Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We got this far without mentioning the incomprehensible Dr. Thinker?

I seem to only be able to find old MSTs of his work, but here are some choice lines from "Dimision Troubles":

"Serena: Look the same! Every the Cherry Bloosoms are out on the tree.
Amy: That person look like Chad and a unknown old person with
short red hair."

"Grya famous on Amy"

"Luna: She was not found the Dark Kindgom -- She on of us.
(Demon tranforms arms it a phyopath's ax. Amy dodges)
Luna: Catch! Say Mercury POWER!
Amy: OK! (Catches) MERCURY POWER!
(Amy is cover with 3 water waves. Out poops Sailor Mercury)"

You can read the MST here: http://svamcentral.org/ewic/mstings/DimisionMST.txt

Also, Artemis's Lover, a self-insertion fic wherein the author, a hermaphrodite, has sex with Artemis the magic moon cat.

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/papirini/kousagi/badfic/oscar/artloveunedit.txt :nws:

"Artemis was too perturbated to notice the 6 cats that were hcasing him."drat! i hate being such a sexy cat!!" Then a loud MEOW filled the air Artemis turned his back, and saw the other cats him "GET THE gently caress OFF MY BACK!YOU BASTARDS, I'M IN A REALLY BAD MOOD TODAY!"he said as he prepared his claws and teeth to fight, he knew that he'll lost, but he couldn't just let those cats kick his butt without a fight. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think there was some weird TVTropes-favorite story describing a war between earth and heaven in the most :spergin: way possible that was like 2 million words. Might not be fanfiction? I'm not entirely sure.

e: what happened to the tvtropes thread? I haven't looked for it in months.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Feb 9, 2015

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Anatharon posted:

I think there was some weird TVTropes-favorite story describing a war between earth and heaven in the most :spergin: way possible that was like 2 million words. Might not be fanfiction? I'm not entirely sure.

e: what happened to the tvtropes thread? I haven't looked for it in months.

The Salvation War? Not fanfic, just a great premise mediocrely written by a sperglord.

e: Terrible Fanfiction Thread - Mediocrely Written By a Sperglord

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ungulateman posted:

The Salvation War? Not fanfic, just a great premise mediocrely written by a sperglord.

e: Terrible Fanfiction Thread - Mediocrely Written By a Sperglord

Seriously. I'm not sure how it managed to make an army of rebelling souls in hell with an army lead by the greatest generals of history boring.

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
A month or so ago, my friends and I discovered this gem: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2709879/1/JigSonic
A Sonic the Hedgehog/SAW crossover fanfic, apparently one of five such works on ff.net. It features the classic sonic
crew being placed into a variety of deathtraps designed to make them consider their character flaws/maim or kill them

Quote in spoilers, as character(s) die.

Knuckles stood up and looked around him. There was so much clutter, finding the key would be like finding a shard of the master emerald in the ocean.

"Why bother looking for a key when I can just pull this stupid thing off? When I get out of here, I'm gonna make you pay for this!" And with that,
the hotheaded echidna started tugging at the belt around his waist. However, just as it was about to snap, the timer issued a tone, and the explosives
issued flames and shrapnel. Before Knuckles died screaming, one last thought crossed his mind. 'How could I have failed?'

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Has anyone heard the name Netraptor? She wrote this gigantic Sonic fanfic series for like a decade. Her site's gone now, but some of the highlights include time police, an homage to Hank the Cowdog (some series of kids books), Christian values, an OC who's a sparkledog-esque raptor (not like a Sonic furry but a literal raptor), and Shadow becoming a cyborg.

Part of me thinks they weren't that bad, but that might just be rose-tinted glasses.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Mr Tastee posted:

Has anyone heard the name Netraptor? She wrote this gigantic Sonic fanfic series for like a decade. Her site's gone now, but some of the highlights include time police, an homage to Hank the Cowdog (some series of kids books), Christian values, an OC who's a sparkledog-esque raptor (not like a Sonic furry but a literal raptor), and Shadow becoming a cyborg.

Part of me thinks they weren't that bad, but that might just be rose-tinted glasses.

Did she have a self-insert character who was a velociraptor? Because I remember reading a Sonic fanfic like that when I was a kid.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

If Garfield - First Blood II: Forever Fist isn't in here, it's probably because of a mistake: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6611927/1/Garfield-First-Blood-Part-II-Forever-Fist

I am just like Garfield in that I turn my DIO to beyond maximum volume.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Feb 12, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle

It's basically fanfiction by the second book anyways.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Finisher1 posted:

Did she have a self-insert character who was a velociraptor? Because I remember reading a Sonic fanfic like that when I was a kid.

