Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Edits and other stuff I did last year

And for me to find again easily, this is a big version of the Nast's Labour/Capital that I stitched together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Pththya-lyi stop trolling chris muir and then bragging about it here jesus christ

French parliament votes for recognition of Palestinian state...now what?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Scalise

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

Sometimes, after watching a great movie, we just incarnate the character...

Latuff gonna gently caress his phone

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

The Indy guy, Brown, who only ever parodies paintings more or less does condom-Cameron as well, but Rowson's is based on Little Lord Fauntleroy

as for Milliband, that's just the way he looks :smith:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Jacques-Louis David, 1794

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Listen it's sad that 10 people got murdered but some of the cartoons they did were problematic so we shouldn't feel too sorry. No i don't know anything about Charlie Hebdo or the anti-clerical traditions of the French Left? Why do you ask?

One of the cartoonists was Georges Wolinsky, an 80 year old

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Neeksy posted:

No but see they make fun of ALL people and religions! They were Equal-Opportunity Offenders.

It's just as fair and common-sense as the Flat Tax!

This guys a freakin idiot

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The NZ Herald's cartoonist did the entirety of tomorrow's cover, but no idea if they'll publish any of CH's cartoons as well:

They did publish some online though (with extremely bad translations)

actual: The UMP discovers democracy

actual: What an idiot! I should have worked[...]

actual: There, do you still recognise Palestine?

exmarx fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 8, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

WitchFetish posted:

Okay, you know what, if one of you finds a Charlie Hebdo cartoon he wants translated/some info on the context just tell me, I'll be glad to help.

I want to know if the Boko Haram one is meant to be satirising daily mail type MUSLIM BENEFIT SCROUNGERS TAKING ARE TAXES stuff, or if it's just a terrible joke

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
A column by Martin Rowson which is good

And an AJ article which is also good

J_RBG posted:

The fact that the subtext of the Boko Haram cartoon in particular was completely lost on me doesn't make me deficient at Correct Interpretation,

It really does, and you should make sure never to look at a Robert Crumb or Ward Sutton cartoon ever

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Urgent: Looking for 6 Cartoonists

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The context being stripped from Obama's speech is cool because the same people who'll freak about it are the ones who took mad offence at contextless CH 'toons

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
There's an obvious tension between using satire to ridicule religious extremists (or the religion itself) and that satire reinforcing Islamophobia in a place where Islamophobia is a real and present threat. Charlie Hebdo mostly did the former imo. What's sick is people acting like the unthinking Muslim hordes are under a geas to murder those who insult the prophet

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

So. As I promised a few pages ago, here is a page-by-page detail of what a Charlie Hebdo issue generally contains. I took lovely pictures of the issue that came out on the day of the attack. Don't diss the tablecloth.

Thank you for this!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
video of Steve Bell drawing/explaining his last cartoon

This one is literally a Charlie Hebdo cartoon with the signs added

Jedit posted:

It's "Je t'aiiiime mort!"

no it isn't

There is no innocent cartoonist. Every cartoon is deliberate

exmarx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 9, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
TRANS- PORT -TATION

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Rorus Raz posted:

So, knock it off with the meta "Too Soon?" discussion, and stop acting like people feel the murders were in any way justified.

I don't think anyone has said it's too soon since before Xylo posted, but there are plenty of people who are saying 'nobody should be murdered, but'.

For me the most hosed up thing is the after the fact painting of Charlie Hebdo as being in the spirit of Der Stürmer instead of Private Eye or The Onion. I've seen the same four or five covers (including the unambiguously anti-racist Christiane Taubira one) being used to sum up a thirty-year-old magazine and smear a bunch of murdered soixante-huitards. Gives the impression that if somebody shot up The Onion's offices all we'd hear about is the time they called Quvenzhané Wallis a oval office.

whatever. Here's a 2006 video of CH discussing one of the Mohammed covers

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
e: misread

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

10 journalists killed in attack on Charlie Hebdo in Paris (top), about 13 journalists killed last summer in attack on Gaza (bottom).

Haaretz cartoonist Noa Olchowski has received death threats in Israel over this cartoon

quote:

"Haaretz is where the terrorists should have gone,” wrote Riki Michael. “Death to traitors,” added Moshe Mehager. “I hope that terrorism reaches Haaretz as well,” wrote Tuval Shalom. “With God’s help, [there will be] a Hamas operation that kills all of you, like the journalists in France,” wrote Ruti Hevroni.”

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Well, it's still a depiction of Muhammad

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Journo is Australian slang, the others are just to match Hebdo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I've never understood the whole "Snowden is targeted by the US government" thing. Yeah, of course he is. He breached a legal contract. He released classified information. Doesn't matter if he didn't give it to another nation or a terrorist organization, he did something with it that he said he wouldn't when he signed a contract to work for a company employed by the United States government.

