Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yo, the header image breaks the tables, which is pretty sucky for such an information-heavy infopost. :(

Also, I'm gonna edit the 2014 Gay Abortions winners into here when they come out (for easy reference) but for now I just want to leave everybody with this thing so that nobody ever forgets that it exists:

Here we go (for when the Gay Abortions 2014 thread gets archived but this thread is still live)

Chamale posted:

January 1st edit: The winners! Here are this year's Gay Abortions Awards:

Worst Middle East Cartoon

Yaakov Kirschen wins a Gay Abortion Award in a landslide over runner-up Michael Ramirez with 44% of the vote. Kirschen is a long-running Israeli cartoonist who surprised everyone by becoming even more anti-Muslim over the past few months.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon

Michael Ramirez wins this Gay Abortion Award with 28% of the vote, and also placed in second for this category. This victim-blaming cartoon posits that an unarmed teenager shot to death by a police officer is solely responsible for his own death.

Worst Torture Report Cartoon

Ramirez wins his second Gay Abortion Award of the year with 45% of the vote, over runner-up Mike Lester. Many hack cartoonists are known to uses 9/11 victims as mouthpieces for their views, in this case Ramirez's view that torture is acceptable when America does it.

Worst The Interview Cartoon

Glenn Foden wins a Gay Abortion Award with 55% of the vote, over runner-up Michael Ramirez. This cartoon about North Korea-backed hackers pressuring Sony into pulling The Interview manages to be both incoherent and racist.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy

Ramirez wins his third Gay Abortion Award of the year with 20% of the vote, over runner-up Mike Lester. Ramirez would like to remind the oppressed that any protests will result in the media focussing on opportunistic looters and not the important reasons for the protest.

Worst caricature

Ramirez wins his fourth Gay Abortion Award with 33% of the vote, over runner-up Yaakov Kirschen. It looks like Holder's head has stolen all of the extra mass from Wormbama tiny narrow skull.

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon

Glenn McCoy wins this Gay Abortion Award with 17% of the vote, narrowly beating A.F. Branco. "A Thing Happened" cartoons simply depict events that happened, but Glenn McCoy's racism shone like polished poo poo in a pile of mud.

Worst Label

Michael Ramirez wins his fifth Gay Abortion Award this year with 27% of the vote, over runner-up iNCK. We're really getting sick of this guy and his overly cross-hatched cartoons comparing large objects to the size of the national debt.

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon

Stilton Jarlsberg wins this coveted Gay Abortion Award with 24% of the vote, over runner-up Gary McCoy. This is a hotly contested category each year, and Hope 'N Change won because this cartoon slanders some unfortunate stock photo model.

Laziest cartoon

Bob Gorrell wins this Gay Abortion award with 55% of the vote, over distant second Michael Ramirez. If I put as much effort into this sentence as Gorrell gave to this cartoon,

Most easily reinterpreted

Michael Ramirez wins his sixth Gay Abortion Award of the year with 57% of the vote, over runners-up Bruce Tinsley and A.F. Branco. This cartoon takes a bible verse about The Lord turning weapons into farming tools, and depicts Obama doing something similar.

Overall worst political cartoon of the year

Michael Ramirez wins the ultimate Gay Abortion Award of 2014 with 43% of the vote, and also takes the runner-up position. Ramirez has a history of winning these awards by using the dead as a soapbox.

Best Edit/Parody

Forums user Saint Sputnik wins this delightful award with 27% of the vote, over runner-up Gilganixon. More of these parodies can be found at Ye Fowl Herald's tumblr.

Here's a couple standouts that didn't win but shouldn't be forgotten either (largely Branco):

Gary McCoy shouldn't get to me because he's such a puerile little poo poo, but the banality of "rolling my eyes at these protesters who want to overturn the natural order of things and NOT get murdered (and eaten)" is utterly odious.

Notable mostly for the fact that it was immediately reuploaded with no change other than removing the dude's mustache.

Lest we forget, "IF GLOBAL WARMING WHY COLD IN ANTARCTIC?? :supaburn:" *draws identical picture to 6 other people*

WELCOME TO HELL, MEGAN

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Holy poo poo, this popped up on Town Hall for yesterday.

A few pages back, but I looked on Cagle, Gorrel isn't on there anymore. I looked on Gorrell's site, and there's no cartoon between December 30 and January 2. So as far as I can tell, for once that's not Gorrell's fault.