Yeah, that's the one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr Tastee posted:

Yeah, that's the one.

Is this her?

http://www.netraptor.org/

searching for it led me to a wiki user page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Shaftman

quote:

Shaftman is a member of the NetRaptor.org forums, which is dedicated to a number of topics ranging from everyday life, to entertainment, to the most bizaare. Shaftman joined NetRaptor.org in March of 1999, under the username Shaft Hedgehog. He had picked the name of Shaft after seeing the Shaft
remake starring Samuel L. Jackson, and liked the movie so much that he gave himself the name of the title character.

After a while, he shortened his name to Shaft H, which eventually went down to just Shaft. His alias stayed this way for some time, until just recently, when he added the suffix "-man" to the end of his name. He's is quoted to saying "it just looks better this way". Dispite his alias, his peers just resort to calling him by his actual name, Jeff.

Besides being an active member of the NetRaptor.org forums, Shaftman was once a writer of Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction. His works can still be viewed from the NetRaptor.org fanfiction archives. His first attempt at writing was titled "The Revenge of Mecha Sonic", which according to him was "a semi-original story, semi-adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog 3".

After great reviews, Shaftman began his second piece of fiction. This story was a complete adaptation of ADV Films' "Sonic The Hedgehog: The Movie", with some elements from the videogame "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" incorporated into the story. This story was a prequel to his first work, "The Revenge of Mecha Sonic", and was titled "A Tale of Two Sonics". This story received critical acclaim from many people, even winning an award in the NetRaptor.org Field of Story Excellence.

Much to the dismay of his fans, Shaftman stopped writing in the summer of 2001, when he gave up on his third piece of fanfiction. It's working title was "Assault From Hell", and was the author's first attempt at a crossover story, fusing the monsters from "Aliens" with the universe of Sonic the Hedgehog. Fans rejoiced when he would release a new spoiler from his story every couple of months, but eventually, he had simply given up on it due to writer's block. "It's just too hard," Shaftman told his peers, "To write these two universes together and make it work, it takes a level of writing genius that surpasses my own, if there's a level even out there."

Fans of Shaftman's work are in for a surprise however. The former author has recently announced he will be returning to the world of fanfiction after four years of hiatus. He will still be writing fanfiction based off of Sonic the Hedgehog, but will also be writing a number of other fanfiction based off of other properties, including Dragonball Z, Final Fantasy, and the zombie genre. Several communities are preparing for his first work of fiction, already going as far as to call it "the most anticipated day in history since D Day."

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

So I used to write lovely My Little Pony fanfics when I was a high school freshman. I recently rediscovered my Fanfiction.net account and was prepared to post the fanfics in this thread. However, I had the bright idea of narrating it with the thread's OP since we're friends IRL. So, without further ado, here it is.

Link to the original fanfic

JollityFarm
Dec 29, 2011
Zarla collects bad fan fiction quotations. The collection goes back ten years or so. It's amazing.

:nws: and :nms: link, obviously.

Also, to contribute more directly, my current favorite fan fiction author.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

UltraVariant posted:

So I used to write lovely My Little Pony fanfics when I was a high school freshman. I recently rediscovered my Fanfiction.net account and was prepared to post the fanfics in this thread. However, I had the bright idea of narrating it with the thread's OP since we're friends IRL. So, without further ado, here it is.

:suspense:

We all knew something like this was gonna happen, right?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

UltraVariant posted:

When you said "high school freshman," I thought "oh someone who really liked that 80s cartoon at the turn of the century." I keep forgetting it's 2015 and "high school freshman" can mean something as recent as 2014. We all had stuff we liked overmuch, and we're all nerds here so every one of us probably has a few dumb fan works out there somewhere on the wilds of the internet. I figured your link would have some silly short stories and I thought, "Maybe it'd make for a good segue to offer my own stuff for a roast, I'm sure I could dig it up and we could all have a good laugh at how I thought it was good writing, or even just funny at all!"

I was not expecting this.

v don't act so innocent you're the guy's irl friend and you helped him record that... that

you're an enabler

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Feb 22, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Never again, man....never again.

