Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

majormonotone posted:

Here's Marshall Ramsey from the Clarion Ledger, which is based out of Jackson, Mississippi.

If anyone wants see more of Marshall Ramsey I live in Jackson and could post him and provide some background info since most of his stuff if Mississippi related.

For instance, the context for this is that MS's senate republican this year got REALLY nasty with Chris McDaniels (Tea Party) fighting Thad Cochrane (incumbent) tooth and nail. There was a scandal where a local Tea Party blogger snuck into the long-term care facility where Sen. Cochrane's wife was living (she died late last month) and took pictures of her while she was bed-ridden, and later McDaniels accused Cochrane of playing the Race Card because blacks voted for Cochrane in the run-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

[quote="hexigrammus" post="post439674004"]
Wait - what? I was trying to google the details, but the search results are swamped by the fraudulent voter allegations. We have two guys (both Republican) campaigning for the Republican nomination, and someone in one camp thought that pictures of the opponent's dying wife would be useful in discrediting the opponent?

Seriously? Is this what happened?
[/quote]

Yes.

fade5 posted:

Do it, I'd love to see more local southern cartoons, especially from the worst state a place as southern as Mississippi. (Mississippi isn't going to be last to get Gay Marriage, so it's no longer the Worst State.:v:)

Don't lie.

So, while we're on the subject of the 2014 primary, let's have some more 'toons!

(1)

If at first you don't succeed...

(2)

Yes, McDaniel actually said something like that.

(3)

The night after the first primary, a group of Tea Party staffers entered the locked courthouse where the votes were being counted to "assist in counting the votes." I swear I'm not making this up.

(4)

A popular music number from a popular movie happened! Also, McDaniel never gave up.

(5)

Mississippi law states that someone who votes in one party's primaries cannot vote in the others on the same day. McDaniel missed the "one the same day" part of the law. Also, the "Binder o' Fraud" was a real thing.

(6)

... I got nothing.

(7)

The ONLY reason McDaniel's court challenge stopped was because a judge ruled that McDaniel's team had waited too late to file the challenge. (Also, Ramsay thinks he's Rorus Raz)

(8)

Reality is truly stranger than fiction.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why does this guy have an adorable possum?

Because possums are known for "playing dead" and the McDaniel campaign sure looked dead several times but kept getting back up.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Today's Marshall Ramsey:

This batch finishes up most of the major stuff that happened in Mississippi. After this I think I'll do a big weekend post of Ramsey's cartoons (skipping any minor local stuff).

General US/international issues

(1)

Politians, amiright?

(2)

Obama bad president pee pee doo doo

General State stuff

(3)

Mississippi has a lovely education system and every year the legislature tries everything some things to try and fix that, usually new education standards or redisigning the way teachers are paid (instead of fully funding education according to MAEP. One of the latest "ideas" is merit-based teacher pay, wherein teacher pay is set by how well the students perform on tests. Just about every non-politician (and even a few politicians!) in the state knows that this is a horrible idea.

(4)

Combining the above with another great horrible law. This year, MS passed a new law that required families on TANF to take a questionnaire to screen them for possible drug use. Out of 3656 applicants, only 38 were chosen for testing, and out of those, only 2 families tested positive (that's 5% of 1%, or .05%). This means that either (a) there aren't that many families on TANF that do drugs, (b) questionnaires aren't a very good tool for catching drug offenders, (c) MS sucks at random selections, or (d) all of the above. (Who are we kidding? It's D)

(5)

Mississippians don't know how to deal with cold weather. Also, our roadways suck. Seriously. "The Stack" is the local name for the combination of I-55 and I-20 and Mississippi highway 49 into one roadway, while the Waterworks curves are a series of S-curves located near the Jackson City Waterworks (hence the name) that are either accident prone (if people take the curves too fast) or bottlenecks (if people slow down to take the curves).

(6)

Current governor Phil Bryant is one of the gigantic assholes true Americans who decided to NOT expand Mississippi's division of Medicaid (thus losing out on Federal grant money) and has not pushed for fully funding education (thus losing out on Federal grant money). Well, it's not like we need that Federal money because we're the poorest state in the nati - OH WAIT WE ARE!

(7)

MS prisons are horribly run, and inmates regularly escape from them. Even worse is the smuggling, with cell phones and drugs rampant and guards regularly doing the smuggling. (The local paper even did a week long series on this here.) Fortunately, the inmates are dumb enough to use the cell phones to post selfies, including one who posed eating a smuggled turkey leg.

(8)

Of course, the big story was that our state DoC commissioner, Chris Epps, had been indicted in a massive federal bribery scandal involving giving a local businessman multiple "no-bid" contracts for prison services in exchange for multiple cashier's checks to pay off Epps's mortgages, and cash. Actual cold, hard cash that Epps kept in a safe in his home. Epps now faces up to 368 years in prison.

The good thing is that these scandals have made state government take a good look at how the prison system works to try and fix these problems.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:siren: Mississippi Update :sherman:

(1)

Chris McDaniel's back in the headlines again. He's still a State Senator and his agenda this year comprises of two things: term limits for the State Legislature (a good thing) and barring people who voted in one party's primary from voting in another party's run-off (which would mean that people would have to register for their parties, which MS currently doesn't do). Also, his campaign manager is now running for an office (I forget which).