I was going to save that cartoon for the 2015 Gay Abortions, but it doesn't belong, oh no. :(

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Cpt.Americant posted:

What is the Kate Beaton treatment.. or do I even want to know?

One time Kate Beaton came to SA, decided she didn't like it, and left. For years afterward, in fact to this very day, goons have self-flagellated and sent her dumb apologies on behalf of other people, and bringing up the "Kate Beaton treatment" is one of those instances of self-flagellation. Kate-chan, I can improve myself for you, come baaaack~

hrm yes of all the things to comment on, here have this awful thing to make up for it:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 3, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

My feelings about the attack are complicated and this isn't the place to sort them out, so instead I'm going to bury myself into minutiae and babble about the definition of A Thing Happened.

I think a lot of people misunderstand what A Thing Happened means (because it's such well-defined technical jargon) and that led to a lot of inappropriate cartoons in the category in the Gay Abortions. Being about a current event doesn't in itself make a cartoon A Thing Happened, it also needs to lack any sort of message beyond that the event happened dressed bland sentiments generic to that sort of event, or else an apolitical joke. "Someone died, I'm mourning," "someone accomplished something apolitical, good on them," "a bad guy did a thing, time for payback," that sort of thing. They run the gamut from Don Armussen's Bad Reporter to memorial cartoons, Krieder's Well, Well, Well... to this steaming garbage. Done well, they can be hysterical, most of the time they're utterly inoffensive, but done badly you either get an insultingly awful joke or worse, an unintentionally offensive message like that Robin Williams obituary cartoon where Genie says "Finally, I'm free!"

If your cartoon makes a contentious point, it's no longer A Thing Happened, it's a regular editorial cartoon. "Overexposed celebrity is dumb and I hate her" is A Thing Happened, "Rams players expressing solidarity with the Ferguson protesters are only doing it to get attention, shame on them" is disgusting but I really think it shouldn't have won the 2014 Gay Abortion because it doesn't fit in the category. So let's analyze these two cartoons now that we've got a definition.

The Branco cartoon is solidly A Thing Happened. All it says is "solidarity with France" and "argh bad guys, let's shoot 'em." That would be utterly bland except that it's Branco doing the talking, the only way to get him on the same side as France, let alone drawing hearts, is for there to be Muslims as bad guys. The gun is also ridiculous even though I don't think he's saying "if they had a gun this wouldn't have happened." Thanks to the lack of abstraction, what he is saying is way stupider: "Political cartooning is a dangerous job, for hardened badass action heroes like me. Come at me, bro, MOLON LABE." We're a week into the year and we've already got a solid contender for "worst A Thing Happened cartoon" for the 2015 First Trimester Gay Abortions.

The Rall cartoon, while equally self-congratulatory, is at least making a point. "We are a nation of cowards for not giving a bigger role to the world's bravest heroes, political cartoonists. NO WONDER AMERICA IS DYING." It suggests a course of action that isn't just the default response to a terrorist attack.

The Catalino is, well, Catalino-grade A Thing Happened. Cartoonists threatened: political cartoons are the greatest weapon. Muslim terrorist attack: kill 'em all oorah. There's so little there that it doesn't even manage to say anything stupid.

So yeah I hope this nitpicking to rigorously define this thread's technical jargon is helpful to someone.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Since we're thinking about Gay Abortions, I whipped up a list of perennialy-appropriate categories, mostly taken from last year's awards but with a little bit of organization to give some guidance to voters. Technical categories are for showcasing incompetence in the noble art of editorial cortooning, while style categories are for showcasing the most odious human beings in the field.

Technical:
Laziest cartoon
Worst caricature
Most easily reinterpreted cartoon, aka A Good Cartoon
Greatest failure to achieve banality
Nonsense, this is an election year! aka least intelligible cartoon
The Ross Gosse Award for Excellence in Excessively Long or Otherwise Inappropriate Labels That Result in Overstretched or Mixed Metaphors, or Otherwise Belabor or Confuse the Point
Overall worst cartoon of the trimester (technical)

Style:
Most self-congratulatory cartoon
Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon
Worst Middle East cartoon
Worst victim-blaming cartoon
Worst cartoon about a tragedy, not otherwise specified [catch-all for cartoons that don't fall into another topical category]
[Other topical categories, to be determined]
Overall worst cartoon of the trimester (style)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Kopijeger posted:

How about this: the US as a shark, devouring a seal labelled "The Middle East", and those organisations as pilot fish nibbling on the remains.

