Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Mr. Squishy posted:

That was a joke, you nimrod.

Huh, you always think :thejoke: can't happen to you until it does.

E: Have a lovely cartoon as penance.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Doing God's posting.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jay Rust posted:

Marty Two Bulls has done a bunch of diabetes-related cartoons, and has been drawing them for years. Here's a selection:

Mr Butts would like a word.

quote:

:smith:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I don't know who Pat is, but his fans seem to have some pretty gnarly kyphosis.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does this mean Gore is Captain America?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I'm not sure on the context on that two bulls but I'm gonna guess diabetes is becoming an issue in tribal areas because of easy access to junk food and a general lack of care for their health.

Ever seen some of the tribal reservations? Alcoholism rates tend to be much higher and they are often food deserts.
http://apps.ams.usda.gov/fooddeserts/fooddeserts.aspx

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Not My Leg posted:

It's not referring to console generations, it's referring to the Native American principle (apparently originating with the Iroquois Constitution, but more generally adopted by many Tribal Nations) that decisions should be made in consideration of the impact the decision will have seven generations down. Basically, he's using it as shorthand for "won't somebody think of the children."

Maybe it has a secondary connection to 7th generation consoles, but I'm skeptical given the context of the phrase.

EDIT: Be right back. Going to post my response in the Idiots on Social Media thread.

I feel all of shame, disgust and pride at this.
Mostly the former 2.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't know who Pat is, but his fans seem to have some pretty gnarly kyphosis.

they're just emulating Pat

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"Who's the fairest one of all?" A good cartoon.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Not My Leg posted:

Huh, you always think :thejoke: can't happen to you until it does.

E: Have a lovely cartoon as penance.

The other shoe drops. Then the other shoe. Then the other. *names one 'scandal'*

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:drat:

But there aren't nearly enough skulls in the skull pile.:smithicide:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Does this mean Gore is Captain America?
Worse: Encino Man

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

I didn't even know HBO was owned by Time Warner. That would explain why they couldn't get HBO Now to work, and had to contract it out to Major League Baseball.

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Worse: Encino Man

Gore/Shore 2016

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

There's been a lot of huff over this but frankly A) it "moved to HBO" with everything being broadcast nine months later on PBS anyway and B) It would not have been made any more if HBO hadn't funded it.

The number TWELVE or say the concept of sharing doesn't age out of relevance. It literally does not matter if kids see the brand newest episode immediately because you could show them a Sesame Street from 1984 and it would still be pertinent. Target audience doesn't care, material doesn't age, taxpayers didn't want to fund CTW, this is a win win win that is only distasteful at the most superficial "Rah rah privatization bad" level.

If re-runs aren't still available on PBS or whatever, then I'd say it's a bigger issue but I haven't seen anything about retention of prior material or exclusivity/syndication involved in the deal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

whitey delenda est posted:

There's been a lot of huff over this but frankly A) it "moved to HBO" with everything being broadcast nine months later on PBS anyway and B) It would not have been made any more if HBO hadn't funded it.

The number TWELVE or say the concept of sharing doesn't age out of relevance. It literally does not matter if kids see the brand newest episode immediately because you could show them a Sesame Street from 1984 and it would still be pertinent. Target audience doesn't care, material doesn't age, taxpayers didn't want to fund CTW, this is a win win win that is only distasteful at the most superficial "Rah rah privatization bad" level.

If re-runs aren't still available on PBS or whatever, then I'd say it's a bigger issue but I haven't seen anything about retention of prior material or exclusivity/syndication involved in the deal.

The problem is, though, that PBS's one last shield against getting completely gutted by the GOP (well, moreso than they already have, it's one of the major factors driving my father out of the business) has always been Sesame Street (well, since Fred Rogers passed, but that's beside the point), because no politician wants to be known as the guy who killed Big Bird. Basically, this means PBS is really in the crosshairs now.

