Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Is there a specific pun / reference to a recent saying I'm missing here?

(Assume I'm not a complete idiot and got the general gist of the cartoon)

Uh... What's the general gist you're getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I'll ask again but why do all the British cartoonists use Bell's caricatures? It's kind of weird.

You may find this interesting.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I was watching this talk on Offence by Rowson which is interesting. He did say something which I think really separates him from the vast majority of cartoonists, especially in the US, which is that the role of the satirist is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable, don't attack people for what they are, but for what they think and to only attack those more powerful than him; don't punch down.

Also, this place is amusing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Old man Kirschen is going to be so smug. :smithicide:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

"gently caress this guy, not for what he did, but for the inevitable cartoonist response"?

Nope.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

^^^^^ Would you prefer free speech only apply to nice, agreeable things?

Who What Now posted:

The founding fathers probably got bored and doodled in the margins when writing the rough draft of the Constitution/Bill of Rights. An accurate cartoon?

It's a Canadian cartoon. :11tea:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Neeksy posted:

No? Just that allowing tragedy to cover up the fact that these cartoons are vile and are a part of a larger problem in French society is just falling into an easy narrative about terrorism and anti-muslim thought.

Neeksy posted:

This kind of poo poo becoming the symbol of free speech is a bit gross:

This is literally the point of free speech.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, the point of free speech rights is to protect unpopular speech.

Uh, yeah? :shrug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Making fun of Arabs and Muslims is not unpopular speech in France.

Well done missing the point. :downsbravo:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gotta go with the Witch on this one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Brannock posted:

If Latuff got murdered by a Israeli fascist or something like that would people be talking about how Latuff pissed off people with his cartoons and maybe if he didn't want to get murdered he should have been more respectful or, perhaps, even, not draw those cartoons in the first place?

Pretty sure that's Latuff's dream way of getting killed.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe someone will shoot Muir for his...whatever he makes.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Just to pick it up from a few pages ago, Telnaes is the queen of Scalia's.

And other things

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Portals posted:

While I like this one, it bugs me that Horsey screwed up on Death's left arm. It looks like it's bending in two places :saddowns:

Maybe it is? Death has all the joints he wants. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

The shooting got Oliphant to draw something for the first time in like 4 months:

This looks pretty loving rad, gotta say. :black101:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You're not the only one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. MacDonald, turned 200. By any standard nowadays he would be considered a racist, colonialist, alcoholic shithead, so naturally there's a large movement to overlook all that by judging him according to the standards of his own time/whitewashing Canada's horrible early history because he's Canada's version of George Washington and (perhaps more importantly) was a Big C Conservative so our current Conservatives claim him as one of their own.

He also wanted to give women the vote. :argh:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oliphant draws some pretty metal looking stuff. :black101:

Also, there's something utterly :3: about this.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

I imagine Horsey is going to get a lot of flak for plagiarizing a Gorrell cartoon.

This is the first time I can recall Horsey de-boobing something.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I want that to be my tombstone.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

Yes, a blurry photo of a page with Derf among others was posted upthread. Hopefully Kurtofan or somebody else can get their hands one one and post it here.

The more I see this one, the more i like it. It's such a good metaphor.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ha, he foresaw this thread 12 years ago.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Would this be considered anti-semitic?

Pretty much any thing can be considered anti-semitic if someone wants it to be.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

That doesn't mean the question is irrelevant or that we aren't obviated from a duty to seriously consider it with regards to this cartoon.

I have pondered the question and I have determined it's not an antisemitic, next question?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

Fair enough. I agree. But what you said at first seemed to suggest that because anti semitism could be read into anything we should pretty much ignore accusations of it. If there's another meaning to what you said I'd love to hear it.

It just sounds like my work colleagues when I point out sexist stuff. "Well people can be offended by anything ". Technically true, but it's putting the emphasis for the offence squarely on the person offended. As if it's all subjective and we shouldn't even bother having some kind of social standard of acceptable behaviour.

My point was not to ignore it (one only needs to look at A Wyatt Man cartoons to see this), but that people will use the cry of 'antisemitism' to shut down and attack anything they dislike, regardless of merit. It's almost a 'boy who cried wolf' thing. In the case of Latuff I have trouble taking an organization who labels him the 3rd worst antisemite in the world, ahead of literally Nazi parties in Eastern Europe who actually have real political and social power, instead of a cartoonist in Brazil.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Look at the size of that nose. Tsk tsk.

That's the barrel of the gun.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That has to be the most :smith: Obama I can remember.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Even more than "Always wrong...."?

I'd forgotten about that one.

I'd say a close second to that one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love the ghoul Miliband doing the Thriller dance on Mandy's front lawn. :3:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Brian MacFadden:

I can't dislike anything prominently featuring big palls.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Crossposting from Batman's Shameful Secret, because goddamn

In case you didn't know Bill Holbrook's Kevin & Kell, count your blessings. It's the most hosed up tribute ever. (the bones on the left belonged to sentient animals, btw. but it's okay she's one of the good carnivores!)

Didn't your mother ever teach you to spoiler that poo poo? :stare:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Noice.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Definitely Not Disneyland

Just needs a wee edit to make him smiling instead.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Interestingly, approximately 90% of people trying sovereign or sovereign-type crap give up and go away the first time they get smacked down. They never try it again. It's only a very small proportion who persist after failure. If you slam them early and hard most will never try it again.

One of our local judges has a great way of dealing with them when they won't identify themselves, which is basically to say 'Oh? They're not here? Ok, warrant for their arrest issued.' Most then promptly say they are present.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

When he does political stuff it's usually pretty good:

I also love this one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WitchFetish posted:

I'm afraid you don't quite "get" this thread.

Anyone who thinks they get this thread, doesn't get this thread.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The fact he gets posted on here regularly is more readership than he deserves.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

People thinking Muir would be emboldened by a Secret Service visit are overlooking that he is a gigantic coward. While they were there he'd be terrified. Once gone you might think that he'd draw more of his empowerment fantasy comicsabout how he totally used badass kung fu to take on Obamas private army, except he'll know doing that would make them come back.

A visit from the SS is the best thing that could happen for Muir, short of being thrown in jail by them. It would do nothing but give him some degree of recognition he shouldn't have, and feed into his paranoia. The best thing for anyone to do is ignore him, rather than feed him attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Why bother pretending anymore. :allears:

• Locked thread