US is a farmer, scattering seeds from a pouch "Bombs & More," and the organizations are growing into Audrey IIs.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

T-man posted:

Dog for president, 2016. I bet he's a RINO, though.

Dunno what to tell you, if you've got eyes he's clearly a Yellow Dog.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Hey, I think we're all being a little harsh on this cartoon. Notice how Obama's surrounded by a halo in the dense scribbles? For the first time, that's part of the composition! There's a reason for there to be less background in that part of the scene. Can't say the same for Little "Jobs" John, but hey, progress is progress. :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

And people thought Rall had the worst possible Charlie Hebdo cartoon. SPOKE TOO SOON.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

eNeMeE posted:

Is Obama secretly an owl?

Yes.

(I forget who made that, speak up!)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Have :911:State Rights:911: ever been used to not defend something utterly horrible? I have yet to see it

Okay, so all of these things people are talking about above, they've been done or argued for on the state level on account of our federal system sure. But have their proponents used the banner of :911:State Rights:911: in their campaigns, or were they just done as part of the normal political process?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Schizotek posted:

There's a metric fuckton of nearly identical but slightly different dinosaurs anyway. Your average jackass on the street would probably call every single one of these a loving T-Rex, but that doesn't mean they are. It's unbelievably loving stupid and my church as a teenager brought up the same stupid argument.

e: I'm mad. About dinosaur bones.

On the bright side you just introduced me to Erectopus and Sinraptor, maybe God has a plan for them after all.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why is it always half-japanese?

At least in Miller's case, I think it's because the guy himself is half-Japanese? :shrug:

And of course he used that as license to be super racist.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Ohio's flag is pretty great. It's the only one in the entire union that's not a boring old rectangle. Yeah, suck that swallowtail design, Texas!

It gets major props for the burgee, but the actual design is kind of a mess. How many stars are there, and where do they go? Still, even more bonus points for that one time when Obama was in Ohio and people freaked out about how he was going to change the US flag into a new Obama flag because he's a potentate.

In any case, it's always good to look up to what the experts have to say on the matter.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Odd seeing a Gorrel that's a shoo-in for a Gay Abortion other than Laziest Cartoon. (it's Worst Label in case you're wondering)

quote:

Taxpayer money exists to get between your butt and the floor when the poop comes out of your butt. This is a metaphor I can get behind!

quote:

Debt is inescapable. A Good Cartoon.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

A quick google search of his armband says that he's from a province in west-central Poland. The rest of the picture suggest that he's an anti-communist partisan.

Muir wishes he were Jim Davis. Say what you will against Davis, but at least he has an ethos.

Are you comparing Jim Davis to Hitler.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

Have some South African Lester Jerms!

INDIANS AND MUSLIMS ARE THE SAME AND MUSLIMS DON'T EAT BEEF RIGHT? HA HA.

Jerm is The Worst imo because as a rule of thumb I skip posts that don't contain pictures, or if the pictures are unpublished idiocy (Hope n' Change, DbD, SNAFU, etc), but Jerm's catoons aren't eminently skippable. Then I look at them and not only are they visually uglier than Lester's cartoons, they've got the Lester racism run through both Daily Mail ("overt racism is okay") and Afrikaner ("help I'm being oppressed by African blacks") filters.

I'm not saying to stop posting him or anything, but dear lord those cartoons are too repulsive for me.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

alnilam posted:

Start by filling me in on where the "Local Hero" joke came from, please?

It comes from this banner, should be self-explanatory.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Woodrow "He Kept Us Out Of War" Wilson certainly was known for his eagerness to go to war.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

alnilam posted:

Since there are about a million things laughably bad about that Branco, I'll focus on one:
Why is his expensive carbon fiber bike missing its chainstay, has a 1:1 gear ratio, and has tiny-rear end wheels and cranks? I mean I'm not expecting anything on the level of ramirez's lovingly rendered detailed drawings of ships and warplanes, but you could at least make the bicycle somewhat anatomical??

1) how ironic that he complain about carbon emissions when his own bike is made of carbon!!
2) hipster fixie lol
3) Branco has never seen a bike before, I mean look at those wheels.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

New Adarsh Balak:

Thanks for that, just last night I was thinking about the guy and struggling to remember his name. Searches for "comic where a straight-laced Indian kid gives his tax-burdened dad a joint" and the like weren't very productive.