(2)

Our state capitol underwent renovations last year/beginning of this year.

(3)

When our legislature started up Tuesday, a bunch protesters gathered outside the capital to rally against Common Core and how it allows the FED'RUL GUV'MINT and YE MOORISH KYNGE to dictate what MS students should learn. ('Cause why should our kids have to learn the same things other states' kids do?)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mississippi update!

1 :sigh:

Some of our brave lawmakers want to make the Bible Mississippi's "State Book" instead of trying to do their drat jobs.

A group of students at Brandon High School wanted to create a student-led and organized Gay-Straight Alliance, prompting the Rankin County (which is just east of Jackson) school board to change their policy to try to limit "gay clubs".

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

duz posted:

Given that he's on sabbatical to work on Alpha House, maybe not. Or is he back doing new strips?

He does new strips every Sunday, from what I can tell.

Anyway, its time for a (belated) MS update!

GOLFGOLFGOLFGOLF

More "Nobody understands how footballs work". Also, the state of the state address.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mississippi is currently building two museums - one for general state history and one for the civil rights movement (They're separate but equal! :rimshot:).

Romney recently spoke at Mississippi State University and one of MSU traditions is ringing a cowbell at football games.

He's back! Yes, that's right, out old friend Chris McDaniel (who is still a State Senator) has been taking time off from work - to raise funds for his SuperPAC that will help get "True Conservatives" elected into office. Y'know, instead of DOING HIS loving JOB.

:siren: BONUS CONTENT

Who wants some possum-tars?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

xrunner posted:

I know almost nothing about Mississippi politics. Assuming this isn't a snide joke (it's probably a snide joke), is this really a thing? I mean, if they are building two museums, is it really separate but equal, or is it a recognition that the civil rights movement was so important it deserves it's own museum? Again, 90% certain it's just a joke! but really curious if it's an actual issue...

They are building two museums, but the "separate but equal" thing was my (poor) attempt at humor, hence the :rimshot:.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mississippi! Only two this week of note.

Former Republican state Sen. Tim Johnson recently announced he was going to run for Lt. Gov. - as a democrat. Why? Because we haven't expanded Medicaid for all Mississippians yet. And yes, he is an Elvis impersonator.

The state legislature has just finished its "design bills" period and has gone on to "let everything die in committee" period.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Only one this week.

Mississippi's still one of the last states without a "no texting while driving" bill. Last year Rep. Bill Denny killed a similar bill because he didn't know whether the bill affected all people or just teenagers.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Space-Bird posted:

Is it that time of year in the media cycle already? Did we already get a "Future AI overlords might become a reality" article? Hear me out, Buzzfeed Journalists, What if there was AI overlord future combined with Zombie Future. Think of the mondo clicks.

That's basically the plot of IDW's Zombies vs. Robots.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MS update

One of the most recent state bills would have allowed non-medical exemptions to the state's vaccination policy, and MS is one of the states ranked highest in vaccination rates. Thankfully, our lawmakers hadn't received their smarts vaccination and killed the bill.

2 :barf:

State Rep. Gene Alday (R-Walls) recently made some rather very racist statements in the Clarion-Ledger, the state's largest newspaper. Gems include "[I come] from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks.' They don't work." and when he went to an emergency room "I liked to died. I laid in there for hours because they (blacks) were in there being treated for gunshots." Needless to say a LOT of people are unhappy with him and he's even garnered 2 primary challengers already. His "apology" was described as "short and monotone" and he said he made the remarks "without knowing they were going to be in the story."

3. :allears:

HE'S BACK!

Yes! A few days ago the "Friends of Chris McDaniel for Senate" Facebook page mysteriously changed to a "Friends of Chris McDaniel for MS Lt Gov." page after being mysteriously set to "private" while McDaniel's own Facebook page put out the question "Serious question. What do you think about Tate Reeves qualifying today for re-election as Lt. Gov.??? Do you support him?". McDaniel himself said that he would rather seek a national office, but since there's no federal elections in MS this year...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

He will always be J. Jonah Jameson in my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjiplsMDz0

Ahem. :colbert:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mississippi Update

1 :sigh:

It's been dropping below freezing here in Jackson for the past few weeks, and a few days we never got out of the 30s. For reference, the normal highs in Mississippi this time of year are supposed to be in the 60s.

State rep. Chris McDaniel has said "he would prefer a federal position". US Rep Palazzo is the MS House member whose district McDaniel lives in.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mississippi update!

Two things happened.

Tuesday and Wednesday were warm enough to break out the shorts and turn on fans/AC. Thursday and Friday our lows were in the 20s. Yet Global climate change doesn't exist.

Another thing happened.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I may have asked this before and I certainly don't remember the answer, but are there actually still newspapers that run :tinsley: in the regular comics section, or is his two week delay a fantasy and/or coping strategy for being a drunk? If someone could post an image of this comic actually printed next to Family Circus or whatever, I'd love to just stare at it a bit while my brain trickles out my ears.