Seriously, you needed a psychologist during freshman year. Maybe a psychiatrist, if you really needed the drugs.

I...just what?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Variant_Eris posted:

Never again, man....never again.

Seriously, you needed a psychologist during freshman year. Maybe a psychiatrist, if you really needed the drugs.

I...just what?
I still have 4 more, mind you.

4 more episodes of Fanfiction Hell.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Falcon2001 posted:

Having grown up with friends who wrote and read fanfiction obsessively, nothing in My Immortal is beyond the pale for me. If it really is fake, it's not nearly fake enough.

My Immortal is fake, on the basis of one primary thing. While there are fanfiction 'writers' who are that bad, they have immensely fragile egos and are looking for praise. If My Immortal was legit, the writer would have quit three or four chapters in, probably putting in one last bit yelling at everyone who was insulting them. They don't handle criticism well, or at all. The fact it kept going denotes someone with a wholly different intention. It's a troll fic.

Really though, 99.9 percent of exceptionally terrible fanfiction is either troll fics or mental masturbation of a whole bunch of stripes. You have to go REALLY beyond the pale to be more than just someone's ego jackoff material, or just literal jackoff material. Fallout Equestria is a good example: it's a bunch of men who are terrified that people will make fun of their nonexistent masculinity so they take the little girl's show they like and insert all the most graphic and grim poo poo they can to prove it, and they, are mature, which of course has the exact opposite effect. Even stuff like Methods is just masturbation; you have to get to Pokegirls level misogyny before it becomes truly BAD.

On that basis, the worst fanfic I've ever tried to peruse is The Girl Who Lived, which seems to have been mostly purged from the internet as if (here's the Encyclopedia Dramatica page if you really care). On the surface it's just another 'gender flips Harry Potter, turns character into horrific Mary Sue' story, but there's two exceptionally aggravating aspects to it that elevate it above the rest.

1) It plagiarizes massive chunks of J.K Rowling's actual work.

2) The 'writer' clearly thought they were superior to Rowling, so there's all this snide mockery of aspects in the books all throughout the 'story', primarily the main character explaining jokes like the writer believed the jokes were stupid.

So this 'writer' not only had the gall to steal huge parts of the actual book, but spend the whole time insulting it and Rowling. Most fanfiction is terrible, but for the absolute worst, I think it's about the closest you can come to defiling a work. At least Methods didn't mix outright theft with all his arrogant masturbation.

Cornwind Evil has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Feb 22, 2015

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Cornwind Evil posted:

My Immortal is fake, on the basis of one primary thing. While there are fanfiction 'writers' who are that bad, they have immensely fragile egos and are looking for praise. If My Immortal was legit, the writer would have quit three or four chapters in, probably putting in one last bit yelling at everyone who was insulting them. They don't handle criticism well, or at all. The fact it kept going denotes someone with a wholly different intention. It's a troll fic.

Well, she also hooks up with Marty McFly at one point. So that should probably also be a tipoff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JollityFarm posted:

Also, to contribute more directly, my current favorite fan fiction author.

quote:

ShakespeareHemmingway Author has written 23 stories for Garfield

And I stopped right there. That's some balls. "ShakespeareHemmingway" writes GARFIELD.

JollityFarm
Dec 29, 2011

Davros1 posted:

And I stopped right there. That's some balls. "ShakespeareHemmingway" writes GARFIELD.

Garfield: First Blood Part II: Forever Fist posted:

"Haha Garfield it is too late. Natalie Portman soul is mine and my life will be immortal!" Ashton Kutcher declared with vile grin.
"Fool your life is short, but my fist is FOREVER." Garfield roared as he charged inner power to max and sent fists flying at Ashton Kutcher at earthquake speed making him supernova.

Are you saying that's NOT Hemingway-level writing quality? :colbert:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ShakespeareHemmingway and Hans von Hozel are both god-tier trolls, but even they are bested by ComicsNix:

"Love Beyond Circuits, Love Beyond Flesh" posted:

Granted my fellow cilindrical pal, you can enter my dark caves of mystery." said Optimus.

"Blip Blop Blop!!" said R2-D2. This was his first time loving a robot. He was completely virgin, and was very ashamed he had to expose his intimacy in front of an audience of millions. But their lifes were at stake, so he must swallow all of his prejudcies and engage full head in this life altering experience.