SWAG

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

seiferguy posted:

A good political cartoonist is one that has pleasing images with a clear message, regardless of what their opinion is.

Allie, Latuff, Bennett and Asay are good at this. Ramirez is not.

Hrmmmmmmm.

Asay was absolutely a good illustrator, but:

He had a tendency to assume that his views were more mainstream than they actually were, and use stuff like bicycles the way another cartoonist would use swastikas. Otherwise, this is totally true though, and when he wasn't looking at the world through They Live glasses he was pretty clear.

Edit: man I feel like a gross pedant now. Yeah on the whole Asay was a skilled political cartoonist because even when his message was at its least clear, you'd say to yourself, "I dunno, you tell me." Unlike Michael "George Bush drove the economy, which is fueled by taxes, off a cliff" Ramirez, who at his most lucid makes "pee pee, doo doo" grade cartoons.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 20, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jhmm yes, that's an expression your character ever makes, he certainly isn't a smirking douchebag 100% of the time.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Apparently Muir didn't get the memo, Republicans hate SpaceX because it's Obama's Space Solyndraquiddick 2.0, the government shouldn't be picking winners and losers we should be sticking with good old defense contractors instead! Or maybe the talking points have changed in the past year or so, idk, but yes, at one point the GOP was against the government getting out of the rocket-building industry in favor of buying privately developed and manufactured rockets, because Obama was for it.

Lemme repeat that: the GOP opposed the government getting out of an industry in favor of letting private businesses handle it, because Obama was for it.

edit: Yep, they've been trying to pass laws to make SpaceX illegal at least as recently as August. In favor of a government-developed rocket that is way behind schedule and over budget, but then again maybe those guys are RINOs now. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that SpaceX's sister company Tesla Motors exists to bring economies of scale to electric cars to make them competetive with gas-powered cars. Republicans loving HATE Tesla.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 27, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Last time there was a pregnancy that seemed to o super quickly, I think somebody went back and nope, turns out it was actually nine months or so, the comic just moves so incredibly slowly that it felt like no more than a couple of weeks.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I love this thing so much, the caricature and the action are just so fun. "HOORAY HOUSES FOR EVERYONE YAAAY" - (v^8)}

quote:

Times:

This on the other hand is such tepid tripe. "Guys get this, Putin is... A RUSSIAN AUTOCRAT! Boogity!" The watercolor work is nice but the concept is "Mitt Romney wearing state-shaped sandals after winning that state's primary elections"-grade lazy.

Thanks for the rundown on the leanings of the different Brit papers, it helps a lot even though I do feel a bit dirty for liking the right-wing rags' cartoons better than Bell or Rowson.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Does anyone have the Owlbama edit on them? Someone I know just learned about wormbama and I think they'd like it.

It's me I have Owlbama open in a tab all the time:

Also this stupid loving thing by Me And Folly:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

That and he's photo-opping in front of a housing construction site that's completely empty of any housing or construction, which I would not have considered subtle prior to reading your post, but here we are.

What's that brown stuff on his trowel, why is he mortaring bricks with mud.

In all seriousness though, that's a pretty lousy cartoon. "'I promise you houses in the future!' 'Hey smarty-man, the houses don't exist yet! Checkmate.'" isn't a joke, because showing a construction site implies that the houses are going to exist, eventually. The Telegraph cartoon at least shows the houses as fictional.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Hey I've got some good news for you Dr. VooDoo those aren't the only political cartoons I keep in tabs that never close:

(There's more but this is the only good one for the context)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Shame on you, all these permanent cartoon tabs open and not one being the backwards bong?

I told you, that wasn't the last but only the most relevant! This one reminds us why we all love JRRose!:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The abortion guy is, in fact, on higher ground. AGC.

Morality is strictly a function of lives taken. Might makes Right! Thanks li'l babby Dials.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

itskage posted:

I pretty much skipped all of February because of burn out.

Can someone summarize last month with one cartoon and one Rorus Raz post?

Rorus Raz post is taken carre of (that seriously belongs in a museum but the tweets and tumblogs are close enough), here's your One Cartoon of the Month:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Cpt.Americant posted:

Am I missing something? What's culturally insensitive? I just see it as "drat, there are a lot of ethnic and religious groups that Americans know nothing about but whose existence actually makes a huge difference on the ground and so we should probably try to learn about them if we ever hope to not gently caress up when dealing with the world." Am I missing some hidden and horrible meaning?