Right, and Raif Badawi broke the law by blaspheming

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gtlxp

Charlie Hebdo columnist Zineb El Rhazoui on why the latest edition depicts Prophet Muhammad

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

context: in 2011, a freelance journalist 'accidentally' recorded a political stunt conversation between PM John Key and former ACT Party leader John Banks, which included jokes about how the voters for another party (NZ First) were dying off. In response, the police were sent to raid the four media organisations which had copies of the 'Teapot Tapes'

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Some interesting stuff from Evans on the Charlie Hebdo shooting

He was fired in 2003 for anti-Zionist cartoons

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
A spread from the new issue of Charlie Hebdo, translations mostly not by me

First results of the aftermath

Pros
1. "All together"

I am Charlie

2. Philippe Katerine (French singer) gives you weed the next day

3. "We love you", "I love you, my love, you are alive!", "we love you"

4. Madonna supports "Charlie". "And I'm throwing my panties to them"

5. We can smoke at Liberation (Charlie Hebdo worked on this edition from the offices of French newspaper Liberation).

6. "The French government donates 1 million for 'Charlie'."

"Google starts a subscription" "and me", "and me"

Cons
1. People singing the French national anthem

2. Shaking hands with 'Manuel Valls.

3. Flags down, libido down. "It'll come back my love".

4. Angela Merkel, too. "Ich bin nein wearing panties".

5. "Lung cancer you idiots." "Sorry Charb"

6. [the murder of his colleagues]

Start of the procession

A few sketches from the January 11 gathering, seen from our 'backstages', by Luz & Coco

First drawing left

We see friends we haven't seen for a while.

"I am with you my friends"

"Thanks Renaud (French singer) for being here!"

Next (man in a chair)

Robert Badinter (high-profile French criminal lawyer, university professor and politician) is classy, even with a hat on.

Next (group holding banner)

The journalists' union is behind us.

"We are Charlie"

Next (group of French politicians)

French politicians form a group behind us. Borloo (French politician) seems scribbled over by Tignous (one of the cartoonists who died in the attacks) and Jospin (another politician) seems like he is stuck on one of Honore's drawings.

(All the names underneath are French politicians'.)

It seemed like every one of them came out of an old edition of "Charlie Hebdo". We would have gladly swapped them for one of the sexy ladies Wolinski used to draw.

Second line of drawings

Left (group with big 'je suis charlie' banner)

The photographers getting ready to shoot

Next (two people hugging)

We hug the family of Franky, the policeman who lost his life while protecting Charb.

Next (text above a bus)

We see the buses transporting world leaders: Netanyahu - Charb loved to draw this uptight torturer - and Merkel - uncle Bernard used to criticise her liberal policies - are in there.

Framed text under the drawing:

We would have liked Mustapha (Ourrad, a copy editor who died in the attacks) to be with us to correct all this absurdity with a red pen, and Elsa (Cayat, psychoanalyst who wrote for Charlie Hebdo and also died in the attacks) to convince us that we were in a bad Lacanian dream. We marched anyway, marched, marched, marched as much as we could, and then we saw anonymous people, readers, infidels, subscribers, newspaper sellers, disappointed people, angry people, we saw dozens of you, thousands and millions of you, and suddenly a Trenet (Charles Trenet was a French singer) drawn by Cabus started singing in our heads.

Sunday, January 11.
More people for Charlie than for Mass

Drawing underneath on the left:

The French extreme right party (Front National)'s counter demonstration
"We are at home", "I am delighted", "I am racist", "I am Charlie Martel"

Next: a flame under L'Arc de Triomphe

"I've got a boner"

Next: picture of French politicians with Francois Hollande and Nicolas Sarkozy on the front)

One family of clowns lost; 10 others found.

these ones are in English

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Kegluneq posted:

As he's the best cartoonist in Britain's best (only?) satirical newspaper, I'm really happy to see David Ziggy Greene included here,even if he is more vox pop than biting satire :3: He also publishes in French so I imagine the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists did know of him beforehand.

Are there any other international submissions?

Yes, a blurry photo of a page with Derf among others was posted upthread. Hopefully Kurtofan or somebody else can get their hands one one and post it here.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNpOz44RM20

Video of Charb, Cabu, Wolinski & Tignous cartooning

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I think part of the problem is that American cartoons are weak as hell, and America doesn't have much in the way of hard-hitting satire at all. Remember the last time Colbert tried a slightly challenging joke and liberals wanted his show cancelled? :lol:

Art Young, 1921

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Fojar38 posted:

IMO that is not a very intelligent stance for someone to take on literally every issue.

Pretty good success rate, in my experience

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
A year in Charlie Hebdo covers

quote:

Top of the list, with eleven covers, is the Le Pen family, head of the far right party Front National. Clearly, they have been Charlie Hebdo’s most consistent targets over the years. The magazine has never stopped shedding light on their hypocrisy, racism and what they see as the self-hurting stupidity of their electorate (many of whom are very poor people who would suffer from the FN’s anti-welfare program). Second is president François Hollande who is also pictured eleven times, though often not as the main subject of the image. Then comes Prime Minister Manuel Valls and other members of his government, who total 8 covers. Former president Nicolas Sarkozy closes the top with seven covers. The rest are about current events, from plane crashes and ebola to Gerard Depardieu’s tax evasion and school reform. So what are we left with to assess the racism of Charlie Hebdo ? Mainly three groups: political figures who are not white, racial minorities among background characters, and the treatment of djihadism. - See more at: http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/01/a-year-in-the-merde/#sthash.pEGQ7gIS.dpuf
http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/01/a-year-in-the-merde/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

That's retarded, Gary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012