Basically

but with puppets and less financial impropriety.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

whitey delenda est posted:

If I had kids I'd make sure they spoiled Sesame Street for the other kids the same way I spoil GoT and True Detective to coworkers. Start em early!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Allen Wren posted:

The problem is, though, that PBS's one last shield against getting completely gutted by the GOP (well, moreso than they already have, it's one of the major factors driving my father out of the business) has always been Sesame Street (well, since Fred Rogers passed, but that's beside the point), because no politician wants to be known as the guy who killed Big Bird. Basically, this means PBS is really in the crosshairs now.

Basically

but with puppets and less financial impropriety.

Hmm I hadn't thought of this but it totally makes sense. Starving the beast works really well!

:smith:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not quite able to tell whether this is pro- or anti-embargo (the part about the cigars being the only benefit of dropping it seems oddly pro-embargo for Bors :raise:) so I'm just gonna assume it's making fun of the way some people I don't know and have never talked to are discussing the embargo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's making fun of the fact that people's knowledge of Cuba starts and stops with cigars.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Also people yelling HUMAN RIGHTS RECORD as if they suddenly cared about it without a hint of self-awareness.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

I'm not quite able to tell whether this is pro- or anti-embargo (the part about the cigars being the only benefit of dropping it seems oddly pro-embargo for Bors :raise:) so I'm just gonna assume it's making fun of the way some people I don't know and have never talked to are discussing the embargo

It's hypocritical that the US condemns Cuba's human rights violations when the US itself tortures and holds people without trial, ironically, in an annexed part of Cuba.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's hypocritical that the US condemns Cuba's human rights violations when the US itself tortures and holds people without trial, ironically, in an annexed part of Cuba.

Leased. We've been dutifully writing them checks that they haven't bothered to cash since the revolution.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

It's making fun of the fact that people's knowledge of Cuba starts and stops with cigars.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Also people yelling HUMAN RIGHTS RECORD as if they suddenly cared about it without a hint of self-awareness.

Got it, hypothesis confirmed then

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Zeroisanumber posted:

Leased. We've been dutifully writing them checks that they haven't bothered to cash since the revolution.

For literally $4000/year

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ThePeavstenator posted:

For literally $4000/year

Rent Control is great.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ThePeavstenator posted:

For literally $4000/year

From a certain point of view the Cubans got a pretty good deal out of it. Gitmo gave the US a naval station on Cuba, but it also kept the negotiated US military footprint on Cuba relatively small considering their proximity and the fact that we've thought about annexing the whole island and making it a state at least a few times.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Is that right? I thought the embargo was being lifted. It seems... contradictory to have an embargo against a country and normal diplomatic relations at the same time.

quote:

From a certain point of view the Cubans got a pretty good deal out of it. Gitmo gave the US a naval station on Cuba, but it also kept the US military footprint on Cuba relatively small considering their proximity and the fact that we've thought about annexing the whole island and making it a state at least a few times.

Also, I would guess "Yankee soldiers on our island!" is useful propaganda for Castro, in the same way that bases in Saudi Arabia was for Al-Qaeda.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
"Hands up, don't interrupt" is great

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
¡PLOP!, extreme sport edition

:agreed:, unironically.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Henry :downs:

Henry :saddowns:

Henry :gonk:

Henry :negative:

Henry :suicide:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jurgan posted:

Is that right? I thought the embargo was being lifted. It seems... contradictory to have an embargo against a country and normal diplomatic relations at the same time.

Diplomatic relations are controlled by the Executive branch alone, the embargo was enacted by Congress.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Unironically wish

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Between the huge fat guy and DEBT, it's like some kind of Ramirez/Delonas collaboration.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Actually I think you'll find most Republican lawmakers want aborted foetal tissue to go home with the mother in a bassinet.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Bors was asking twitter for a euphemism for mass invasion on twitter and was going to put the best one in a comic. Has he made that comic yet? I've been looking but I haven't seen it and it's been a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

colonel_korn posted:

Between the huge fat guy and DEBT, it's like some kind of Ramirez/Delonas collaboration.

What brought this on? Does Ramirez just hate Puerto Rico?

• Locked thread