Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ephex posted:

Okay, Berlin newspapers are officially badass

NO!
YOU CAN'T MURDER OUR FREEDOM

It's nice to see Germany and France on the same side of a fight. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stultus Maximus posted:

Actually it's more like making a breaking news story about whether or not some kids at Columbine were reacting to a bullying environment and what do you know, that was a major conversation that happened after that massacre! Turns out that they weren't, but the conversation about effects of bullying on unstable students still happened without a bunch of angry yelling about "victim blaming" because it was considered important to discuss a potentially toxic environment that leads to deplorable violence.

I have real difficulty with the idea that bullying and publishing insulting cartoons are at all equivalent.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

steinrokkan posted:

I occasionally doodle people with huge noses and goofy expressions, I guess I uphold the racist combined white-Zionist tyranny.

Great big honkers are also stereotypically French.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

albany academy posted:

i think 'misinterpret' is a bit of an understatement if it leads to 12 people being shot to death imo

I think it's a combination of "misinterpret", "react unacceptably", and "overreact". (It's not like it would have been okay if they'd killed just one person.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mellow Seas posted:

You know, maybe newspapers that aren't printing depictions of Mohammed aren't doing it out of fear or capitulation, but MAYBE because they have readers who are, you know, Muslims? Those people with religious beliefs, the overwhelming majority of whom are not guilty of ideological murder? And maybe just want to read the loving news without having their religious sensibilities offended?

If you require that the news never offend your sensibilities, I think you're doing it wrong.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mellow Seas posted:

What does printing a "drawing of Mohammed" (stereotypical Arab guy with the word "Mohammed" next to him) add to the reader's understanding of a story?

Because some people got so worked up about the drawing that they flipped out and killed people. I think the reader benefits by seeing what the fuss is about.

My memory isn't perfect, but I could swear they printed pictures of "Piss Christ" when that was a big deal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fried Chicken posted:

It wasn't "misinterpreted" and it wasn't "over a cartoon". It was a calculated act with an intended effect

http://www.juancole.com/2015/01/sharpening-contradictions-satirists.html

An intended effect that thus far appears to be working, btw.

Yeah, I think "misinterpret" is not right. My bad. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Broken Cog posted:

Hm, I haven't checked that out. Maybe I should have a look. Thanks.

John Oliver is pretty great, and he also does a podcast (The Bugle) that does a fair amount of political satire/criticism/reporting.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bicyclops posted:

It's kind of okay that we had a long discussion about it, I mean some chat is bound to happen and at least this one is pretty directly about political cartoons. I get that people reacted really harshly to old GBS but this persistent idea that any time a thread veers from its purpose it's a "derail" and that the derail is bad is really, really weird.

I think it was pretty good that the discussion didn't get too insulting and mean. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I wonder if it bothers him to depict French people not losing/running from a battle.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

Actually, if they freely chose not to run stupid Mohammed cartoons out of respect for, you know, the many people who aren't wackjob fundamentalists, then that's also free speech.

Sure, but I have trouble believing that's their motivation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

That's fine, but not including the cartoons out of a fear that their office will be shot up is not political correctness gone mad, so that McCoy is poo poo regardless.

Can't argue with this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

loquacius posted:

Are those supposed to be their Adam's apples in her hands, or did she pull their balls up through their clothes?

There are two for each guy, so I'm thinking balls.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He wrote an article about Charlie Hebdo that touches on the same theme: https://medium.com/the-nib/political-cartooning-is-almost-worth-dying-for-5fb3a0e79370

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gilganixon posted:

Giving Branco the benefit of the doubt here but he could just have drawn a gun on himself to show that he's just as vulnerable to being attacked for drawing people badly and therefore feels some solidarity with the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists.

This is what I was thinking. If he thought the cartoonists should be armed, he'd have been less subtle and sympathetic towards them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cat Mattress posted:

Ever seen an Asterix comic? Everybody has big noses in French cartoons and comics. Huge honkers and the One and Only Way to draw noses. Here's some other examples:

The Gallic nose is big. Big like a pickle, they're still gettin' paid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chewbaccanator posted:

Thank you again, flowers, great effortpost.

Do you know when they'll release their next issue? I'll see if I can grab a copy here in Germany.

The next issue will have a million copies printed. Comes out on Wednesday: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ng-9965277.html

Also, thanks for the great explanation, Flowers. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hey, no.
I have not seen a person wearing a turban unless they are an imam.
Pretty much no one wears a Turban in the Arab world unless they are an Imam.

Citation: I'm Algerian.

It's not just the big noses, it's the caricature that's been associated time and time again with terrorists and radicals used to represent a generic Arab or even a generic Muslim. Never mind the majority aren't even Arab.

Especially that ratty beard and dirty unkempt look.