"Leia" said Optimus," hang on!" and Leia hold very harder Optmus dick. Optimus got up a bit and gave space to R2-D2. Leia was hanging on Optimus dick while R2-D2 seached the best cordinates to penetrate Optimus experimental anus. Luckly for him, Prime's anus was automated to adjust the best diameter for foreign objects entering him.R2-D2 positioned and Optimus seated on him.

R2 was shaking and freightened. Optimus anal cavity was dark and moist, had some loose wires and was rusting from inside. He started to think sex was not made to coward robots like him.

"Don't be afraid" said Optimus to R2 "I'll help you!" and Optimus bowels lights got on. Everything wwas iluminated and R2 really saw what it really was. A beautifully adorned rectum, full of portraits of Prime's human friends that already visited the place. A camera apppeared from a wall and photographed R2-D2, and immediatelly put a portrait of him on a the bowel wall.

[...]

That penis was the property of a long dead alien. Jar Jar Binks to be more exact. After the jedi massacre by the Emperor and Lord Vader, Jar Jar was captured when he was hiding at Tatooine by Jabba's bontyhunters. He was tortured for a week without rest, and after that time, his body got quartered and his penis was sealed inside a carbonite container. A little trophy Jabba had been saving, but his new business need some sacrifices to be made, so now he uses Jar Jar's penis for a greater purpose.

After a while, it's done. The penis is active and Optimus can control it. His entire life he has been praying for a small penis, and now, he have one, given by his owner Jabba. Leia looked Optimus eyes and smilled tenderly. The Jar Jar penis got attached on the top of Optimus metal penis. It looked like a small phimosis.

Leia climb his metal dick and reach the top. The moment arrived, finally, Optimus can gently caress. Leia slowly put his alien dick inside her wet vagina, and Prime enjoy. Leia doesn't even is felling ashamed of showing her sexual skills in front of millions of spectators. This moment is owned by the two, and they live it to the maximum their bodies permit.

There's also his magnum opus :nms: "Doomsday Womb" :nms:, which I would love to quote here if not for its pedophilia and bestiality. Still linking it because it is absolutely his defining creation.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Feb 22, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cornwind Evil posted:

But she ran a Youtube channel with Raven. If it were a trollfic, whoever wrote it would have to have coordinated making a youtube channel starring girls acting like idiot teenagers. Not to mention, Raven was writing lovely HP self-insert fics that romance Draco at the same time as Tara. Including slapfights over posters and sweaters.

I'm Not Okay posted:

a/n: TARA IS DA BIGGEST loving BITCH EVER AND BY THE WAY I'M A BIGGER MCR FAN AND GERARD IS MINE 4EVA SO gently caress U! AND I'M NOT GIVING U UR SWEATER BACK

Eternity was so happy. She went to class with the other fifth-years, Sea, Draco, Shadow, Darren and Satan. That loving retard Elvira (whose real name was Lindsay like that loving ho Lindsay Loan) had gone all the way back to first-year and they put her in Gryffindor where all the retarded preps were because she couldn't even write properly and she had to get her friends 2 do it for her.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I did the sequel. The OP and I might start doing any terrible fanfics besides my own. That would be fun.

Video
Fanfic

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
There's one terrible fanfic I remember vividly from my childhood, and I remember it mostly because I think it was the first work of fiction I ever read that seemed to me to be trying to force a system of mortality on its readers. Seriously. I'm probably going to be ashamed of all the :words: I'm about to type but this fanfic really freaked me out when I was a kid, and not because of sex or rape or anything like that. Honestly this story would probably belong in the "I was friends with an anime girl" thread in

My first internet forum were the official Nintendo forums. They're closed now but before that Nintendo allowed people posting fan-fics, even giving a whole board for fanfics, and back then I liked reading them. A lot of them were incomprehensible word vomit, which meant the ones with actually literate writers got a lot of readers. I remember there was a gang of Metroid writers who loved writing sprawling Metroid "epics" , with each user taking turns writing chapters. A few times they offered readers the chance to write chapters of their own, but whenever someone outside their circle wrote a chapter all the new characters they introduced would die and their plot twists untwisted. Honestly it was a weird community, but the weirdest of them all was SSJDKCREW.

