Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

McDowell posted:

The cross and halo made from crosshairs is a nice touch.

Excellent catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

I feel truly privileged to see this JRRose! political cartoon. Just to live in a time with JRRose! is a treat.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

I think the weirdest part is that the contemptible caricature gained hair over those five years. You would think he would be an irrelevant geezer in the 2015 panel, but no, switching from an iPhone to a watch did wonders for his complexion and hairline.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I've always had a knack for understanding muir-ian, both the literal text and the meaning, but I generally avoid doing so because his comic are gently caress ugly and stupid. But here we go:
"I saw a woman down at the lake with tattoos-"
"That's Skye."
"She's beautiful, why did she get all those tattoos?"
"She uses them as a way to stand out, and show that she's dangerous."
"I don't think that's true."

It's like No Fear Shakespeare, but with more lasting cultural value.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Argh this is all over the social media but the third panel kills me.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

I kind of like this one. "Membership in the Eurozone is the only thing keeping Greece's dick from flapping embarrassingly in the wind."

That would be a fun visual pun illustrating what is at least a cogent argument, if he didn't poo poo it up with the rest of the cartoon. Like, if the fig leaf is the EU and the discus is Greece, then who is the guy?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Narciss posted:

Bill Clinton was under serious investigation for sexual assault (the Paula Jones case), but congrats on buying into the "hehe its just a blowjob thats our Clinton for you!" spin.

Lester was the one to use the word "affair" instead of "rape allegations." The spin is coming from inside the cartoons.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Post 9-11 User posted:

Wait, gay marriage and Greece trying to reject this IMF scam is the worst news of their lifetimes? Queers making families: worse than Pearl Harbor, Iran our mortal enemy, more news at eleven. :psyduck:

Don't forget that the ACA got upheld again. The culmination of a long-running and highly if incrementally successful social reform movement and the 57th time the ACA survived a challenge made for the worst news of their lifetimes.

Anyway, do they only get naked during the fundraisers? I remember the time the one had to humiliate the other by making her wear a sheer whatsis to the opera, but otherwise the tits are for special occasions right?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

But if he doesn't drink... What did Muir trace?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Mr. Squishy posted:

"man drinking old fashioned" and then just covered the head with a smear of gold.

Actually looking at the other hand I think it might be "grievously wounded crab person drinking an old fashioned."

Also a virgin old fashioned is bitters and sugar water.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Rorus Raz posted:

The IMPORTANT thing is how this affects me! Jesus christ, go gently caress yourself Rall.

God, Rall, why do you have to be such a piece of poo poo about making an otherwise cogent point?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Allen West posted this thing:

Allen West posted:

White House just announced it will seek to accept 10,000 refugees from Syria. Just a numbers check, between 2008-2013 America accepted 115,617 refugees from the Middle East, 10,026 have been granted asylum. Of that overall number 90% are on food stamps and 70% are on cash welfare. Yet, as we have reported, Christians fleeing ISIS and the deplorable situation in the Middle East are being denied entry into America. I'm a sympathetic fella but only offer a small warning, beware the Trojan Horse of Al Hijra.

There's a lot going on there.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

sinking belle posted:

What I'm saying is that this is – honestly – the first time I've seen anyone do that, and that says something about the shift in consciousness that's occurred over the years since 9/11. What, though, I'm not entirely sure.

And yet I've seen it on trucker hats.

Just a trucker hat that says "9/[Image of the towers]"

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

alnilam posted:

Okay gentlemen, final vote on how we're to communicate with our sister cells. All for nearly unbreakable and fairly straightforward PGP encryption on our emails? None? All for clandestine person to person communication? One, thank you James. Okay, all for cryptic, public clues peppered throughout popular culture? Well looks like the ayes have it.

They're right. PGP is soooooo much work to implement. And then you get Hillary starting up with her private e-mail servers...

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

It's just that there's no metaphor there. If the line were "we'll let the velociraptors have razor sharp claws" there would be a metaphor. This is just one thing talking about another thing with no real logical thread connecting them.

It's like if every time you saw something physically big, no matter that it might be, you thought "hah like the national debt is numerically."

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Angepain posted:

Combine this with destroying WTC7 being the whole point and you get a plan whose whole purpose is to destroy the records of the plan itself. This I'd happily believe as I have a thing for recursion.

A certain breed of truther would even take pride in the whole thing, because you would only ever need to destroy the plans so thoroughly if you knew that someone was hot on the trail, this close to blowing it all wide open.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Eschers Basement posted:

then sued to claim double that double because it was hit by two planes, so it should be counted as having been destroyed twice by terrorist attack.

Jesus. What a greedy little Eichmann.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

D.N. Nation posted:

That's some mighty fine anatomy-ing, Rall.

I didn't know there was a 60s Batman cast reunion and that they had all been elected to high office since then.

'Cause their wildly deformed limbs make it look like they're doing the bat-toussie.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

DarklyDreaming posted:

Something something teachers suck something something unions.

I always see "NEA" and think "National Endowment for the Arts" first. I was really hoping Tinsley was rejected for some grant and we were going to get a week of "why is modern art art but political duck cartooning is not!"

"Piss Christ sure is art, but political duck cartooning is not!"

