much, when I couldn’t stand even the sight of my own shadow anymore, I turned to steel. An old x-acto blade became my friend in those times, peeling back my skin, making me bleed and scream. Making me feel how I deserved.
But the blade left marks where others could see. The truth of what I am was out on display and they judged me. Their judgment was flawed- they didn’t see me as the wretched thing I am, but as a fellow soul- a human, of all things- in pain and in need of help. The warmth of their compassion was more than I could bear, more than a disgusting thing such as myself could ever deserve, and it only made me hate myself more.
What to do though? How could I punish myself, how could I scourge the dark mass of my heart without them ever finding out again?
And that was when I was delivered. That was when I found my pain. That was when I found the unbearable agony I so richly deserve. I found it here, in this forum, and the demons sent to flay me bore names like Ramirez and Rall, Muir and McCoy. At last I have found my home, the filth I deserve to drown in. Each comic posted reminds me of how disgusting I really am, how much I deserve to suffer.
So thank you, one and all, who post these visual blades, which cut me far more intimately than any mortal steel ever could. This is the thread I deserve.
Happy New Year, you disgusting freaks.

And now, some content:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

15 Now at that feast the governor was wont to release unto the people a prisoner, whom they would. 16 And they had then a notable prisoner, called Jonathan Pollard. 17 Therefore when they were gathered together, Obama said unto them, Whom will ye that I release unto you? Pollard, or Philip Robertson which is called Redneck? 18 For he knew that for envy they had delivered him.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 1, 2015

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

A lot of Bagley cartoons go overlooked in this thread. As Salt Lake guy who follows him on Facebook/Twitter, I can post his cartoons when they go overlooked. The thread usually misses a good 1/4th of them.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If only there were some other source for news other than TV or printed newspapers. Oh well :rip:

Also, way to remind the people that you're pandering to that they'll be loving dead in 10 years.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

If only there were some other source for news other than TV or printed newspapers. Oh well :rip:

Also, way to remind the people that you're pandering to that they'll be loving dead in 10 years.
Oliphant, while he can be a poo poo at times, gave an interesting interview just this September saying say he has had cartoons rejected by his editor because they didn't get references he made to Johnny Appleseed and Hamlet.

I don't know if he meant his editor specifically didn't get it, or his editor just thought Oliphant's audience wouldn't get it. I don't consider myself well-read, but I didn't think John Chapman and Shakespeare would be foreign to the kind of people that would read Oliphant's cartoons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rorus Raz posted:

Political PBF: Some unknown genius is taking old PBF strips and turning them into political cartoons. It's a lot better than it sounds.

I hadn't looked at this for awhile:

:stwoon:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on UN climate change talks – All leaders must rise to the challenge for December 2015, warns outgoing EU climate chief"

Independent:

Tony Blair says Labour 'left-wing' warning 'misinterpreted'

Times:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Liberals commit great heresy. An Inquisition Cartoon.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm not normally a fan of This Modern World's verboseness, but I do like the end of the year comics. Helps remind me of so much awful poo poo I forgot about or somehow convinced myself that it was years ago.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 1, 2015

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

These are all far too amazing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mister Beeg posted:

And so it begins...

Reposting this from the last thread: A cartoonist was sent to jail for two months, and drew cartoons while there, documenting her experience. The LA Weekly just published it.

The article doesn't mention why she was in jail: for stalking John Kricfalusi

Interesting though I find it difficult to feel sympathy for the author given that 1) she was guilty of the crime that got her convicted 2) she likes John Krisfalusi, which should be a crime in itself.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Added Tom Tomorrow/This Modern World to the OP.

I am stunned that I got asked to put Henry and Hope and loving Change to the OP before people like Sorensen and Tomorrow. This thread has warped us.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Added Tom Tomorrow/This Modern World to the OP.

I am stunned that I got asked to put Henry and Hope and loving Change to the OP before people like Sorensen and Tomorrow. This thread has warped us.

Thank you for doing that, by the way, Rorus.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

"Chianti-ti-ti".. Uh, is that supposed to reference the slither-slurping sound Lecter makes after delivering the same line? Try again, ranch hand.

By the way, I just adore the way he has his characters converse with each other in newspaper-speak: "Psychologist Martin Newburn calls it.." "Hey Sam, Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) stated yesterday..."
Also, OMG WTF

MokBa posted:

A lot of Bagley cartoons go overlooked in this thread. As Salt Lake guy who follows him on Facebook/Twitter, I can post his cartoons when they go overlooked. The thread usually misses a good 1/4th of them.

