Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She was originally fired for posting her details online and daring people to call her work more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's probably a fair guess that a bunch of anti-racist cartoonists wouldn't want people to firebomb random mosques in response to their killings. That seems like a really important point to make, what with all the "I'm not saying that all Muslims everywhere are responsible and that we must engage in violent reprisals but" statements being thrown around.

Broken Cog posted:

People are saying "Well, first I want to say that these killings were absolutely horrible and inexcusable", and then immediately following ip up with "Besides, I think what CH did was racist and/or in bad taste, and they should not have been doing that!", which not only shows that they are putting some of the blame on the paper(why else bring it up?), but also an absolute ignorance for what it stands for.
Indeed, why would people start discussing political cartoons in the political cartoons thread if not to support murderous religious extremists? A very good question.

pussy riot police posted:

It's pretty hard to not come across as victim blaming when criticizing victims of an attack right after an attack. I've also noticed that some of the criticism I'm seeing here on SA is structurally identical to arguments I've heard in rape threads. There's more nuance in this case than that, in that there's actually a semblance of loving nuance, but I don't blame people for thinking people are doing the same bullshit they do in the wake of other tragedies when it looks like the same bullshit people do in the wake of other tragedies.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pussy riot police posted:

Could you run that by me one more time? My eyes reflexively glaze over when I see Day by Day, even in edits.
"Thing A and Thing B have superficial similarities if you replace all of the words involved" is not a good argument.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You have completely missed the point of that Kreider editorial if you think those cartoons are relevant.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is possible to care about a place without also bombing the poo poo out of it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It helps that Cameron is pretty bulbous and plasticky.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For the express reason:
"Israel slandered by Brazilian Cartoonist."
Yeah that was pretty amazing, they didn't even try and interpret one of his cartoons as anti-semitic or anything. They just straight up gave him the spot for criticizing Israel and its head of government.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Except for the inherent irony that comes with subverting the traditional superhero comic/war film format

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

alnilam posted:

That is bad, and romanticizing people who kill Iraqis is bad, and... maybe romanticizing people who kill Americans is bad, too? I'm... confused.... which one is the good guy who i should romanticize.... :psyduck:
It's OK I don't understand the concept of satire either.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it's supposed to be funny, it's supposed to recreate the feeling that people in invaded countries have when they see similar US media or whatever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

One of the reasons I love Tom the Dancing Bug is how effortlessly, and with what joy, Bolling seems to incorporate the styles he's using while still incorporating some winking and more modern jokes within. I think Latuff comes close, but he's actually a little too faithful to the source material he's riffing on for a longform joke. As with Bors, it's not so much his opinion as his presentation that I find myself criticizing, not out of hatred or anything.
I don't think Latuff is trying to make you laugh though. Seems more like a direct challenge to the reader to justify why it's OK to do this in reverse, and whether Iraqis could feel the same way about US war films

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I swear there was an old Dees cartoon where he compared the current American government unfavourably to the Nazis, which confused everyone. Has anyone still got that?

e: As in he was all like, "The US government is Hitler, and that is a bad thing"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wait this image is totally incoherent. Better have a character state the visual metaphor I was going for.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think he imagines there's this big spectrum of species in the evolutionary process and that therefore we should always be digging up different transitional species. The fact that we don't proves that all life, much like Yugioh, was created by an infinitely intelligent being.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The actual quote seems to be (re: the Taliban and why they are on some terrorist lists but not others)

quote:

“They do carry out tactics that are akin to terrorism. They do pursue terror attacks in an effort to try to advance their agenda,” White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest explained today, but “they have a different classification.”
It's just a matter of semantics in terms of how they classify international terrorist networks who exist purely to plan attacks vs more localized armed groups that engage in armed conflicts and terrorism.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He gave 6,000,000,005 jihadi generals to the Taliban

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Measles was literally eliminated from the US before anti-vaxxers managed to lower the vaccination rate to a point where outbreaks could spread, so yeah I'd say it's pretty clear they're responsible.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Consider also the fact that very young children and people with compromised immune systems cannot get the vaccine, and are very vulnerable to the virus.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even when prominent liberals agree with him on national TV he finds a way to whine about it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

S.E. Cupp was blathering about vaccines on Larry Wilmore's show last night and whipped out this nugget that might've been the dumbest libertarian thing I've ever heard: I agree that parents should vaccinate their kids, but it shouldn't be government telling us that, it should be civil society.

There's so much <armpit fart> in that to unpack, all I could do was stammer. The hell, man.
I think it’s O.K. to violate people’s rights (e.g. through taxation) if the result is that you protect people’s rights to some greater extent (e.g. through police, courts, the military). But it’s not obvious to me that the Earth being hit by an asteroid (or, say, someone being hit by lightning or a falling tree) violates anyone’s rights; if that’s so, then I’m not sure I can justify preventing it through taxation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I want my child to literally never be exposed to a single thing that challenges the worldview I impose on them

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

While I know this is shocking I think Latuff might be opposed to western military intervention in the Middle East

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SCIENCE BUILDING
TOP FLOOR

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

British MPs actually do that quite often.
http://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/pairing/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it's meant to be any specific war, you're just meant to think of :911: are troops :911: and shed a single tear.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No you see the wage gap only exists in Hollywood and the White House.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really want Ramirez to write about his font/text colour choices sometime, because it's loving baffling.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it's that bad but it seems way oversimplistic and does seem to invite an "it's Muslim vs Christian!!" interpretation. Wheras actually most of ISIL's victims are Muslims that they regard as apostates.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oh no the President wants to change the country :ohdear:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't know how anyone can say modern art is bad when we have so many wonderful examples of it right here.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Talking about how you can't stand talking about the color of that dress is still talking about the color of that dress. This is the best "don't think of elephants" thing I think I have ever seen on the internet.
It's actually a joke here, the guy on the right is the head of UKIP, which... well, I'll just share their latest headline I guess.

a former UKIP councillor posted:

The only people I do have problems with are negroes. And I don’t know why.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/23/former-ukip-councillor-expelled-over-racism-row-claims-hidden-agenda

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's what Ramirez actually sees when he looks at the dress.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Let's have a moment of silence for all those who lost their jobs due to Obamacare.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Why the cock?
That cock represents Jeremiah Wright's "chickens coming home to roost" comment, apparently.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Invading armies with Satan among them
I chose to include the Chinese and Russians among the invading armies. Some of these soldiers are fleeing and others are in defiance, while still others are surrendering to the light. Among all these is the solitary dark figure that represents Satan. Can you find him?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hold the front page guys, I've just heard that OBAMA'S RESOLVE ON IRAN NUKES WORRIES MANY.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

A few weeks back he drew a cartoon of the evil US using Ukraine as an excuse to bully Putin.
Jesus Christ stop doing this every time Latuff makes a cartoon critical of the US

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

Latuff honestly believes that Russia is a plucky underdog standing up to capitalist Uncle Sam, and not an unabashedly corrupt hyper-oligarchy that just invaded one of its neighbors. He's what Rall would be if Rall had talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems like a pretty easy thing to check regardless

• Locked thread