Mine still does.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

emailghazi + newfangled gadget = joke(?)

ENNY DAY NAOW!!!!!!!1!!!1!

Noel Fritsch is a member of a group call Mississippi Gun Rights and has constantly lobbied state lawmakers since January to pass a bill legalizing "Constitutional Carry", where people would be able to carry concealed guns without a permit (because that's what the founding fathers wanted, obviously :what: ). He was, at first, welcomed at the legislature, but has since become unwelcome due to harassment, attacks via social media, and robo-calls aimed at ousting even staunch pro-gun legislators.

Also, MGR is affiliated with Colorado's National Association of Gun Rights, billed as the "conservative alternative" to the NRA. And that terrifies me.

With all the recent rains, Jackson - whose infrastructure dates back to the '50s or '60s - is experiencing a rash of horrible pot-holes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Miss. just passed a law doing away with Car inspection stickers. They didn't generate much money for either the businesses that did the inspections or the government, and a lot of auto places had stopped doing the inspections, so good riddance.

Mississippi's economy is doing "better", so the Republican leadership, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that the one thing we need to do is give corporations, small businesses, corporations, individuals, corporations, and corporations tax cuts. Of course, they still haven't fully funded the educations system, and the bill failed when the few Dems blocked it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What, no "EMAIL SCANDAL" inside the bag?

That's not Hillary.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just one this week, because the state's been exploding over the firing of a college president or something.

But I really want this to happen so the rest of you fine folks (those that live in America) can share in the joy of knowing this piece of human-shaped filth fine gentleman.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

I will never not love that possum. Opossum, whatever it is.

Possum O'possum of the Kildare O'possums

quote:

Oh yeah, it's Sunday. I had a conversation with someone about how long it will be until there are corporate logos on our money, or until people can pay money to get their own face on currency:

What is this even trying to say? My head hurts just thinking about all those :words:.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A tragedy happened.

Mississippi's legislative session runs Jan.-March (unless its an election year, then it goes 'til April), meaning the end of the session corresponds roughly to the NCAA tournament. (Basically, two things happened at the same time)

A Jesus happened.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A Sentencing Happened

Something in Mississippi is finally #1 on a list. Unfortunately, that list is of Spring Allergy Capitals.

97 people from across the state have been admitted to hospitals with overdoses related to Spice (synthetic marijuana) since April 2nd. One person has died and an apartment not far from where I live was raided for over $8 million worth of Spice last Thursday. (Also, them damned kids and their gadgets.)

Prism posted:

I'd be terrified of falling into what is clearly cartoon acid or radioactive ooze.

That's clearly Nickelodeontm Slime.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

OptimusShr posted:

No, just a verdict. Guilty on all 30 counts, sentencing hearing starts tomorrow. Been on the news all week here in MA.

Yeah, I know, I just got my words confused.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Oh no! :monocle: A politician doing things that make them seem more like regular people! No one's ever done that before!

It's almost like businesses who make money off of helping people fill out complicated forms keep lobbying congress to keep those forms complicated.

Nah!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Really bad eyesight?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Former Gov. Haley Barbour ran the RNC from '94-'97, was a mega-lobbyist in the '90s, and now runs a superPAC that supported Thad Cochran's run against Chris McDaniels has recently come out in favor of a salt-and-pepper political parties.

While running a Super PAC to crush all opposition, of course.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hundreds of people across the state have been hospitalized for complications from Spice.

An earthquake happened

Jackson, MS, streets are coming apart from all the rains in April. Also, old person does not understand new thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hi11ary. Bi11s.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:bahgawd: Those kids and their hashitty-tags and hippity-hop and greater global awareness!

Gov. Chris Christie visited Mississippi Tuesday to stump for his presidential campaign Gov. Phil Bryant's upcoming gubernatorial race. Also, bridgegate. Also also, Mississippi's infrastructure is hilariously deficient.

Something about a gate on a bridge over water deflating and crushing a footballer or something.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Why the hell does Mr. Noseworthy keep switching between thought and speech balloons?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Uh, Mr. Bradford, maybe you should get your extremely bendy arms and stiff legs looked at first before you go beat up a child molester?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

On May 9, two Hattiesburg, MS, police officers were shot and killed. Seven people have been arrested in the case, most with obstruction or accessory after the fact.

Riley Ben "Blues Boy" King was actually born near Indianola, MS, and has a museum in the city.

North Korea executed one of the defense ministers ... by anti-aircraft fire.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Beeg posted:

Why is this cartoon cropped so bad?

That's just the way it comes from the Clarion Ledger site.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Rest in peace, War.

Thankfully, War's only friend was able to get him a burial plot and funerary services for next-to-nothing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Not a lot to explain this week.

Number of cartoons about biker gangs fighting ISIS: 3

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

I wish Allie would put his money where his mouth is and just move to Mississippi, already.

What'd I ever do to you?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Not My Leg posted:

North Carolina protects your right to opt out of fisting for religious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Week before last Marshall Ramsey was off, and the past week has been almost nothing but boring MS stuff.

Gotta give me the slanty eyes.

Presented without context just for the death raygamma knife.

• Locked thread