I was kind of thinking this would be a neat idea - post cartoons from your local guy.
For me, that would be Mike Smith, of the Las Vegas Sun, the left leaning, but waaaay-second fiddle to the much more popular and conservative Las Vegas Review-Journal. The R-J doesn't seem to have a resident cartoonist. Lately, they've been publishing some by some dude named F. Andrew Taylor, whose work is pretty apolitical and bland:

Smith has been around for a good long while, and is definitely the better cartoonist of the two, art-wise, though his subjects also veer to the beige side:

He does a bit better at routine-stand-up jokes:

And finally, how the heck did 'I Farted' miss the OP. That was like, the single greatest political cartoon of the year!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

alnilam posted:

:rip: informed citizen, dead at only 67 :(

Also, does Cagle understand how demographics work? In the simplest case, with readership and birth rate constant, the older readers would die and be replaced by younger ones, and the average age would remain the same.
What do you mean, I published this online but neglected to include demographics for people who read newspapers online? Shut up, they're not informed voters like Fox News watchers!

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 18, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

For fucks sake Muir, Lecter didn't wear a hockey mask, that was Jason Voorhes. Hannibal Lecter wore a bite guard. In one loving scene.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Re the OP: Might be time to move Ben Sargent to the retired section. I haven't seen an official announcement but I also can't find any new toons by him since August.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rorus Raz posted:

Things about this year's header.
  • The thing in the window behind Bennett is Mount Spendmore.
  • The writing in the cartoon that isn't English is Greek...or Greek as translated by Google.
  • The writing above each door says...what else? "Benghazi" "Benghazi" "Benghazi"
  • The writing on the floor is DEBT.
  • The writing on Bennett's pants is roughly "Health Mess" since the original English wouldn't fit when directly translated.
  • The writing on below the thread title is Colossians 2:21, which in the King James Version is "Touch not; taste not; handle not"
  • Other weird jokes include Kirschen's "meal" which is the poor woman from this old Dry Bones parody, Gary McCoy is flipping off Bennett (while having a nice gas station pickle), and Bennett's meal appears to be some kind of chocolate pudding.

I also see Bors' cute little fetus in front of Gay Abortions donkey, and of course Obama has a dog on his plate, as well as Lester holding the rainbow tie.

Two I don't get though: who's the guy holding the glue between Lester and Kirschen, and what's that on Ramirez's ham, is it the "Okay!" Rall face?

Also just noticed blow up doll waifu poking out of the bottom of Muir's robe.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I was trying to see if there were any local(ish) cartoonists that I could add to the thread, but the only ones I could find were Bob Lang who seems to have stopped editorial cartooning in 2011 and the Indy Star's thread favorite Varvel. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw an editorial cartoon in a newspaper around here (other than Tinsley, that is.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The guy between Lester and Kirschen is Gorrell. That is his self-portrait only I added some droopy eyes to it because of course the only thing he put effort into was his own vain rear end.

Why he is holding glue should be self-explanatory.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I decided to check our local paper, but it's a piece of poo poo and doesn't have any local cartoonists. We just get whatever garbage they decide to run from the Gannett Group (usually stuff from Phoenix, Louisville, Indianapolis, etc.) Here's some cartoons:

I liked this one. This is Steve Benson, who does cartoons for the Arizona Republic, the major newspaper in Phoenix.

This is Andy Marlette, from the Pensacola News Journal. His stuff is generic milquetoast liberal stuff, but I thought the thread would appreciate these.

Here's Marshall Ramsey from the Clarion Ledger, which is based out of Jackson, Mississippi.

Mike Thompson of the Detroit Free Press. I like it. (Note: The Free Press' website is actually Freep.com, which confused the poo poo out of me).

Someone was paid for this, and that someone is Roger Harvell of Greenville, South Carolina.

I don't know what the gently caress this is but Varvel made it.

Marc Murphy of the Louisville Courier-Journal. His stuff is mostly of the "A Thing Happened" variety.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

majormonotone posted:

Someone was paid for this, and that someone is Roger Harvell of Greenville, South Carolina.

