Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

That's... pretty bad.

By comparison it's 81 (79.5 men, 82.5 women) in the UK for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I'm still trying to figure out how that would be a "costume". Do you have to go around on Halloween night reciting the little rhyme to everyone you meet?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Suitaru posted:

The joke is that she responds to all the acronyms with an acronym of her own. But "lolz" isn't itself an acronym, it's a terrible Internet conjugation of the acronym for "laugh out loud." The hell does the Z stand for? Or maybe I'm not up to date with Muir's hip lingo, perhaps "LOLZ" stands for something else entirely. Probably about Zed. Or maybe he hosed up his own joke, who knows?

Also, lolz or lulz is a (plurale tantum) noun, not a verb.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

southpaugh posted:

Not a cartoon but relevant to your story. You should basically never talk to cops, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

He starts the video with "I am proud to admit that I will never talk to any police officer", then at 8:44 what does he do? He talks to a police officer. Can't even keep his own promise.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

The joke would even run better if he just split up the first two parts like so, instead of giving Boehner a pointless extra line:

Elephant: Congratulations Mr. Speaker. Here's a little token of our admiration.
Boehner: A spine?

(Of course, as noted, the best option would be to draw the spine recognizably in the first place.)

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You know you're talking about a guy who forgot what skin color his character was supposed to have right?

Let's not forget that in November of 2010 he decided that his imaginary wife, the middle-aged woman who has a rock-solid body and is constantly drinking beer and grilling steaks, is the sort of person who never exercises and considers exercise to be an alien concept:

... even though in the early days of the strip, when he was still trying to write her as an actual human woman, he would draw things like this:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Wales Grey posted:

I'm fairly certain Ramirez has never drawn a Martin B-12 for a political cartoon. In the cartoon you're thinking of, Ramirez drew a Boeing B-29 in exacting detail, even getting the arrangement of the glass panels on the nose correct. B-29s are what dropped the atomic bombs, B-10/12/13/14 is only really noteworthy for being the first mass-produced bomber the USAF used that was faster than contemporary USAF fighters. It didn't do much before being displaced by the B-17 and B-18, however.

I will agree that Ramirez is has a modicum of talent in rendering mechanical things, but his skills are overshadowed by his repugnant caricatures and repulsive politics.

This is a great post

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

snakeandbake posted:

Can we please stick to posting retarded opinions in cartoon format please.

GODDAMMIT WHY DOES MUIR WRITE "QUEDA"?

WHY THE gently caress DOES HE WRITE "QUEDA"?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

He changed the attribution from "UN speech" to "motivational speaker" for whatever reason.

He also changed the dude's headgear.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It's a good thing Tim Kreider has never done anything racially questionable! From "What Now for the Giant Squid", Oct. 5, 2005:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It's a good thing Tim Kreider never drew anything that could be interpreted as insulting by Muslims

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

What if Tim Kreider had once drawn something that called for violence against an Arab country?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Stefu posted:

So if someone killed Kreider then surely goons would just concentrate on reposting those three cartoons over and over and over again instead of all of his other work because certainly he was no angel

Yeah that's what I was going for by posting them

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Super Saiyan Mr. T posted:

I've been looking at that DbD for a solid 5 minutes trying to visually parse that second panel. Is Black Mouthpiece trying to gently caress the bedsheets? Is he trying to lift Token Liberal's legs? I know it's a thread meme to make fun of Muir's art but that's a level of "What the gently caress am I looking at" that I haven't had in a long time.

I'm absolutely stumped too. Anyone have any ideas?

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 12, 2015

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

djw175 posted:

That's his back. He's sitting up on the bed. It's horribly drawn, but I'm used to parsing deviantart drawings so I could figure it out.

Oh wait, so she's got a sheet lying across her abdomen and she's not bending over backwards around some kind of object like my eyes kept interpreting it as?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It took me a couple of reads to realize this was another of Tinsley's attempts at a little rhyme.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Portals posted:

Muir is turning more and more into :mrapig: every day.

I think she's gonna need more than just a cold drink to deal with that sunburn.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I don't think Muir has kept his promise to show us Zed's zchlong yet

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

No, "Jonathan Goodluck" is not the president of Nigeria. Goodluck Jonathan is the president of Nigeria, and he doesn't have quotation marks around his name.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

CampingCarl posted:

I need an explanation for this one. She asked him just to stress test?

She's "poo poo testing" him (as the MRAs call it) by asking him for something he doesn't want while she's naked and looking hot. It helps to know that if you go to his website and click on the comic, it takes you to this MRA article on "female super poo poo tests" that those evil evil women engage in.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Garrand posted:

Oh god why did I travel down that rabbit hole.

I did learn a new word, though: slore. You can probably guess what that is coming from a PUA site.

I'd actually forgotten that Heartiste is a PUA site and not just MRA stuff. (I know about Heartiste from We Hunted The Mammoth, a site that makes fun of MRA websites.) I'm surprised Muir still reads PUA sites since he has also given props to the Men Going Their Own Way thing. (Women who find out about MGTOW are usually like "so why don't they just loving go already?")

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Which prophets are these two guys supposed to be?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Portals posted:

Censored:

"Were the Wright brothers gender-confused?" Go gently caress yourself, Muir.