Nah I get where colonel_korn is coming from. I mean you've basically got it, but by being sympathetic to Obama's plight it feels a bit like it's saying "jeez guys, why DO you have to be so diverse out there in the world?" I guess that's the danger of trying to make a nuanced cartoon rather than OBAMA BAD HE CREATE ISIS TO BAMBOOZLE WORLD! Also, one of the jokes is "Houthies sounds like Hootie [and the Blowfish]" and even though it's supposed to be at the dumb intelligence guy's expense, making fun of foreign names, especially in this context, is usually kinda gross.

It's at worst putting something kinda sleazy into the moth of someone who isn't an unequivocal villain, which intentional or not comes across as supporting the sentiment. M. Wuerker's one of the better cartoonists in the thread and he's not TRYING to be racist, which low bar as it is is one that 2/3 of our friends here have trouble clearing, but this one cartoon is a bit uncomfortable to read. Just sort of "ehh, I wish you hadn't put it in those words" insensitive, not "goddamn you loving piece of human trash" or even "I hadn't considered that giving the black guy watermelon-flavored toothpaste might be a bad idea" insensitive. Idk if this is how colonel_korn feels exactly the same way, but that's my take on it.

That's a lot of words to say "ehh that cartoon could have been thought through a little bit harder."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Oh loving yeah do tell me on how Netanyahu at all has the best interests of the world at heart Ramirez.

He's trying to snub Obama, the most important job in the world! Without Obamasnubs Obama might do a thing, like invite Iranian ISIS terrors into American malls.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's always fun asking those people which British prime minister declared war on Germany in 1939.

It was Margaret Thatcher, right?

In all seriousness, Neville Chamberlain's policy platform would delight modern Republicans, what with his love of budget surpluses and rearmament, and going to war after rearming. Then again with the military doctrine of "you go to war with the army you've got, not with the army you'd like to have" I can see why they'd hate him so much for that one thing. There's an interesting three-part series about Neville Chamberlain here, goes into detail about how he was quite nearly exactly the man that everybody says they wish he'd been, iirc even more hawkish against Germany than Churchill was.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Somfin posted:

There was an excellent competition a while back to make riffs on Asay's comics. He was always one of the most hated folks in this thread, so his retirement required a more thorough send-off. Most of these are from that.

Oh god I was hoping to see one of my entries come up but first I ran into this loving thing:

WHAT DO YOU THINK FOOD STAMPS ARE YOU VILE SHRIVELED LICH AUGH

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

So does he think that people want school breakfast because they're too lazy to fry an egg for their kids?

If I had to guess, he thinks that school lunches are part of the Liberal Government plot to destroy personal autonomy in a long con to gain power for its own sake. If people learn that Liberal Government can help them, then they'll become dependent on it and it can enact Phase Two of its nefarious plot: hooray the people have no free will anymore.

And no I'm not exaggerating, his infamous "don't feed the bears" cartoon lays out pretty much that exactly, and that's the standard Republican perception of the global warming issue: liberals are making up global warming as an excuse to implement more regulations, they want regulations because it means less power for the regulated, as an end unto itself. Notice how the comparison isn't "school breakfast versus no breakfast," Chuck thinks that without government interference every kid would be having a healthy and filling breakfast at home.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

No, government blames government for acting like business. Business is the thing that always focuses on revenue generation you idiotic gently caress. :cripes:

You're buying far too much of his narrative. The feds are blaming the police for acting like kleptocrats. Different government agencies, at different levels, have different leadership, different cultures, and different goals. It's like saying "Filing a lawsuit against a surgeon for intentionally leaving caltrops inside patients? How ironic, when they themselves are professionals!"

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

CampingCarl posted:

Going to go out on a limb and say he didn't actually shoot a federal agent.

Fake edit: Looking again I think that thing in the second panel is supposed to be a snake. It would be pretty lame to ruin your plot twist by showing that so that is probably what he did.

Hey Muir, you badass cool cowboy fired three shots! Since you load your wildlife protection revolver with a different round for each kind of animal you want to shoot, he probably went up to bobcat and then coyote shot after he fired the snake shot round, VERY reckless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Your pants will never be on the ground if you wear a dress.

Allow me to introduce you to the magical world of Art Frahm.

• Locked thread