SSJ was super-popular because he was one of the literate ones and he began with writing "novelizations" of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Then he started working on sequels and things got really freaking weird. They started out normally enough, but in the middle of Link fighting off new evils and poo poo as you'd expect suddenly an Earth-man in his '50s named Mark warped into Hyrule. He went on to take this grand tour of Hyrule and all its races, and what do you know, Hyrule's a utopia! You see because the only bad people that ever showed up in Hyrule in OoT were Ganon or Ganon-influenced, obviously Hylians didn't have original sin, I guess. I remember how SSJ would engage in long explanations pointing this out, and when people pointed out exceptions in the game, like this house where everbody was cursed into spiders due to their greed or this graveyard dungeon that had text talking about how bloody Hyrule's history was, he'd come up with some dismissive explanation for that. I learned what abortion was because of how Mark was explained to how the local race of woman-warriors conceived through meditation and, when he explained to a woman sometimes children weren't wanted in America and how they were aborted, she was horrified and talked about how meditation meant all children were wanted. Eventually he went visiting back to Earth to try to bring his family to Hyrule, but they tell him Hyrule sounds stupid and they'd rather have TVs and make-up and stuff and so he abandons them forever. I don't think he's ever important to the story after this.

It gets worse. The next part is a sequel to Wind Waker, the game which I remember him claiming literally made him cry because it destroyed Hyrule (by flooding it). He used examples like a hobo and a rich man who show up in the game to explain how the island world of Wind Waker had become as horrible and sinful as our own. The original Link comes forward in time, works together with Wind Waker Link to fight Ganondorf again, and at the end? Link decides that the new world is horribly evil because it isn't as perfect as Hyrule. He tells the other Link this, who freaks out about how he's basically destroying all the people of his timeline, and the first Link basically says "Yep, and they all deserve it too" and whisks back to his own time to retcon Wind Waker out of existence.

To cap it all off Link rejects every other love interests that comes his way and marries Saria, his childhood friend who is of a race that never grows up, but stay as children forever.

Honestly I remember me and several others arguing with him how messed up this seemed, but in retrospect he seemed to be pretty messed up. He and his eternal supporter, and online girlfriend called HYLIANELF, seemed obsessed with the N64 Hyrule as some perfect Edenic utopia, and both thought WW left them heart-broken and betrayed. The girlfriend sometimes implied she was emotionally abused. I randomly googled his name some time ago when something reminded me of him, and found him and his fanfic on ff.net. I guess it's here if anybody wants to take a look, because I sure as heck don't want to read it again.

God, it's embarrassing I still remember all this crap, but I guess its impossible to forget how a fanfic taught you about abortion.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
This reminds me of a post I found years ago on a forum that was mostly dedicated to making fun of furries. I lost interest quickly, but I saved this story about one of the Internet's first crazy fan-fiction writers.

JRR posted:

HOW TO GET THE MORTIMER STORY

Those of you who read Usenet in the early nineties probably had a sudden spasm of terror when you read that subject line - for the rest of you, meet one of My Favorite Furries: John Palmer. John may have been the Internet's first true spammer, but he didn't spam for money - he did it for his ART.

Sometime in 1991, John (also known as Dr. Roger Rabbit) wrote a piece of fanfiction for the cartoon show Tiny Toon Adventures. Unlike most fanboys, John didn't write about Fifi, Buster, or any other character that you or I might have heard of. No, he wrote about "Mortimer," a one-shot relative of Babs Bunny who appeared on screen for roughly four seconds.

Having completed his Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, John was left with one question: how to distribute it? This was before the web, mind you, so the two basic options were uploading it to an FTP site or posting it on Usenet. Neither of these options would suffice for the brilliant "MORTIMER Story!" John set to work creating a distribution system that would be remembered (forcefully) for years to come. On July 30, 1991, he put a message on alt.fan.furry and alt.tv.tiny-toons announcing his story and how to get it.

Wow.

Not one, not two, but SIX servers were directly connected to the internet, dedicated solely to distributing his great work via email. One could request the entire story at once, or, if such a task was too much for one's delicate constitution, just request specific parts.

At first, things seemed tranquil. John's automated posting software announced his story on the relevant toon and furry groups - first once a week, then once a day... then multiple times a day. Sadly, it seemed that people simply weren't requesting the story in the quantity that John had expected. His servers sat idle, waiting eagerly to send his legendary screed to the masses - but the masses weren't massing,

At this point, John's already fragile brain apparently snapped. The problem, he figured, was that people simply didn't know about his epic tale. Well, he'd MAKE THEM KNOW, BY GOD.