Is there a name for that butt-hat that Mohammed is wearing when they put him on the cover?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

At first glance, this looked like a Catalino. Bad drawing, and stuff that looks copy-pasted from elsewhere.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Deep Hurting isn't syndicated is he? I mean, I know he's controversial here but I don't think you can deny the dude is a talented artist. Kreider only published in alt weeklies, so I don't know what they are looking for.

Kreider's retired from cartooning, isn't he?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

The dude who made this is making $3,500+ a month on Patreon.

Yup.

Are the cartoons something he does in his spare time?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

T-man posted:

How many iterations of this thread have you been around? You should know by now that talent and payment are entirely disconnected here. :shrek:

Hope and/or naivete spring eternal. :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

Let me be clear that it's really cool that Patreon is serving as another way for artists to make a living. However, it's hard to get pumped about a transphobic, misogynist, homophobic and all-around rear end in a top hat dude making a living off his lovely Christian version of the Oatmeal when far better cartoonists are struggling to get even a few hundred a month.

I hadn't heard of this guy before, but wow. I wonder if the Oatmeal guy can sue him or something. It would be fun, at least. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I apologize for being That Guy, but I have a request. (I checked the OP, and didn't see this cartoon there.) There was a cartoon where it was made up of six(?) panels. The first showed a guy getting tortured and was labeled "enhanced interrogation". The other panels were various historical crimes, like slavery being labeled "enhanced labor". Does anyone remember the cartoon I'm talking about?

Many thanks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Eschers Basement posted:

That's an awesome comic, Ruben, but what the gently caress happened to your lettering?

The "s" characters are driving me nuts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bitey posted:

Why, backstage at a play, is there a sign that says ON AIR rather than QUIET?

Because if you tell people to be quiet, they'll ask why. The "on air" sign tells them why.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bitey posted:

I mean, a play is a live-action thing, it's not "on air." I believe the signs shown backstage in Birdman say "quiet."

Whoops. My bad. :blush:

(I saw the movie, but I don't remember what the signs were like. I'm not a super-close-observer of things.)

And I also didn't realize it was a Birdman cartoon until other people pointed it out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internet Webguy posted:

I'll leave it up to others to post all the "terrorists set to attack malls" comics.

I wish Boehner were a Democrat instead of a Republican. He's got such a cool look; like the Cigarette-Smoking man from X-Files. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The saying is "forty acres and a mule".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tom Guycot posted:

god I loving love Pope's Tony Abbott so much.

Is there any particular reason why Abbot is only wearing a tie and loincloth?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheMaskedChemist posted:

Can someone explain why the Clinton email thing is such a big loving deal? It seems like a total non-issue.

It's not a non-issue, but (of course) it's not as big as the Republicans say it is. Remember when it turned out Sarah Palin was using Hotmail (or whatever), and somebody guessed her password? That was a similar thing. The government is supposed to keep records so that we can find out what they said or did. (Assuming we can get them to let us see the documents.) People have been trying to FOIA records for a while now, and they haven't gotten any of Hillary's e-mail because of this.

That said, I thought the guy from "Lowering the Bar" had a good summation: "Let me see if I understand—you're not that bothered by torture, but are horrified by the practice of keeping email on the wrong server."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't follow the thread as closely as I used to (my apologies); have there been any cartoons about the racist frat chanting at Oklahoma U? (Searching for "frat" or "fraternity" didn't turn up anything.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The 2018 FIFA World Cup will surely be held in Russia after their marvelous job handling the last Olymppics.

If Putin decides that Russia wants it, who's going to tell him "no"?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I don't care about the rest of Rall's work; that first panel is hilarious.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They're all still bring up cattle futures and Vince Foster, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what Hillary does, they'll scream that she did $THING with the same volume no matter what $THING they decide to use.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Je suis fatigue posted:

I thought by the end he was gonna leave enough letter to spell LIAR but instead it's supposed to be what, democrats have no good candidates now after emailghazi? This is honestly the first Ramirez in this entire chain of threads that I've been reading that I don't get.

Because Hillary hid/deleted her e-mails, she deleted her presidential campaign chances.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Warcabbit posted:

The latest rumor is that Clarkson clocked Piers Morgan. Which, er, does put a different complexion on things.

:confused: That was eleven years ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fried Chicken posted:

That was in 2004. The word is this was over a meat tray - Clarkson wanted steak, and got brought a charcuterie platter instead, and he lost his poo poo at his boss

Producers aren't really the bosses of "talent" on shows like that, especially for people who are famous and important to the show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

beepsandboops posted:

Is . . . the cartoonist trying to loop this back around into a torture cartoon? :psyduck:

I didn't think so at first, but you've got an orange jumpsuit, which is what we make prisoners wear. And some of the torture involved "stress positions", so that's why she's saying "yoga position". Did Hillary ever defend torture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

loquacius posted:

I'd say someone should poop-touch with this if I wasn't 100% sure 7oden would just take it as an attack on the Constitution because he is kind of dumb

Well, duh. What, do you expect him to change his mind? :rolleye:

• Locked thread