I'm still :psyduck: over this comment on that Day By Day strip (and yes, I'm familiar with the old "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" joke)

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

This was the entire Day By Day miscarriage storyline that people were talking about on the last page:

May 9, 2011

...then there was an unrelated strip hoping that Sarah Palin would run for president in 2012...

May 11, 2011

...then there were two unrelated strips about (1) Obama EPA regulations destroying the economy and (2) the Personal Localized Alerting Network proposal...

May 14, 2011

...then there were four unrelated strips about (1) Obama reading The Post-American World, (2) the Barnes v. Indiana court case, (3) further hope that Sarah Palin would run for president, and (4) Obama allegedly creating public-sector jobs and destroying private-sector jobs...

May 19, 2011

...then there were three unrelated strips about (1) liberals being racist against Herman Cain and Allen West, (2) Obama trying to destroy Israel by pushing for the 1967 borders, and (3) Sarah Palin sneaking in to Obama's Roman imperial court to threaten his reign as emperor.

Then we reached the days-long "Sam and Jan getting drunk together" storyline, and only at the end of it do we realize they were drinking to forget the miscarriage:

May 23-28, 2011

From there the strip went straight on to making fun of Anthony Weiner, complete with Sam accidentally sending a nude photo of herself to everyone she knows, and then the infamous "transparent dress at the opera" storyline.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Pat Peale, of the Texas Federation of Republican Women, widow of big-shot aerospace executive Mundy Ingalls Peale Jr.

You know, one of those salt-of-the-earth just plain folks.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh my god are you serious, that's TFRW's Peale?

Yeah you can see the photo with the original Reuters caption here: http://www.npr.org/politics/convention2004/diary.html

If you know who Morton C. Blackwell is, well, he was the one who was passing out the purple heart bandages for the delegates to wear.

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 10, 2015

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

"Chelsa"

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I too have seen those Saturday Night Live sketches that started running 27 years ago

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Vanir85 posted:

I love how Muir actually portrays a main character as more of a mysogynist than the ebil terorrist he claims to hate. I guess he really does see sexism as a positive trait.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Chris, Chris, Chris... it was never Barn Depot, it was The Home Depot, then it was The Home Depo, then it was Home Depo, then it was Home Barn. Of course that was the last private-sector job Zed held, and he was only able to keep it by calling his wife on the phone so she could do his job for him remotely, even though of course she's only useful as a sexy broodmare.

December 28, 2007

January 2, 2008

January 5, 2008

March 5, 2008

August 5, 2008

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Chappaquiddick and Jane Fonda's visit to Hanoi both happened within the last six weeks or so to American conservatives

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Whatcha doin', Sam and Skye? Oh, just squattin' around in the living room.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had to look up "mitsuzukeru" and I guess it's to gaze at...but what?

I googled for "o mi tsudzukeru" and found a bunch of transliterated anime lyrics containing the phrase "yume o mi tsudzukeru", which presumably should be "yume o mitsuzukeru" (literally "continue looking at that dream", but in English we would say "keep dreaming that dream").

Maybe Muir stumbled on that "o mi tsudzukeru" construction and thought it meant "continue doing [something]" because he didn't get that the "mi" part was supposed to be part of the verb, and he substituted "sore" ("that") in an attempt to have the mom say "continue doing that" (i.e. the breast pumping that Skye is sick of doing).

Muir Whisperer out

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sir Rolo posted:

"It calls it. Skye?"

"It's why you are, and he ain't, dad."

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

I am guessing he means "dead to rights" which basically means "spot on" or in Cousin Vinny terms "dead-on balls accurate".

Either Muir is an idiot or he is an idiot that is trying to make these characters more down home folksy by butchering their language.

Similarly, I think the "it calls it" means that the sign (identifying their location as the Double D Ranch) "calls it like it sees it", which then lets Muir do some poker call wordplay, but I was flummoxed by the abbreviated phrase "it calls it" at first. And I'm still not certain that I'm interpreting it right.

For those confused by giving the ranch a name like "Double D", I should note that there's some cultural resonance to using "Double [some letter]" in ranch names because it describes what the cattle brand looks like. For example, beloved mid-20th-century singin' TV cowboy Roy Rogers had the "Double R Bar Ranch", whose name indicated that the cattle brand was two Rs together with a horizontal bar at the bottom:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Muir's tit poo poo is driving me crazy. It's way more of an insight into his sexual fetishism than we need.

I'm mildly amused by the "it calls it" thing because it conveys the idea of the sign at the ranch entrance automatically changing its name to "Double D" when it saw Muiry Sue's stable of boobiferous dairy-cow imaginary girlfriends showing up.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

TheMaskedChemist posted:

That homework assignment based on one of Bennet's cartoons made it on to Fox News this morning.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/02/23/wisconsin-dad-furious-about-sons-immigration-assignment-bashes-gop

Also on that page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

"It's cold here in the states, Sam" -- a woman who has just arrived in Brewster County, Texas (where it got up to 69°F/21°C today) from Buenos Aires (where it's 79°F/26°C right now). Jan must be more temperature sensitive than I'd guessed.

(Granted, it's colder in Brewster County at nighttime because that's how the desert works, but it's clearly daytime in that strip.)

• Locked thread