What followed was the single most painstaking non-commercial spam attack the Internet has ever seen. Every newsgroup - whether its subject was nuclear physics, the Grateful Dead or buttsex - was bombarded with instructions on "How to get the MORTIMER Story" for five solid years. The list in the link above is just partial; news administrators mercifully killed the vast majority of his posts before they could clog up the archives.

John even switched to a new internet service provider after virtually every news server on the planet killed his posts on sight. His rampage reached a peak in 1996, when he began posting his spam at a frantic pace and even spread out to the developing world wide web to advertise on message boards and mailing lists.

Then, he simply disappeared. Did he die? Did server companies refuse to do business with him? Or did he at last feel that his work was done - the MORTIMER story had finally reached its audience, and now he could rest? We may never know.

But here's the funny thing, and the reason I wanted to post this little bit of furry history. Despite John Palmer's insane efforts, despite his thousands upon thousands of spams, despite having six servers dedicated to sending his story around the world, there is only ONE complete copy of "The MORTIMER Story" on the internet!

I came across a "How to get the MORTIMER Story" spam while digging through the newsgroups, and after a burst of nostalgia, decided that it would be fun to read it again (I'd read it wayyyyy back in 1994, when I was obsessed with cartoons and would read anything remotely related to them.).

John's six servers are long gone. Repeated Google searches were futile. Tons of "MORTIMER" spam, lots of people asking where they could find this infamous story and links to dead FTP sites were all that came up. If you use google, you know that the key to a good search is finding the "magic phrase" that only the page you are looking for has so you can filter out all the crap. Thankfully, I found it.

After an hour of searching, my brain, which can't remember a telephone number for ten seconds or what type of blood I have, suddenly sprang to life and announced, "the word 'lonely' was misspelled towards the end of the story."

Son of a bitch. I remembered a misspelling in a lovely story I read once TEN YEARS ago, but can't remember my mom's birthday.

Anyway, here it is. To summarize the whole story, "TEEN ANGST (with rabbits)." This is, without a doubt, the most well-publicized piece of fanfiction on the internet, and one of the most infamous - John Palmer was inadvertently responsible for introducing the early internet to the furry fandom in its golden "Quozl" era and making us all... a little bit ickier.

I couldn't find the actual Mortimer story after a cursory search. Perhaps it's gone forever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I found part one.

quote:

---
+-------------------------------+
| MORTIMER - PART 1 |
+-------------------------------+

+----------------+
|12-December 2000|
+----------------+

why the gently caress doesnt it snow. so cold....

where is my key? hello - mom - you home? awww poo poo, i cant take
another note.... i know, ill read it, it'll drive me insane and then
she'll pay attention to me.

"Dear Mortimer, Went to Mrs. Brisbanes for an EMERGENCY Historical
Society meeting. PLEASE: clean your room.......do your homework and
take a bath.... LOVE mom"

AEEEEEEEEEEEEEERGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHGHHHHHH!! Thats it - I AM FIFTEEN YEARS
OLD - *I DONT TAKE BATHS - I TAKE SHOWERS*

wait - somethings wrong. this note is incomplete. she has been writing
the same note for over 5 years now, every day that she's not gonna be
home. letsee... holy cow!! she forgot the "...and don't you turn your
nose up at me, young man" part. whooah - i've graduated.

why does she think that all i need is some note from her. in fact, thats
all the communication she ever has with me any more. coming home to this
house is like coming home to an empty cave. nope - doesn't matter that
there is pop, mom and 14 kids still left here, no one thinks i exist.

what wrong? don't they have time for me? do they think "oh - mortimer
doesnt need anything"?? does she write this note every day, day after
day after day because she feels guilty? was i the sacrificial lamb in
their decision to spend more "quality time" with their brood? why do
they think that i dont need some of that time?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIT. where's that butcher knife? how about a little blood
splattered around this kitchen. that'll get ma hysterical. she'll be
running around the house checking on all her young'uns to see which
"poor baby" cut him/her self. hmmmm - when she finds out that its me,.
she'll say "oh, it's only you... whats your name.... max, melvin, ahh
<<<<<<ITS MORTIMER, DAMMIT>>>>>>> yes, ah mortimer. don't drip that
stuff all over the house, one of the babies might slip in it and
fall...."

well.... lets put that to the test... left or right hand? left hand -
right across the back... a big X ... OUCH THAT hurts. whoah this is
crucial - look at it spurt out. swing it around a bit there! - all over
the newly painted white cabinets, the refrigerator and the floor...
HA! now a puddle on the table (pop will kill me - if i dont die from
the blood loss first) - lets get dramatic ... lets see, where is that
drat ostrich feather... i'll write a cryptic message on mothers famous
note....