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

I want a cartoon that says "David Cameron irrumated a pig's head, and that in a nutshell is people like the estate tax."

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Lester is actually kind of good at taking on uncomfortable positions that moderate liberals take. (E.g. when they vehemently deny that Obama is a Muslim because he's obviously a God-Fearing Christian like Any Good Sensible Person.)

He's so full of poo poo it's coming out his eyes and all that, but in that same way that I sometimes chuckle at a Gary McCoy and that you have to respect Chuck Asay's pencils, he really does have a competence for identifying leftist hypocrisy. Not a gift, or anything. A competence.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

How exactly is it hypocrisy to hold the thoughts of "muslims are not a bad thing" and "stop calling the president a muslim as if it's a bad thing that he would be"

When you say it like "stop calling the president a Muslim because it's a bad thing that he would be."

Because they're left of Hitler, yes.

Ed. I'm not saying it's a majority thing, but I've heard it. And I don't agree with Lester, but I'm impressed that he took the time to find out that some people have said it. That is high-effort by ptoon standards.

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 24, 2015

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The only people who say it like this are Republicans who think that Reverend Wright is a better attack.

Oh okay. Guess that trip to anywhere that wasn't a major coastal city was riddled with boring hallucinations.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Met posted:

Horsey takes a shot for a Gorrel Award of Laziness.

Do you think he's saying that the wrongdoing isn't a big deal, or did he just need an adjective that started with V and wasn't all that picky?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

A Radical Critique of the Enlightenment Notion of Progress Cartoon

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Is this one of those things where we're not supposed to believe Captain Conservative or whatever because he's just there to prove that our heroes are in fact moderates, or is Muir just libeling a former president of the United States?

I can't help but think that this would be clearer if the people who were talking were depicted in the panel.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

colonel_korn posted:

Sorry Rick but Gary McCoy beat you by like 7 years

I love this poo poo. It's like all those fools on literally unbelievable losing their poo poo over the Onion's story about PP's new $8 billion abortionplex.

Those fools, lookin' like fools etc.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

oddium posted:

hm. i need to represent Chicago, the third largest city in america, in my comic. [scrawls "Chicago" over a barren patch of land]

In fairness "a flat featureless expanse" is how I've always thought of Illinois.

I used to go visit my grandmother and gawk at how you could look down any block out without geographic limit to the horizon.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

You are the wind beneath this thread's wings.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

The Atlantic is doing one of their week-and-change back-and-forths about the Tea Party's attempt to defund the Export-Import Bank, which is a thing I didn't know about until last week:
http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/all/2015/09/the-defunding-of-the-export-import-bank/406873/

(Make sure you hit "Oldest First")

That guy makes it sound like pure loving lunacy, though, again, I didn't know about that bank until that guy wrote a thing about it.

Ed. Oh, although that's a reauthorization vote as opposed to a blocking of funds as in the CDC example of a few posts up.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

...is this the work of an actual child? We're not making fun of an actual child are we?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

zoux posted:

That's also a function of the medical community changing the recommended timing for cancer screenings, which has resulted in fewer screenings being done.

Indeed, some of us may recall the ptoons about how this is the first step on the ladder to healthcare rationing. They're making the doctors lie to us about how much healthcare we need so we get used to rationing it.

...actually that might only have been Day by Day.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"Why did the illegals cross the road"

"To kill the other side"

Yea, woulda worked better if he didn't drawthrow a couple of filters over these savage, bloodthirsty, invaders as one of the first GIS results for "illegal aliens" which happened to be a family in poverty trying to leave the road.

He is as much a prisoner as are we all.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

rydiafan posted:

don't get me wrong I don't see this being true but then again, you can't make this up

The ones that make me saddest are the one who say "yeah it may be satire, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen!"

They can get pretty eloquent in defense of that line of thought.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

The Ape of Naples posted:

I guess the real question is: "Why aren't they dead?" They'd die in such a crash with car like that despite what Muir (or my mom) would say.

Because that kid is still out there, and Zeke is too much of a man to lay down and die until he's had his revenge.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

I've finally come all the way back around to where I was when I first read this thread years ago. I'm angry that people just willfully misrepresent the things that people have done and said, and that there is no consequence.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Rorus Raz posted:

It's that time of the month when we remind people that we value breasts more than whatever is attached to them, I can't remember at the moment.

When I've heard people complain about that, I always assumed they were making a fairly nuanced rhetorical argument, but no, he's just straight up saying that cancer is bad because it fucks with the titties and they're pretty.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Rorus Raz posted:

I mean there's literally stickers and shirts that say "Save the boobs"

Like, I get that a woman wouldn't want to lose her breasts, but I feel like the ad campaign has moved closer to "prevent mastectomies" instead of "prevent people from dying."

I guess I just always thought they were joking before.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

This isn't technically a cartoon, but it's a guy who thinks his parody of the liberal government that's destroying jobs is spot on:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mwhogan/small-biz-vs-big-government/description

It's fun, because it's the exact opposite of the value The Landlord's Game was supposed to inculcate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

I think what offended me most was how there are Entitlement cards and Progressivism cards, and one of the Progressivism cards starts out "You are entitled to a free trip..."

• Locked thread