Makes sense he'd be upset. Greenville is right in range of those Soviet MRBMs in Cuba.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I always get sad whenever I hear about political PBF because it makes me think of a version I saw of this this image where the kids were the U.N., Israel was the egg and the house was the Middle East and I have never been able to find it since then.

While I'm here I should probably post a cartoon. This is an old one but it's one of my favourites. The best part is that it never stops being relevant. Could have easily been a 2014 one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I am unsatisfied with only a reference to "I LOOOVE DEATH" in the OP, so here it is so I can find it again at will:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kaislioc posted:

I always get sad whenever I hear about political PBF because it makes me think of a version I saw of this this image where the kids were the U.N., Israel was the egg and the house was the Middle East and I have never been able to find it since then.

Bonus:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I looked for a "Martin Newburn". Got nothing. Looked up "Psychologist Martin Newburn" and found got hits for a "Marlin Newburn", a purported former prison psychologist who was sourced for a World Net Daily article about race baiting and how those blacks love to do it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

majormonotone posted:

I don't know what the gently caress this is but Varvel made it.

That's actually pretty neat. Never would've thought Varvel had those kinds of chops.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

majormonotone posted:

I decided to check our local paper, but it's a piece of poo poo and doesn't have any local cartoonists. We just get whatever garbage they decide to run from the Gannett Group (usually stuff from Phoenix, Louisville, Indianapolis, etc.) Here's some cartoons:

I liked this one. This is Steve Benson, who does cartoons for the Arizona Republic, the major newspaper in Phoenix.

Benson used to be a big-time Right Wing Mormon, but he became an Atheist and started doing lefty stuff.

Bagely's an ex-Mormon, too, but given that he lives in Salt Lake City...

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Mister Beeg posted:

Benson used to be a big-time Right Wing Mormon, but he became an Atheist and started doing lefty stuff.

Bagely's an ex-Mormon, too, but given that he lives in Salt Lake City...

Apparently he's won a Pulitzer as well. His stuff's pretty good, so I'll try to post him regularly.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Boy, Mr. Dink really let himself go.

"I just had my entire body surgically removed! Very expensive!"

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Oh, gently caress you, Muir, gently caress you. If you knew enough about Munchausen's Syndrome to quote a credible psychologist, you would know that reputable doctors call it factitious disorder. That aside from the fact that everything else about this comic is wrong in every possible way.

As for local cartoonists, my local paper ran a cool retrospective of Dwayne Powell's NC legislature cartoons from this year. I've never actually paid close attention to his cartoons, because the cartoonist in the paper that actually gets delivered to my house just draws hideous rams with Gosse-style labels, but Powell seems to be a GOP critic who's into goofy-looking mastodons and eldritch caricatures, so I'd be down to post him if people are interested. He's got a fun style and a flair for imagery.
Here's a little sample, and there are a ton more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/powell/

In July, it was revealed that NC's state budget director Art Pope had been donating a massive amount of money to conservative campaigns and PACs through his family while preaching a hypocritical "finance reform" line.

This one's pretty self-explanatory ... there's been separate laws passed by the NC house and senate requiring Duke Energy to clean up its coal ash waste ponds. Neither bill addresses how the clean-up will be paid for (presumably by rate hikes to Duke Energy's customers, which is obviously contentious).

Here you can see Powell's charming mastodons. I'm also loving the 3-D flat earth map and the nib pen landing on the falconer's glove. The guy with the SEN bag is Senate Pres. Pro-Tem Phil Bergman, and smiley is House Majority Leader (and future US Senator!) Thom Tillis.

Here's Bergman and (a slightly more demented) Tillis again. The guy in the trunk is Skip Stam, notable rear end in a top hat from Wake County who I've had the displeasure of meeting in person, and who made me cry when I was 14 on a lobbying trip to the NC legislature! (Please ignore the weathervane ... or at least only admire its charming resemblance to Attorney General Roy Cooper.)

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

voltroon posted:

Here's Bergman and (a slightly more demented) Tillis again. The guy in the trunk is Skip Stam, notable rear end in a top hat from Wake County who I've had the displeasure of meeting in person, and who made me cry when I was 14 on a lobbying trip to the NC legislature! (Please ignore the weathervane ... or at least only admire its charming resemblance to Attorney General Roy Cooper.)

That weather vane is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Nooooo, not a weather vane so early in the thread. It's too sooooon...

Odonata posted:

And now, some content:

:words:

• Locked thread