(c) CORN AND BLOOD, 1998
i take showers and my room is always clean.

there - she wont even read it i'm sure.... need a towel to wrap this
hand... ok - maybe it'll stop bleeding without me having to go to the
school nurse to get it bandaged up.

up to my room for another night of cold steel lonliness.... gotta lock
this door... man this hand hurts bad. if this doesn't get me some
sympathy, nothing will.....

whats that? she's home - let the *FUN* begin

<NOTE: For those who are not well versed in literary style - we are
now switching from train-of-though to direct dialog>

Annabel Bunny entered her home through the kitchen door, pushing her
children on ahead of her. She was too busy fussing with a stack of
papers to see the shop of horrors that her kitchen had become. "Now,
Emily you know you shouldn't push your little sister around like that.
Say you're sorry." Little Emily blurted out an incincere apology while
kicking her sister in the tail.

Little Joseph saw it first, but rather than being horrified, he squealed
with delight as little boys are want to do when a horror flick comes to
life in their own kitchen. "Excellent - hey mom, Freddie Krueger killed
someone in our kitchen." Now finished with the task of getting the 6
smallest children into the house, Mrs. Bunny was finally able to look
up and survey the mess. "Ohmygosh - what happened here.... stay away
from those puddles, children!" Horrified, she hustled the screaming
kids into the living room. "Oh no, I've gotta find out who cut themselves!"

Of her 63 kids, only fourteen still lived at home, and six of those
fourteen were with her at the meeting, the remaining eight being old
enough to be at home alone. Annabel shouted at the ceiling, ordering
any and all of the inhabitants to "come down here, RIGHT NOW!" The
frightened shakey tone in her voice told the kids that, no they werent
in for a lecture or a beating, but that something was really wrong. In
a thunderous roar that shook the house, seven Bunny children came stampeding
down the stairs and surrounded her in a semi-circle. Shouts of "whats
wrong mama??" and the like rose from the mob. Joseph briefed them on
the situation with enthusiasm: "Someone got killed right in OUR kitchen
and there's blood all over the place - its NEAT!!" Before he could
finish the sentence, the kids were all making a dash for the scene of
the crime to investigate. "EWWW - GROSS!!, WHAT HAPPENED!?" was the general
remark bandied about. Annabel broke up the noisy melee with a shout. "OK
WHAT HAPPENED HERE? DOES ANYBODY KNOW??" Not getting any answer, she
began to inspect each of the seven for any signs of injuries. "Now, lets
see - thats everybody", she though to herself, becoming more and more
perplexed every minute. "Alright, everyone upstairs while mommy cleans
up this mess."

With their marching orders in hand, the mob filed upstairs quietly, still
whispering amongst themselves. Annabel entered the kicthen slowly, hoping
that the mess wasn't any worse than it appeared during her first
hurried glance. She tiptoed over to the sink, not wanting to step in any
of the crimsom puddles. "Bill is gonna flip! He just painted these
cabinets. I hope it comes off.", she thought as she filled the bucket
up with water. Slowly, she got used to the mess and was able to clean it
without cringing. When she got to the table, she grabbed the piece of paper
on it and, seeing that it was just her generic note-of-the day to Mortimer,
she tossed it in the trash without a second thought.

Tears streamed down his face as he sat on his bed, back flat up against the
headboard, holding his throbbing left hand in a blood stained towel. "She
didn't even look for me!" he wimpered as he adjusted the towel so that it
wouldn't fall off and slid down into the bed and curled up in a ball. Sleep
was always the cure for anything. Just close your eyes and the pain goes
away ... well at least for awhile..

With a masterpiece like this, how could you resist the next thrilling parts?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/bizarre-unsolved-mystery-of-my-immortal.html

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

Like Stonehenge or the works of Shakespeare, we’ll probably never know who was behind “My Immortal”
:thumbsup:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shakespeare didn't write any of his plays.

It was someone else with the same name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I wrote a fanfic, once. When I was 12 I was heavily invested in the band The Offspring. Well, I wrote that the lead singer Dex Holland and Noodles (the guitarist) were in a secret homosexual tryst when they got caught by the cops and shot to death. Anyway, that's it. Cya.

• Locked thread