Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Those glasses :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Context on this one: today some sort of taskforce, including members of the "Australian Border Force" (formerly Department of Immigration), was announced to be carrying out "Operation Fortitude" in Melbourne CBD. The operation was ostensibly going to target antisocial behaviour. But, for some reason, the press release mentioned that people should be aware of their visa status and that overstaying your visa was a crime. From this, people quickly figured it was going to be a "papers please" situation targeting foreign-looking people, and a spontaneous protest broke out swamping the CBD. The entire operation was cancelled within hours. Immigration Minister Peter Dutton (in the Moff uniform) has refused to comment on the whole thing, citing "operational matters" secrecy.

The whole situation went from outrage to high comedy over the course of an afternoon. Needless to say, it makes the Liberal party look like a bunch of idiots.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 28, 2015

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

WarpedNaba posted:

You are the wind beneath my wings, lads.

While their actions are terrible, there's a reason people are seeking asylum/citizenship there as opposed to, say, China, Russia or India. Most awful is a classification that lacks appropriate perspective of global context.

Although I would take my words there with a pinch of salt, I'm not entirely sure I have good data (How the hell does South Africa have more Asylum applicants than the EU or USA?)

(In the case of Australia) because they're desperate and they may not know. It's Australian border protection policy now to just turn back boats. As for why SA might have more asylum applicants, it may be because they're closer to the regions people are escaping and thus easier to seek asylum there?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

WarpedNaba posted:

Possibly, although taking Australia into account (Being about as far away from troubled regions as you can get) means that distance clearly can't be the only factor. However, from what little I've gleaned from various reports about South Sudan, the Congo and the various madness' of East Africa seems to indicate that there's an enormous variety in the factors creating refugee crisis' and their displacement. You may well still be fully correct in most instances regarding this, however.

If you'd like, I'd rather we'd PM this if you're interested in continuing this. Bringing up South Africa's issues with race and immigration in a political thread infamous for charged derails is probably not good posting conduct.

Unfortunately I don't have PMs. I only really know of the refugee crisis as it pertains to Australia, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be much use in a discussion on asylum issues. The global refugee crisis seems deserving of its own thread, but as I said, I wouldn't know all that much. You're right, though - back to cartoons.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Funny how Ramirez didn't draw desertified farmland or a fishing village consumed by rising water.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 5, 2015

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

This is really cute. Combined with the teleporting Corbyn a little while ago, I'm really fond of Collins' style.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I suspect Tinsley's making a Rachel Dolezal-style joke, but it's hard to tell. Tinsley gets obsessed with his own dumb jokes and just keeps going with them beyond the point where you know what he's even talking about.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

oh gently caress! Plot development!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
How do people actually enjoy that 'comic' beyond recognition of conservative talking points/tits? Are readers of the site ever actually getting interested in Muir's storylines when they they must know the plot threads just inevitably end up a wet fart of deus ex machina or "obama bad"?

edit: I guess I already know the answer, but Christ :psyduck:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

smilingfish posted:

I asked my deaf friend about Deaf Day.

He said he'd never heard of it.

Good one

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the point of the comic "deaf people still exist, therefore checkmate evolution"?

I thought it was more just "a thing happened and evolution is bad".

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Klaus88 posted:

What?

This seems like a pure "brown people are bad" cartoon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidal_Hasan

quote:

Nidal Malik Hasan (born September 8, 1970) is an American convicted of fatally shooting 13 people and injuring more than 30 others in the Fort Hood mass shooting on November 5, 2009.[3] Hasan was a United States Army psychiatrist and Medical Corps major who admitted to the shootings at his court-martial in August 2013.[3][4][5] A jury panel of 13 officers convicted him of 13 counts of premeditated murder, 32 counts of attempted murder, and unanimously recommended Hasan be formally dismissed from the service and sentenced to death.[3][6][7] Hasan is incarcerated at the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas awaiting execution while his case is reviewed by appellate courts.

It's a lovely pun that also insinuates that any of the muslims around us could secretly be an evil killer.

So yes, you're correct.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't get this one. Is it pro-Trump or not?

Not. It's Bok calling out Trump's bullshit while also being his usual self. If I'm remembering correctly, Bok is one of the wingnuts who actually doesn't seem to like Trump much.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Imagining some 17th-century Asay getting all up in arms about the complete lack of moral standards in "today's" shoe/stocking combos is great :allears:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

The Sin of Onan posted:

Who's J. DeMint?

Jim DeMint, SC Senator (R) from 2005-2013 and a "leading figure in the Tea Party movement," says Wikipedia.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I figured in this case that the "none at all" comment was a joke about the fact the protest starting after someone was shot.

edit: beaten. I think the problem with the cartoon is that it's structured poorly and the actual 'joke'/message isn't really clear enough.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

toanoradian posted:

I don't get the shoes part.

Climate protests in Paris were cancelled after the shootings, so people protested by leaving their shoes as a symbol.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Somfin posted:

Bullshit, that cannot be a real name

Like, that's the kind of name I'd come up with for a throwaway NPC in a really lovely cyberpunk RPG

William Richard "Bill" Shorten is one of the worst-polling opposition leaders in a long time. Labor Right, the faction that allowed him to take the role of opposition leader, has essentially become a copy of the neoliberal Liberal Party. Unfortunately for Bill, though, he doesn't have the charisma and perception of competence that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull does. Politically, he is a completely forgettable man. Hence the Blorp Slorten, Blip Snorten, Barg Bored'in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Rorus Raz posted:

gently caress, I laughed at a Ford toon.

Calvinism is still awful, just fyi.

The only Ford cartoon I've ever enjoyed.

• Locked thread